Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

co@34_Domino, more realistic Domination...

Been going a lot back and forth today, will check if it helps any before I release anything new. I'm puzzled, as it uses pretty much the same code as in Domination (incl "ace_weapononback"). It may be problematic there as well, but the impact of the bug is less severe. Anyway, when I tested, I actually didn't drop anything. It was still there, hidden somehow. If the model was not shown, I could still switch to SMAW and get up the ruck of all things. No, I didn't try firing the ruck :D I found that if I clicked "on back" a couple of times, things got back to normal.

Correct, the weapon on back doesn't go away; becomes visible once I click the to back button again.

However, I seem to lose what I have in the backpack when respawning. I've tried moving the backpack between secondary slot and on back. I've even tried the drop ruck action, but the content is still gone. Might need some investigation.

Then there's one thing on balance. After completing a main mission, some bmps came in. We managed to kill the gunner on one, and the admin was able to use a lock/unlock action on the bmp. That caused the driver to disembark and we could steal the bmp...

Hi Carl

Tried to run the mission last night on our server and it never started up. Ill try again tonight but there should be nothing significant to get it going is there?

@gunterlund21: For the current version I don't think so. There was one version that wouldn't start after an ACE update since they changed the new Army trucks, but that was quickly fixed. I only tried (a newer edit) and got a server hang, but managed to track it down to missing -exThreads parameter on the server (newer beta versions). I forgot to check if it was mission specific before I added the parameter and everything worked again.

@HulkingUnicorn: Well, I think I've managed to find and fix the backpack and inventory bug. It has been a struggle, and my own stupid fault, not that that was unexpected... Ehhm, you killed the driver then used lock vehicle to get him out? :p I wasn't aware that admin could operate on enemy vehicles, will take a look, thanks for reporting it.

Let's hope that bug gets squashed then ;)

The driver was still alive inside the bmp. Then the player who was logged in as admin (he played as charlie team grenadier (the automatic launcher)) got an action by the bmp to unlock it. Nothing happened, but when he locked it again, the ai jumped out, then was gunned down by us. He unlocked it once more, and it was ours for the taking :D

Lol, the feature (although I've had some issues with it myself, that are supposed to be fixed in Domination2 which I don't yet use) wasn't made for that - stealing enemy vehicles. Only to prevent people for stealing stuff if admin wants a specific type of gameplay. I.e. locking the MHQ in base or preventing more than a single chopper to be used. Also, lock aren't supposed to have effect on AI, but no guarantees. I'll have a 'lock' at it :)

Edit: Should be fixed now.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

... post deleted by myself, as I'm leaving and won't leave this unfinished business behind :) ...

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Nice stuff CG! You and I differ on a couple things, but have to admit you have some good ideas there.

Seems like you might have forgotten to remove the wounds module from the non-wounds version. We start bleeding, but there are no bandages around :O

Oh dang! Big bummer I guess. I think for next version I will try to merge them instead, letting wounds just be a difficulty setting (default off, due to the rather heavy penalty for solo players waiting for people). Trying to juggle two versions (I'm not using dom maker) will cause errors like that.

Thanks Evil_Echo, much appreciated. Yeah, ideas are one thing, making them work (without fuzz, keeping balance, making it fun, sensible limits without strangulation, not producing exploits) is a whole different matter for me :)

Not really. I think I'm going to wait for OA and ACE for OA. Too much work considering so few is playing the mission. Less than a month left to wait, and merging takes a while (a lot of changes). And since it's summer and everyone else have other priorities, I really have nobody to test it with, meaning nothing but buggy releases (multiplayer is a nightmare, even if Xeno has made excellent code "forcing us to do it right" :p).

Harsh anti addon policy and how MP games are being played on public servers have just about killed my interest for public MP games. Currently only involved with SP mission stuff for own amusement only. Sad I guess, because I really enjoyed watching people play Domino "with care" rather than the typical "run n gun" attitude seen in Domination (typically, exceptions do exist naturally, but rare in the public domain).

Harsh anti addon policy and how MP games are being played on public servers have just about killed my interest for public MP games. Currently only involved with SP mission stuff for own amusement only. Sad I guess, because I really enjoyed watching people play Domino "with care" rather than the typical "run n gun" attitude seen in Domination (typically, exceptions do exist naturally, but rare in the public domain).

One thing i think is part of making people not playing as intended is the damn score board, for many it's all about getting first to zone to get some kills and rise on the scoreboard. Maybe if server admins disabled that scoreboard it would help a bit!

@Carl Gustaffa

That's too bad. We've been playing it between normal missions, but we're a bit few usually to play with this wounds implementation - guess I'll just remove the module from the version which isn't supposed have it then.

Most random joiners seemed to like it as well, even if they were quite surprised about the respawn timer :D

@JW Custom

The score board might have that kind of effect, yes. It's also used to determine whether or not you killed any enemies behind some trees with your grenade or not, putting less emphasis on caution when confirming your kills.

Then again, I believe the consequences of death when unlimited respawn is present have a greater influence on reckless behavior.

Then again, I believe the consequences of death when unlimited respawn is present have a greater influence on reckless behavior.

Well when people are being punished too much when getting killed they tend to leave server.

How many lives should players have in Domination, it is after all a long game. Some people just play for an hour or two while other people plays for 8+ hours straight.

Imagine Domination with a 5min respawn wait, it wouldn't most likely not be very popular :o

I think mission makers & server settings can only do so much, it's up to the server admins and not least the players themself to maintain a good game.

Then again if admins are enforcing strict rules on how to play lots of people will get tired of it and leave, so in the end it's the players who decides the gaming experience.

... post deleted by myself, as I'm leaving and won't leave this unfinished business behind :) ...

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I agree with you but i just don't believe it would work in missions like Domi, it's the mind of the players that have to be changed. In Domination players have all the oppertunity for teamwork it just rarely works.

Another thing making teamwork being problematic is when servers have "HUD Show Group" disabled which makes it difficult to find your team mates, and with people joining/leaving at different times it doesn't make it any easier.

I'm in progress making a mission similar to Domi and i started out making it like i would prefere, without teleport and with a long respawn wait etc. but the more i played on public Domi servers it became clear it would be popular at all.

Hello) what the name your server this new Domination map? :) or here to talk only about the mission.

( sorry for bad english )

Hello) what the name your server this new Domination map? :) or here to talk only about the mission.

( sorry for bad english )

There's no specific server whoever wants to host it can host it!

Edited by CarlGustaffa

The way to get missions most "popular" seems to be making them more and more convenient, and have lots and lots of hardware action in them.

Indeed, thats what the server admins want, have their server populated and that happens by hosting popular missions, and as you say popular these days means convenient :o

I think it's cool that you have made this more hardcore version of Domi, too bad there's not more people who can see it's potential.

I still think the scoreboard has a huge impact on the gameplay, there would lot less rambo'ing without it as nobody would see your "super killing skills" listed. This would be a very simple way to start the new "team play wave" :p

@Keshman: You should have it in your mission cache already You've been visiting our server a few times, but only to stay for a few minutes.

Yes), I join many Domination map :) I like Domi ACE West, East :bounce3: but this going for two reasons:

1. not the correct version of the ACE my and server.

2. Game from first person. (this view, many players) because many players have BIG monitors and it is bad (unpleasant) to the eye!(

(!!!I wrote my opinion and those whom I know!!!) do not be offended!!! ;) This a forum)

text was translated by Google translator! :)

Thx.

None taken :) Yeah I guess we run pretty harsh settings - pretty much everything turned off on all difficulties except recruit, which I only use for debugging purposes. To compensate, the enemies are set quite inaccurate. Due to the enemies use of artillery and mortars when you try to "keep safe at a distance", you're pretty much forced to get up close and personal as soon as possible. Keep moving, keep shooting, and you should increase your survival rate :)

Agree on the scoreboard. Still, we do get out kills listed on the statistics screen. But at least we can't compare to others.

I reckon we can clean out the statistics screen as well, but I suppose that would need an addon or implementation in each mission (haven't seen anything on the ACE site regarding settings to disable it).

Intercept the I key and tell the engine the key is allready handled, there you go (or whatever key brings up the stats screen).

Xeno