Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

Sound over distance bug?

Ok so it seems this is back. Did any of you guys test to look at units firing weapons from a far through binos lately? The sound is instant and not as we are used to with a distance delay. Confirmed from at least 1 person except me. And i thaught this was ticketed long time ago and fixed? Anyone remember that?

Also the explosions that stuck to the speaker it was first played on was fixed but now the weapons do it instead - i have ticketed that one, but not the sound over distance problem.

Wanted to see if its just us or if it happens to others as well. In that case ill ticket it. In any mission or editor look at fighting units through binoculars at a far and see if you hear the sound instantly or if there is a delay (as it should be).

Thank you.

EDIT: No one else with this problem? Sigh, all alone again in figthing for a big problem. Ok i shall help you all again with ticket...

Edited by Alex72

I've heard sticking sounds again too, sadly. 1.05 also introduced the 'receiving' bug for me, sadly.

I wish we could all roll back to previous beta 60141.

Sticking and no distance delay atm. However BIS fixed the stuck explosions so im sure this will be sorted soon.

For me weapons have always lacking dynamic panning. When testing with say and a custom sound, panning is dynamic but it's stereo positioning is relative to your distance and the sounds db value. Increeasing the db value (to make it reach farther in the landscape) increases the distance you need to be at before stereo positioning becomes obvious.

As for delay, there seems to be mixed results on this. When I tested I would get supersonic bullets from snipers (using vanilla, but not using ACE) where I heard the impact before the shot (an obvious delay), while others reported (ACE ticket) that they would have no delay even with vanilla sound.

Yeah hmm things are getting messy indeed. So many of these annoying probs atm makes it hard for me to enjoy the game. The distance problem and the spatial/panning/sticky sounds (weapons) are rather new to me as well so its really a mixed bag... All i know is that i had delay in weapon sounds not long ago and i also know that BIS fixed the explosions that was stuck (Spatial problem). This knowledge gives me hope that this will get fixed as well.

Maybe ACE soundmod config breaks the distance delay for some? I dont know if configs can do that though and it sounds crazy. Anyway these are legitimate problems that needs fixing.

Thank you for your comment CG.

The sound from explosions are delayed but gun sounds are instant.

This is both with or without ACE!

Yeah i noticed that as well. Thanks JW for checking.

Thanks for that observation. Its time to ticket this soon. just collecting more "evidence" so BIS knows what to work on.

Thank you.

I've noticed some of this too. Explosions seem to be OK, but small arms, well although I haven't made any specific tests or observations, I have suspected it strongly. I often hear sonic cracks/bullet impacts at the same time as the distant gunfire, which is a bit of a giveaway :) I seem to remember in the past I would hear the impact then a delay appropriate to distance, then the gunfire.

Yeah your right DM. Thats exactlly it. Crack, impact AND weapon fire sound at the same time. We armaholics arent used to such BS. :D crack, impact...........................gun shot faintly in the distance - now thats more like it.

Will ticket this before the days end.

EDIT:

After testing this in vanilla ARMA i noticed something. The first shot made from a distance actually works as it should. I hear crack/whizz and.... "bang" in the distance. However from the second shot and every after that i can hear the shot at the same time as the weapon is fired.

Just trying to set this up in the editor in the easiest way for them to test but im no editor whiz sorry.

EDIT2:

Oh crap its getting weirder. After i ALT+TABBED and got back in to the game it seems fixed!? Every shot now is good with delay. Tricky one. But i guess i just save this mission and ticket it. Hopefully BIS know by know what i mean since i battled hard to fix the explosions before. :D

Edited by Alex72

I'm having the sticky sound issue quite a bit, especially with weapon sounds. Hear shots from my left, turn left, shots still coming from left speakers when I'm looking directly at the source of fire. Very hard to pin point the direction fire is coming from when this happens.

Using Realtek ALC889 with 5.1 speakers.

Now this thread has turned into two different problems:

1. Speed of sound

2. Sticky sounds

Hi Alex72,

I tried to start a discussion on the matter few weeks back, but maybe it was missed because of the holidays and people busy with their RL. Anyway, good to hear it's not just me who is having this issue.

Hi Alex72,

I tried to start a discussion on the matter few weeks back, but maybe it was missed because of the holidays and people busy with their RL. Anyway, good to hear it's not just me who is having this issue.

No problems. I ticketed this long time ago. ;)

EDIT:

Sticky sounds = reported.

Speed of sound broken = reported.

Go vote please if you have the problem.

Edited by Alex72

I wonder if this is BIS sound config code problem. Because I'm testing and using a large amount of HiFi atm and have none of these issues, however I, just like Alex have had this issue before afew of patches back so I can understand how crap it is... I hope they fix it soon for everyone whos suffering..

Come on BIS, you fix it, then you break it, then you fix it.....Repeat to fade..

I never get this issue using HiFi sounds either. The weapons sound the correct distance.

Just to make it clear:

It's not a sound fadeout issue, it's the problem with sounds not being delayed at distance, like you see the flash and then comes the sound.

I haven't tested HiFi yet so i can't say if it's working there.

Yes correct. Not that volumes NOT going down over distance. Thats not the problem. There is no delay - as in you hear it at the same time its fired even though far away. The sounds are lower in volume but lacks delay. Big bug IMO for this game since thats a feature of this game series.

Then it might be config problems. Never the less it happens in stock ARMA2 so it has to be fixed.

Sticky sounds = reported.

Speed of sound broken = reported.

Go and vote if this happens to you.

Well now that I checked, both are happening to me. Thanks for taking the time and effort, voted.