Sign in to follow this  
CombatComm

Serious question to mission makers about copywright and sound files.

Hey guys. So im putting some music in from various artist into my mission. I would assume that if I uploaded it for everyone to play it wouldent be a big deal considering its not for profit. I dont remember playing a mission that had copyrighted music or sound files before so I just wanted to play it safe and ask the veterans. Also while I have you guys in here, I am using the say command and was wondering if I could randomize what is said easily in the syntax with an or command or something. To give the triggers some randomness. So things dont get stale. chp1 say "brief1" or "brief2". Thanks

I've seen a few missions with custom music/sounds and never heard about big arrests because of using some music. ;) Though i think it's not legal i guess no one really cares. So if you don't use tons of albums in your mssions i don't think it's gonna be a problem.

To randomize conversations a bit try this.

_a = round (random 2);

switch (_a) do {
case 0: {jim say "xyz1"};
case 1: {jim say "xyz2"};
case 2: {jim say "xyz3"};
};

Another way is to use an array, which have turned out to be a practical method for me because you can add elements into the array as you like without modifying the rest of the script.

SpeechArray1 = ["speech1","speech2","speech3","speech4","speech5"];

Guy1 say (SpeechArray1 select (floor (random (count SpeechArray1))));

I don't think copywright owners would mind even if they found out that their music is used in usermade content to a "game".

1. Mission makers have usually lowered quality. So it doesn't sound as good as MP3

2. The max lenght of the music file is 120 seconds so you can't hardly ever use full song. (i think)

Does the speech array have to go into sqf form or can it be placed in an ingame trigger?

I don't think copywright owners would mind even if they found out that their music is used in usermade content to a "game".

1. Mission makers have usually lowered quality. So it doesn't sound as good as MP3

2. The max lenght of the music file is 120 seconds so you can't hardly ever use full song. (i think)

You could ask the artist for permission for example if you wanna do a correct thing. In case he's still alive. On myspace you can reach nearly everybody throughout personal messages. That would be the right thing to do. In case you receive no answer it's up to your conscience. Illegal distrubution of music throughout the Internet did a lot of harm to the music Industry and it is still doing harm. Uploading somebodies intellectual propperty without expressive permission granted is against the law, but a lot people who are surfing the net takes granted that everything is for free. And it did damage to the Music Industry way back in the mid 90's and it's doing the same now to the movie Industry. People are downloading pirated copies rather than buying stuff.

My apologies for my rant, I hope I didn't spoil the party.

1) the reason is that the ogg format is far more compressed than the mp3 format. The sound quality suffers the higher the compression. If you would compare mp3 format against wav there's just a huge difference for a trained ear to notice. You are losing frequencies when compressing music.

2.) This isn't entirely accurate, I used songs in game around 3.40 min of playtime. I really don't know if there's a limit.

Just do what you think it's right . . . do the right thing!:D

Kind regards

nettrucker

Edited by nettrucker

Hey a qestion about the speech array I have thespeech array set up in my missions init folder. When te game runs I think the array is running cuz it chooses a random file but it says sound "jimmy" cannot be found. All of my music is in a file called Sound in my mission folder. All in .ogg vorbis. Does speech array files have to be in a different folder?

I would assume that if I uploaded it for everyone to play it wouldent be a big deal considering its not for profit.

It depends on your local laws. In Germany it is forbidden to upload or offer copyrighted music in P2P systems, on websites, blogs, one click hoster, chats etc. without a license. In theory they would pursue you. However I don't know even a single case where a player had been pursued because of using music ingame.

Hey a qestion about the speech array I have thespeech array set up in my missions init folder. When te game runs I think the array is running cuz it chooses a random file but it says sound "jimmy" cannot be found. All of my music is in a file called Sound in my mission folder. All in .ogg vorbis. Does speech array files have to be in a different folder?

I use folder named music, not sound to put my songs.

Here's description.ext from one of my missions.

class CfgMusic

{

tracks[]=

{

track1, track2

};

class track1

{

name = "track1";

sound[] = {\music\track1.ogg, db+0, 1.0};

};

class track2