Sign in to follow this  
sic-disaster

Improve the rain and sounds

This is something that has been bothering me for quite a while now, even since Operation Flashpoint.

All BIS games have had rain, or at least what must resemble rain, but it never quite hits home, and i blame that on the lack of sound.

I never get the feeling it's actually raining, there is a small haze that looks like a movie grainfilter i guess, but there is never actually rainsounds, or waaaaay too quiet and unaudible to me.

I would like to see some heavier rain, and more importantly: some actual rainsounds.

Even thunderstorms arent all that impressive, and only noticeable when lightning strikes. Then i'm like, 'oh, it's raining?' :p

Just an immersive thing i guess, but still important i think :)

Yeah i agree i would like to use rain alot more but i can never actually hear it or sometimes i can't even see it that well...

For sounds play vietcong. Some of the best sounds I've ever heard in a game and the rain sounds are just brilliant.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

Big problem, when you experience other games rain brings a game alive and sets great mods in specific levels. The sounds and anims for rain are flat and honestly bad.

Ive never had a problem with the rain and storms.. they even greatly improved this from OFP/ARMA when they made it so it didn't rain indoors anymore :D

In Arma with full "stormy" weather, you'll only obtain wind speeds of about 6-7 m/s (11-13 knots or 21-25 km/h), barely touching the breeze side. So as winds are not realistic at all (Arma particles tend to look weird if you force winds to gale force winds using setWind command), nor should the sounds of it. I'd like to have them in there though, just not used with regular force winds.

The snowstorm thing of NIMOD Weather addon doesn't really "do it for me" as far as sound is concerned. Also the version I tested produced many error messages and didn't appear synched between clients.

I don't mind the rain sounds, they sound "ok" enough for me, and sound mods can always enhance it. What I do mind, is the disability to control rain amount. Once set, the engine will constantly try to override it. Meaning a short loop has to operate it on clients, which isn't such a good idea.

Better sound when raining is something i would want also. What i really like with ARMA2 however is that BIS got the lightnings (thunder) sounds correct. The rumbling sound come AFTER the lightning hits. :) In ArmA the sound came at the same time as the lightning.

But some better rain sound plus more ambient sounds when it rains would be great. More immersion and much harder to hear wich is the point why its so good to move in rain IRL.

+1

If proper rain appears and if they dont focus on improving performance first, I think proper rain will lag the game to hell!!! Although i would like to see some puddles and floods with proper rain though:yay:. Then id be dancing in it like this guy hehe!

Soz, shoulda put a link :)

Hope its how you woulda put it :)

Ive always quite liked the rain since flashpoint, its always come across as quite realistic to me, all I would prefer was if there was a louder sound when it was raining, especially when your in woodland, or if they made different degrees of rain with some storms heavier than others. FarCry 2 had pretty good effects, something like that maybe

Just enjoy the other side of it all ...

EVERYTHING can easily be set louder, with more bass, more bombastic, more effects ... etc.

But I don't want BIS games to become a Crysis or more arcadish but more realistic.

Bob Dylan and me deny the loudness war. ;-)

Like Maruk CEO of BIS explains here.

Bob Dylans opinion you find in here..

And don't you lose your humour ... after you lost your hearing aids. ;-))

Just enjoy the other side of it all ...

EVERYTHING can easily be set louder, with more bass, more bombastic, more effects ... etc.

But I don't want BIS games to become a Crysis or more arcadish but more realistic.

Bob Dylan and me deny the loudness war. ;-)

Like Maruk CEO of BIS explains here.

Bob Dylans opinion you find in here..

And don't you lose your humour ... after you lost your hearing aids. ;-))

I hear ya but in the heaviest of rain or the biggest of thunderstorms (which need to be more visual) I can still hear my radio, vehicles, weapons fire etc etc pretty clearly and I shouldn't hardly be able to hear anything.

As for thunderstorms they are pathetic, the odd flash and streak of lightning with a very quite 'crack' of thunder.

It has nothing to do with volume.

Maybe there is a "clash of civilizations"?

Here in Mid-Europe you very rarely have rain or thunderstorms louder than your girlfriends voice from the bedroom when hitting the Arma2 - Button ....... ;-)