Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VF Ladder Addon

VF Ladder Addon

When run, this addon adds options to the player's action menu to spawn ladders. These ladders can be used to climb onto rooftops and to enter any otherwise inaccessible part of the Arma II houses (e.g. balcony) or just to annoy your buddies. It is kind of a silly addon but it opened new perspectives on urban combat for me. There is just too many locked buildings around. Check out the Youtube link to get an idea about this addon.

Ladders can be:

• Created (small and big type available)
  • Moved around until dropped by the player
  • Raised or lowered by 50cm at any time after being placed
  • Removed within 60 seconds after placing them
  • Flipped by 180 degrees to allow positioning as required

How to use

Drop VFladder.pbo into your addons folder. During gameplay, press ESC, then press the VFladder button and the required entries will be added to your action menu. Now go and fool around with those ladders.

Tested in MP and SP.

Youtube Link

Download Mirrors

Armaholic.com: VFladder addon download

Armed Assault Info: VFladder addon download

Build Revisions

• 08 - Added server keys (only required on clients but still)
  • 08 - Player menu entries will be removed after 5 min idle period for VFladders (press ESC to start again)
  • 08 - Slight code corrections
  • 04 - Initial Release

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

Wonderful Assala Yusef and then Dominique Hourani are both performing "Al Khashooqa". Music of the world; today lebanese pop was on the menu.

VictorFarbau

Thanks Victor. Now At least we players have some additional advantage against the wicked AI...or can you implement the ability of AI using this kind of ladders? :D

this is great

I have a ladder spawning in evolution but you can't move it so it's a bit hit and miss. it is great fun though.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/eggbeast/roof.jpg

will take a look at your pbo. would you mind if I adapted the moving script for my ladder which is built into the mission rather than making a separate pbo?

on a side note... I was thinking of making a custom M203 nade which has no bounce and is quite heavy and 999 ammo in the mag, and scripting a teleport to its pos, so you could use it as a grappling hook to climb up walls... but it might seem a bit odd.

this is great

would you mind if I adapted the moving script for my ladder which is built into

If you prefer your script then feel free to use the code by all means.

VictorFarbau

Hmm..This is cool and all, but wouldnt it be more logical to use a rope?

Maby with a hook or something?? Maybe be more realistic..

ACE have the ropes..

;1612493']Hmm..This is cool and all' date=' but wouldnt it be more logical to use a rope?

Maby with a hook or something?? Maybe be more realistic..

ACE have the ropes..[/quote']

You were quicker...exactly the same came to my mind. It's quite unrealistic that somebody carries a ladder with him.

I don't think realism is the key property or goal here guys :)

Although, for some realism (if it gets expanded on) the ladders could be stored individually on a designated vehicle.

I don't think realism is the key property or goal here guys :)

No kidding :) ACE, ropes and all that is about realism. This addon is strictly about gameplay and how to improve it. Carrying a bunch of long ladders in your pocket is as realistic as running around in a whole city of fake buildings - we could say they share the same denominator.

Then again, I personally don't mind ropes as an alternative; this is maybe something for a future build (ACE detection -> rope addon usage).

VictorFarbau

It's hard to imagine too many soldiers running around with ladders as being realistic. I'm not sure how someone could get that idea.

Ladder to the roof? Nope, a tank shell to the wall and take the stairs. Or just bring the roof down to you. ;)

Since that's not an option in A2 the ladder is a fantastic addition to game play.

Edited by Manzilla

Seems to me it makes up for the inability to "climb" stuff. Cool idea! :D

You were quicker...exactly the same came to my mind. It's quite unrealistic that somebody carries a ladder with him.

Yes.. so unrealistic to have modern western military that fights a lot in urban situations nowadays to have tactical ladders.. Now maybe go and google about tactical ladders for military use and I promise to every single one of you who doubts:

All the grappling hooks are not something a regular military uses to get up but down on the walls. Don't play too much CoD folks, it rapes your mind.

(model VF uses doesn't match on the majority of tactical ladders design but really, does it matter).

Ummmm could open a whole new playing field in that I could use it to get high and hide in a tree woooot :P could be fun if its implemented a little better eg having to transport it on car roof etc?.

Any who great mod nice idea

edit

not sure how this would work in MP if servers coul ban it some how but if there is no way of checking on server this could be used to cheat couldn't it :(

Edited by stk2008

LOL ok so if the script is free to use it wouldnt be a problem if used in ACE mod then.

2 get up that tree and snipe at 2 a clock....

Nice Stuff!! :D ..

now please do the same with a rope addon, to rappel off steep walls, too high for ladders.. ;) .. big please! :)

(ie placing the anchor point with the view, like the ladders, then releasing the rope down..)

Seems to me it makes up for the inability to "climb" stuff. Cool idea! :D

That's actually a good idea - make the ladder invisible and say it's a "climb" function :)

That's actually a good idea - make the ladder invisible and say it's a "climb" function :)

Yep we also need a heystack that will act as a quick and safe exit no matter the height :p .

Yep we also need a heystack that will act as a quick and safe exit no matter the height :p .

I hear they are just going to make aeroplanes out of hay from now on as assassin's creed has proved you only need 3" of hay to stop a 200lb man at terminal velocity. I think i'm going to go home tonite and stuff my airbag full of hay also.

back on topic this looks like a great addon gunna have to try it out

What's the terminal velocity of a swallow?

Edit:

And DM - if the ladder is invisible, how will you know if it is positioned correctly? :D And what if you lose it?

"Pardon me, friend, can you help me find my invisible ladder?"

Edit:

And DM - if the ladder is invisible, how will you know if it is positioned correctly? :D And what if you lose it?

Being a girl, I guess you never knew the haphazard nature of climbing stuff ;)

Sometimes you climb, sometimes you only climb so high, sometimes you don't climb. There, now you're a tomboy :D

LMAO

I'll have you know I've climbed many a tree to a dangerous height, often rappelling down too quickly. (In fact, I mis-fed my line through my home-made harness and basically slid down the rope about 10m at one point, landing flat on my back! Kids, don't try that at home!)

I will neither confirm nor deny any gender confusion issues you may have. ;)

Edit:

Is that an african or european swallow?

can i also get some clarification on this please? If this is client side could one not use it to climb things on a server that would not be climbable by others therefore giving aforementioned persons an advantage? Just curious

Is that an african or european swallow?

can i also get some clarification on this please? If this is client side could one not use it to climb things on a server that would not be climbable by others therefore giving aforementioned persons an advantage? Just curious

Thats is what I asked in first post earlier :(