Sign in to follow this  
Schancky

British 3 Para

Bunnyman: Soldiers wearing berets may do so if the threat analysis permits it and if the patrol is a social patrol, but only if the threat analysis and intelligence permits it even during social patrols. Do you really want to play a mission in ArmA2 where you do nothing more than a social patrol? I dare to guess: no. Correct? Why would you want to wear a beret (other than the coolness factor) when it offers you no ballistic protection? Further more, they offer no shade from the sun, they are warmer (they´re made from wool, you know) than for instance, boonie hats, and the latter also offer shade from the sun and don´t look as aggressive as helmets during, for instance, a social patrol.

Berets are great when you´re at the barracks and displays, not in the field where they are of no use.

Edited by Tigerhund

Hey cool to see these ported! I'll have to give 'em a DL today.

As far as berets are concerned, I can see both sides of the whole argument here...but also we're talking about a game. I've been shot in the head and died and so has the OPFOR no matter what they were wearing on their head--helmet, beret, boonie, baseball cap, hell maybe even the odd chicken now and then. Neither does anything in ArmA2 offer shade from the sun nor do we have a sense of temperature. So it really doesn't matter either way.

Still discussions can go on and on--both pro and anti-beret, but at the end of the day this is a port. Stalker is working on his new stuff as we speak, so it doesn't matter. It's a port, and not like Schancky is going to modify them and create new models. So why go on about it? Just enjoy what we have and have fun with them in missions. :)

It's a port, and not like Schancky is going to modify them and create new models. So why go on about it? Just enjoy what we have and have fun with them in missions. :)

Yeah exactly :) I've only ported them so we have somthing to play with until Stalker releases his.

Glad people like them, but I have no doubt that stalker's updated 4 rifles will blow these out the water :p

Yepp Tigerhund, as I said, I agree. But there are missions that could allow for berets, such as during insurrections or ambushes. There are situations when UKF will find themselves under fire whilst wearing a beret.

Besides you don't think the majority of coop games are exactly that- social patrols?! In that sense the fun value is important.

There are a lot of clans right now that are using UKF add-ons with camos that do not suit the terrain (woodland DPMs in desert terrain and vice versa) but they so want to play using UK add-ons they ignore the hardcore realism and have fun. It is the same with wanting berets for paras and RM, lids which are such strong aspects of those corps' identities. If there was a choice available to clans of a purely genuine combat dress unit and patrol dress (beret) they would still use the beret a great deal.

Yepp Tigerhund, as I said, I agree. But there are missions that could allow for berets, such as during insurrections or ambushes. There are situations when UKF will find themselves under fire whilst wearing a beret.

On the off chance you're wearing a Beret or Boonie in the field, you will still have your helmet strapped to your webbing, and besides getting some rounds down and getting into cover, one of your priorities will be getting your lid on.

I know you're more interested in having them on an addon for reasons of fun or "coolness" (which I don't disagree with), and that this aspect isn't a discussion really related to the addon (which is a port and won't be modified anyway!) but claiming that IRL UK forces are likely to fight a contact with Berets on is wrong. a) You don't wear Berets where you're likely to get into contact and b) even when wearing one, your helmet is close to hand.

I appreciate and respect your "fun > realism" argument as a reason for having them in an addon, and I can agree with it, however I feel compelled to point out that your insistence that "they're worn in real life combat situations" is wrong. :)

Edited by Pathy

And who says a social patrol can't turn into an ambush situation?

Intel ain't perfect, and shit can get out of hand at any second.

I remember the Lowlands Warrior mod for Operation Flashpoint which gave players the option to put on or off the helmet and switch it for a beret, and also an action to camouflage your face.

That was pretty cool.

I remember the Lowlands Warrior mod for Operation Flashpoint which gave players the option to put on or off the helmet and switch it for a beret, and also an action to camouflage your face.

That was pretty cool.

UKF did it first ^^

Anyway we can please get these in a woodland version? Especially since Chenarus is woodland.

Yeah, I wonder how long until those 4 rifle soldiers come out. These will do nicely in the mean time.

I don't know how long to be honest... as long as it takes, i did say it would be done in february but it might take a bit longer i'm afraid.

That doesnt matter. Im in the same unit as BFalcon, im sure we can wiat a bit for those yours to come out ;)

I have a little problem here, i installed the BRIT 3 PARA MOD UNITS and worked alright then i also installed the BRITISH ROYAL COMMANDOS UNITS and on the EDITOR it just appears the BRITISH ROYAL COMMANDOS but i cannot find the BRIT 3 UNITS. It's just one or the another.

What can be the problem?

Thanks..

Great mod BTW, love em would be good in woodland camo too. Understand 4 rifles are in development look forward to em appreciate the work but after the best part of a year in development wonder if they will ever be done, hope so but these 3 para are more than good enough thanks guys.

when i try and play with these guys i get a CTD...any thoughts?

Great mod BTW, love em would be good in woodland camo too. Understand 4 rifles are in development look forward to em appreciate the work but after the best part of a year in development wonder if they will ever be done, hope so but these 3 para are more than good enough thanks guys.

the guy making 4 rifles is the guy who made these guys...they are just ported over from arma1. For people to do a woodland version of them they would need his permission which i can imagine he may be reluctant to give out with his 4 rifles in the works.

My units are still in development, they will at some point be released. Although I have been working on them since ARMA2's release I have not been able to spend very long actually working on them, real life has been very busy. As Aeneas2020 has hinted at, there is little point in having a Temperate DPM as my newer 4 rifles will be filling that gap soon (ish). This applies to any clan that wants to change it, they will need permission first.

@Vino3, does it just CTD? is there any message?

Just wanted to say that we've been using the 3PARA units on our closed server the past two weeks (since we restarted basically) and can't get over how well they look. They are so detailed!

Absolutely fantastic job Stalker and thanks for porting them over Schanky!

@STALKERGB, it says "arma 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for any inconvenience...send error report | do not send an error report"

you know the standard "this program fucked up" message lol

Hmm, you running any other mods at the same time? not sure why its doing that, the models are the same as the RMC ones, not sure what schancky changed in the config but dunno if that would cause it.

Silly question but you are definately using the ARMA2 para units rather than the ARMA1 ones?

not sure what schancky changed in the config but dunno if that would cause it.

Weapon classes were changed to include the PUKF weapons, and the unit class names were also changed.

Haven't had this problem before. I'm sure Stalker will be in a better position to answer than me :)

@STAALKERGB

yeh i am using the arma 2 ones. i am using...many other mods atm aswell. could that be the problem?

@Schancky

i have the pukf weapons pack

I have made a Unit replacement mod using this nice Brit3para mod, now you can run it as a replacement skin on any server, thank you STALKERGB for this wonderful mod

required :

British 3 Para

download here, and put it together with British 3 Para addons folder

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A0T9OLTW

Edited by WWIII

I have a little problem here, i installed the BRIT 3 PARA MOD UNITS and worked alright then i also installed the BRITISH ROYAL COMMANDOS UNITS and on the EDITOR it just appears the BRITISH ROYAL COMMANDOS but i cannot find the BRIT 3 UNITS. It's just one or the another.

What can be the problem?

Thanks..

I'm having the same problem as quoted,only the other way around.It seems to depend on which you install first!

seems a shame to have to choose between Rmc or Paras.