Sign in to follow this  
Archamedes

do other countries get offended?

German jokes about 1940 French defeat (and following occupation) are, to say the least, of very bad taste.

it´s one of the bloke on the street jokes, which made them feel better after loosing ww1. and if u try to see it with the eyes from a german bloke of that time, after the endless battles of ww1 with no success, the rather short campaign seemed like they really dropped their rifles. the wehrmacht instead had highest respect for the french army which in many cases fought to the last bullet. the german newsreels of that time didn´t made jokes about them, they always talk from stiff resistance and heroic fighting, and from a honorable enemy. so dont be too angry about that.

I think everyone makes jokes about their neighbours or enemys, thats just our nature^^

it´s one of the bloke on the street jokes, which made them feel better after loosing ww1. and if u try to see it with the eyes from a german bloke of that time, after the endless battles of ww1 with no success, the rather short campaign seemed like they really dropped their rifles. the wehrmacht instead had highest respect for the french army which in many cases fought to the last bullet. the german newsreels of that time didn´t made jokes about them, they always talk from stiff resistance and heroic fighting, and from a honorable enemy. so dont be too angry about that.

Ok, i didn't see it like this. There's a big difference between an old joke of the time where the event took place, and the same one said now with the historical knowledge of the same event.

@Tonci87 : yes, i agree with this, but some jokes awake painful memories.

@Tonci87 : yes, i agree with this, but some jokes awake painful memories.

And its on us to just laugh over it and move on. History can´t be changed, but we can make the Future better

And its on us to just laugh over it and move on. History can´t be changed, but we can make the Future better

Amen to that :)

isn´t it sad that i tried to think about a actual joke about the french and don´t have one.

well, here we go..

whats that? :bounce2:

a french frog

:icon_eek: great joke, i know :D

The way i see it, with the way we have progressed over the last 70 years i cannot see germany being an enemy in the future. (saying that it wasn't strictly germany, just hitlers crazy ideas of ruling europe.) Russia? Not sure, i mean every now and again there is a slight hiccup between russia and america but its always really been kept under control and i guess it only takes that one big thing that could spark a war. Korea every now and again upsets someone due to them stockpiling nukes (again with america telling other countries what they can and cant do.) But at the moment it seems the only real war is the one going on in the middle east but how can it ever end? the taliban have been fighting for centuries, war is all they know and getting them to stop wont be easy. I can only see us fighting them for 50 years to come before everyone sits down and says "so we have been at war for 50 years, spent trillions and lost soo many of our soldiers, where has it got us?"

Asside from all that it is never really the country or its people that cause the wars its mainly the politicians or people in charge that cause or start them. All it takes is one fanatic/crazy politician to take over a country and thats it. We all seem to be getting along fine at the moment and wether or not our governments admit or deny it we are always spying on other countries to see what they are up to.

im sure most have heard the classic french joke

"the french hate americans and british, except when the german army is sitting in paris." That is actually a dumbed down sketch made by robin williams on one of his stand up shows he did

we should remember at that dumbtard called robin williams than also americans hate french people till they dont being helped by french officers,soldiers and generals and even from french money to liberate their country.american indipendence war :rolleyes:.

or when they need help to invade other countries...cough cough guess is called iraq cough

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Problem is, that the same tabloid mentality doesn't correct for history.

yeah and unfortunately i see another problem,this silly ignorant tabloid mentality

is influencing to much the people.

i love to play each side in ofp,no matter which side i playing

Unfortunately a country's perception to others is usually determined by its government and its armed forced, not by the individual people who live there.

(And god forbid if it still happens in this day and age, where schools teach emotive versions of international history)

So any perception you have of French or Americans or Germans or British or whoever is based I what you know about that countries internal and external politics (including any Media bias), and very little to do with its wonderful people who you've probably never had more than a 1 sentence exchange with in a forum!

But all this said, (and on topic) I get tired of "american perspective" games, but simple ignore as I know its part&parcel of the "american war machine" which is keep its economy in dollars.

But note, other countries also help keep there banks full using the same technique of selling arms to conflicts or arms-races, so that wasnt mean to be anti-american.

So for a game I don't link OPFOR with "Russians people" and BLUFOR to "American people", its a game with just "sides". For me,it more about 2 sides with different types of technology.

Which always amazes me when people (like in MP games) are so set on "I never play OFPOR" or "I hate playing Americans", "French mod? No way!" .... laughable.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

More sides/factions and a believable storyline? Too much work, too time-consuming and too much issues + bugs for profiteers.

Apparently many people like simple/unreal stories with a clear plot between good vs evil.

In how many games (+ films) the good side isn't always good, brave and heroic?