Sign in to follow this  

Lack of PvP in Oz (Zero PvP in Oz)

When I played OFP on OGN back in 2002-2003, I was dismayed at how infrequently coop missions were selected. Was always dm, c&h, ctf, or (shudder) cti.

Edited by Mr.Peanut
oops

well to be fair the GoN server has seen a bit of PvP action lately, not much, but a bit, usually late at night when noone cbf starting a new warfare game

well to be fair the GoN server has seen a bit of PvP action lately, not much, but a bit, usually late at night when noone cbf starting a new warfare game

yeah i put a few AAS missions on the server ages ago but really, trying to get the players to start a pvp game is like talking to a brick wall

they pretty set in their ways

oh and hi guys

long time listener first time caller.... :) (in here at least)

When setting up the parameters in Warfare, many people ask for lots of towns, lots of AI. They aren't interested in small-scale Warfare maps with a focus on PvP.

Team v Team contact is usually made within 30 minutes of a Warfare match starting, even on the largest settings. Basically from there every town can become a potential PvP setting whilst still remaining in the larger picture of a map wide conflict.

But yeah I understand what you're saying, the quick'n'dirty style PvP isn't really well welcomed on that server as most people prefer to play around with vehicles that they can buy/choose.

Hi peeps,

I'd love to try and join a strictly PvP game, but each time i fire up server browser and check servers listed at AAS website I get zero players. Hence the question, are you guys still around and what time is best for joining games (I'm +1 GMT)?

I hope you can help me get the taste of PvP games in Arma2 because thus far my MP experience has been abysmal as I am not interested in large scale battles against AI.

I hope I won't get any flak for this but Dragon Rising despite its lack of dedis offers better PvP (Infiltartion) than Arma2.

Anyways, I'll appreciate your help!

The only two AAS servers I ever see with players is Armacalypse and some Russian one.

Armacalypse is only populated between 11pm-4am EST/EDT

the Russian server I see populated around noon+ EST/EDT

Yeah, I joined the Russian one yesterday. It peaked at 20 people and then I had enough (for some reason I get eyestrain when playing A2). It was fun though, and I wish there were more servers like that one. I do not get why there are so few, and why people get such a kick out of shootng AI.

Well, I do hope things will get a bit more lively with the release of OA.

why would ya buy a game like arma if you only want PvP action?????

surely you people can realise this game wasnt built for small scale deathmatch????

the only potential i can see in this game is large scale warfare, or god forbid coop missions, as much as i hate coop and sympathise with u all there, why the hell would you buy a game like this to only play ctf or aas???

the only mp mission to play in arma is warfare as far as im concerned...

Because this game was built for everything. The only thing in its design that doesn't work well with player vs player is lack of competitive mission design, since all missions are user-made and don't get the amount of playtesting/updating that true competitive missions receive (when you compare to other games that can be played competitively). Also islands might have been designed before the missions were designed which makes mission making more difficult, but not at all impossible.

But yes I agree there isn't much point to buying the game if you only play AAS or only play CTF or only play deathmatch. Just like you don't buy BFBC2 to just play on 1 game mode on 1 map with 1 weapon and don't buy Resident Evil 5 just to finish the game once on amateur on single player.

Of course I realize there's much more to A2 than just PvP. All I am saying is that playtesting missions in the editor gets old sooner or later (at least for me), and the thrill of outwitting a skillful and organized human opposition is immesurably greater than eliminating AI. At the very least you all have the same limitations imposed by the game (like not seeing through grass for example).

Gibbo, I do not understand the reason for condescension in your reply. Why should I not want to play objective based PvP missions in the open world, filled-to-the brim with expansions game like A2?

Gibbo, I do not understand the reason for condescension in your reply. Why should I not want to play objective based PvP missions in the open world, filled-to-the brim with expansions game like A2?

Probably no real reason, other than the fact he probably found himself playing badly made PvP missions and then based on that decided that the game wasn't meant for PvP. Or maybe he didn't even play PvP at all and just because most people play coop he decided the game wasn't made for PvP. Unless I had some mission making experience myself knowing that something better could've been done if people were actually willing to play it, I might have ended up thinking the same thing.

i dont mean to sound condescending, its just that all the PvP missions ive played are very basic, they almost feel like every other fps game ive played, what sets this game apart from every other FPS is its depth, i guess i just prefer missions that make the most of the games features, seems a waste to play basic CoD style PvP in a game that offers so much more.