Sign in to follow this  
johncage

new lag

i don't know if it's draw distance related or not, but the new betas really really lag.

looking at a forest, with only 1500 view distance, game goes from 30 to 15 fps. an stuttery too.

I tested your claim and it's all the same for me:

Chernarus with no AI 50 - 60 fps.

Chernarus with lots of AI fighting (doesn't matter where - in front of player's nose, or on the other side of map) 20 -25 fps (20 is a low limit). The CPU is busy calculating the AI and can't supply the GPU fast enough. The higher end GPUs are hardly breaking any sweat in such situations. Maybe you just stumbled upon that?

An idea to use the remaining unused GPU power in some way comes to mind, but sadly the GPU is not very good at these operations.

Try tweaking your graphical settings (if you already haven't). Test out the impact on framerate for every single option separately and choose the optimum (looks vs. performance) for yourself.

I have Terrain details and Object details on normal, anti-aliasing and postprocessing off and everyting else on very high. Any level of anti-aliasing gives you the ugly white shining power lines, esspecially notable when flying. The effects of post-processing are well known...

From my Arma2Mark test, the beta runs the game marginally faster than 1.04. from an average of about 2900 to about 3000.

I notice significantly more stuttering with the betas especially when flying or driving fast.

Are you running the beta versions with other mods? if so disable them one at a time and see what happens then let us know. If your not running any mods then play with your video settings abit and see what happens then.

Not complaining since arma has come along way, and im sure its going to be improved on more.

I found a few beta patches after the 1.04 patch Arma2 started running alot better on my pc almost perfect i was finally content it pretty much ran the same as it had previously with a big overclock on my quadcore q9550, then i feel like acouple beta patches after the improved performance started going down again but not as bad as it orginally was ive had to drop my draw distance from around 6 running smooth to 4 still slightly lagged (I need a decent draw distance becuase i fly choppers) so as far as im concerned you guys are right in saying performance has dropped some i guess the people who havnt had any drop are truly lucky somehow. Ill dream abit and hope it has something to do with a slight version mismatch between server and me and with the next official patch release everyone is sorted.

Edited by Killakaze

Performance is the same for me in the last many beta's, can't say if i have lost or gained a few fps but it feels nice smooth :)

When I'm now getting 20FPS, it's the smoothest 20FPS I've ever had. I've had higher FPS in earlier beta builds, but they didn't feel that smooth. Some places and/or objects are still a problem. Close to certain trees being the number one tragedy on my modest hardware.

Yes funny how so many people complain about tree performance but BIS has said nothing about it. It should be easy for them to fix it, just look at Kju's Proper Low Vegetation mod. A barely noticeable visual impact but a large gain in FPS.

It seems like a cpu issue for the forests. I have a quad core processor and if i load Armed Assault, which has little to no multi-core support, Linda(the fauna generator) kills my frame rate. In Arma 2, which has multi-core support, my frame rate holds steady. The problem with the Proper vegetation mod is that it is hideous compared to the Stock vegetation, because it replaces the procedurally generated trees and bushes with set models, which is good for performance but ruins one of the prettiest aspects of the game.

It seems like a cpu issue for the forests. I have a quad core processor and if i load Armed Assault, which has little to no multi-core support, Linda(the fauna generator) kills my frame rate. In Arma 2, which has multi-core support, my frame rate holds steady. The problem with the Proper vegetation mod is that it is hideous compared to the Stock vegetation, because it replaces the procedurally generated trees and bushes with set models, which is good for performance but ruins one of the prettiest aspects of the game.

You do know that LINDA just generates models, and the trees you see ingame are all pre-generated? ;)