Sign in to follow this  
kremator

AC130 script from LurchiDerLurch

Time to test this update of your great scripts. :) Will test and give some feedback.

Thank you!

I wouldn't bother doing separate levels of zoom Lurchi ..... Perhaps increasing the level of zoom another couple of notches.

Regarding the AI gunner - could the AI determine the level of threat and use the weapon accordingly?

I can read out the "cost" of a unit (tank is more expensive than a jeep and a medic is more expensive than a regular soldier)

so I think yes... and that was my plan ;)

Lovely!

So over a certain "cost" the 105mm is used etc. Makes sense.

What worries me is that the AI gunner is going to be SO effective that, after calling the AC130, all that is left is smoldering vehicles and dead bodies and nothing for me to shoot :) I'm sure you can put in code that means that the AI has a difficult time finding targets (based on height perhaps)

Is it also possible to make Tunguskas fire at the AC130? In the demo mission I'm sure that the only AC130 to be fired at was the one I started off in. The full AI (mapclick called one) wasnt targetted but should also be able to be shot down.

One final thing ... I like the new system for moving the central point of orbit. Would it be possible, instead of suddenly appearing over the target that it ingresses in a straight line (ala moving orbit point) from a certain distance away (very similarly to MMA bomb console jets/helos)?

Thanks for all this hard work ....... you know where I am :)

I'm working on AI support. it's not that difficult ;) The only tricky thing is, when does the AI shoot, what shell, how many and at which target... the shooting itself is already done.

Maybe not 100% realistic but one option could be to use the LaserDesignator to tell where/what the AI should engage?

Something like...

1. Laze target/area.

2. Call AC-130 support via radio menu, could have different options depending on what ammo and/or number of rounds to use.

As Kremator says...letting the AI loose with all this firepower there will be very few targets left ;)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Isn't that what the AC-130 supposed to do? Turn everything into a smoking pile of debris?

Er, how do I make missions with this little script?

Maybe I'm a little daft but I really don't know how to

Edited by ray243

Look at the mission that comes with it. Open init.sqf, description.ext and mission.sqm and see how it is implemented.

If I can add it to Virtual Training Space then it must be easy to do !

Isn't that what the AC-130 supposed to do? Turn everything into a smoking pile of debris?

that's exactly my opinion...

I should think that the C130 would be a sort of Deus Ex Machina. You bring it in when the player needs divine intervention. The player then watches the action in complete awe.

Yeah, just a bit more zoom for the 24mm and the 40mm. Just like in Modern Warfare 1 & 2, I find the 40mm to be the best general purpose weapon the bird boasts. I just want to be able to make missions that are "intimate" enough that I can help a fireteam wend its way through opposition and obstacles, like in MW1/2. (I don't need to be able to read the brand name on their sunglasses, though.)

Also, I noticed that if my altitude is about 400meters and I fire the 105mm towards targets on the horizon the tracer drops over distance but the explosion from impact displays higher/farther-away. Maybe it has something to do with the OpticalSnare tracer addon I'm using?

This is a great addition to ArmA!

Oh, and I think that one of the Tunguska's did notice me, even at 1000 meters up, and fire at me a few times.

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF

Look at the mission that comes with it. Open init.sqf, description.ext and mission.sqm and see how it is implemented.

If I can add it to Virtual Training Space then it must be easy to do !

Still don't know how lol. I really am a noob. I added th int file into the laptop, I called AC130 but it told me sqf file can't be found. And I guess I really need a step by step tutorial. Sorry guys......

Edited by ray243

that's exactly my opinion...

seconded.

Maybe limiting the ammo might be a solution to not KILL everything.

I should think that the C130 would be a sort of Deus Ex Machina. You bring it in when the player needs divine intervention. The player then watches the action in complete awe.

Yeah, just a bit more zoom for the 24mm and the 40mm. Just like in Modern Warfare 1 & 2, I find the 40mm to be the best general purpose weapon the bird boasts. I just want to be able to make missions that are "intimate" enough that I can help a fireteam wend its way through opposition and obstacles, like in MW1/2. (I don't need to be able to read the brand name on their sunglasses, though.)

Also, I noticed that if my altitude is about 400meters and I fire the 105mm towards targets on the horizon the tracer drops over distance but the explosion from impact displays higher/farther-away. Maybe it has something to do with the OpticalSnare tracer addon I'm using?

This is a great addition to ArmA!

Oh, and I think that one of the Tunguska's did notice me, even at 1000 meters up, and fire at me a few times.

The 105mm is a little problem... 25mm and 40mm are shells and I can accelerate them... but the 105mm is a BOMB... like rockets, they don't like the setVelocity (the way I accelerate the shells)... so the 105mm isn't really flying...

There aren't enough different shells in arma2 ... :(

Tunguska: Yeah, sometimes they shot me down with a rocket... ^^

LDL, I'm thinking that Armored Personnel Carriers and better-armored vehicles would not be affected much by the concussion of any of these rounds, that you would need to hit them fairly directly. Is it possible to simulate that?

Here was some surprising information about the blast radius of various weapons... (watch from 1:45+)

uMSfD4roMxY

For some reason the sound is strange or distorted for me. Anyone else? 105 mm sounds like clicks.

The 105mm is a little problem... 25mm and 40mm are shells and I can accelerate them... but the 105mm is a BOMB... like rockets, they don't like the setVelocity (the way I accelerate the shells)... so the 105mm isn't really flying...

There aren't enough different shells in arma2 ... :(

Is there anyway to slow down the shells any, make it so the player has to lead their targets by some degree. The 25mm shoots pretty fast, but the 40mm should take a bit of time, and for the 105mm perhaps make is land so many seconds after being fired determined by the planes altitude since it can't be adjusted. As it is right now, it is too easy to hit your target even when they are moving, need to make it so the gunner has to choose and aim for their targets with some sort of skill.

I've adjusted the altitude some, tried 2000, but that was too high, couldn't make anything out very well. Then I tried 1500 and that was better, hard to see infantry though, but it works, just have to know what your looking for. Could the zoom be determined by the planes altitude, the 25mm having the highest zoom and go back a bit with the 40mm, then more with the 105. Probably put a limit as to how 'far' you can zoom in toward the ground.

Edited by thegunnysgt

Can anyone please help me with getting this script to work?

Where's the problem? There is a example mission for the editor.

There is no reason why it shouldn't work.

And if you want this script in another mission you'll have to copy everything except the mission.sqm into the new mission...

Exellent work! :yay:

AC-130's operating altitude is still a militray secret. Never the less, it depends on the effective range of 25mm cannon. Consider the known footage on internet I guess during the fire mission they fly in height between 900-1500 meters, keep the stright distance to tangos at about 1500-4000 meters, most probably longer. Actually they do not need to be sensitive at "safe height", due to the absolute mastery of sky. Obviously they have a deeper zoom tool than this script. :D:D Please increase it. AC130 only execute missions at night. So if possible, please make a better FLIR effect.(AA2OA's preview includes the effect it should be. More light on models, Less light on terrains, made it sharply clear defined.)

is there any way to make the AC130 captive? i want it to be usable by all and not be targeted by anti-air defences. so whoever calls it frm the laptop can operate with impunity.

I assume its adding a setcaptive true in the script, but where and what name?

got this working perfectly in MP, it disagree's with a few things but make the mission relativly simple and it works a treat, all can use it when hosted on the server without fail. One slight fun glitch. When the copilot mounts the gun the driver can use autopilot and mount a gun too, effectivly making it a AC130 x 2. oh man the carnage. =) dont fix this, its a welcome bug.

is there any way to make the AC130 captive? i want it to be usable by all and not be targeted by anti-air defences. so whoever calls it frm the laptop can operate with impunity.

I assume its adding a setcaptive true in the script, but where and what name?

got this working perfectly in MP, it disagree's with a few things but make the mission relativly simple and it works a treat, all can use it when hosted on the server without fail. One slight fun glitch. When the copilot mounts the gun the driver can use autopilot and mount a gun too, effectivly making it a AC130 x 2. oh man the carnage. =) dont fix this, its a welcome bug.

I'll fix this :yay:

I know this has been asked for alot, but any chance of an extra level of zoom?

Dont worry about having a different one for each weapon as we have the option to choose anyway and sure players will use the most appropriate one.

Is the zoom set anywhere in the script that I can edit and test?

thanks again.

The zoom will be more fluent in the next version and better implemented... as it is now it's not very good...

I know this has been touched upon earlier, but is it confirmed that as long as the player is in the "AC130 Camera" mode, enemies will not spot and engage the gunship?

I made a mission with several Tunguskas and Shilkas but I could fly over the area with no missiles and no guns being fired my way?

I presume it is a bug, somehow the enemy does not detect the aircraft as the player is in "camera" mode, as it is a sort of limbo due to the scripting. As soon as I press ESC and return to normal mode, they open up.

Is there a way to fix this, or will it implemented in the next update? Thanks.

I have no idea... maybe it's because the plane is being set to the new position constantly and the enemies don't really see it... but sometimes I got shot from an tungusta... :/

I assume that this a problem of the arma2 engine...