Sign in to follow this  
Monsada

UPSMON - Urban Patrol Script Mon

In addition to the above, I must also ask, what is more efficient re. markers - if I have a village/town to defend, should I have 'TownFront' marker, and 'TownRear' marker, with units allocated to patrol each, or would UPSMON work better if I just had one marker encompassing the whole thing, i.e. a 'Town' marker?

In terms of efficiency of usage, number AI units is the key, not number groups patrolling number markers.

For gameplay id say having front and rear city and use the reinforce param would be best. else you may get the front of village left completely unguarded if all groups accidently were patrolling the rear city at same time.

If its small city no need for reinforce either as groups will help eachother within certain ranges.

What I mean with my other point is that when you have 'respawn' enabled, the AI groups will be recreated first at their original position, and THEN moved to a 'random pos'. This isn't at game start - this is after the units have died, and have been respawned.

It would be nice to first place the AI within the zone as random, but have them respawn to their original, and NOT be placed random, so I can have them run from behind their own line (like we discussed earlier) instead of being randomly spawned in front of the player, etc.

Hope that clears it up :)

Yes i misunderstod your previous post.

Well id solve that with either using the random placement slider in editor on the group leader and no "random"parameter, and rest of group set to in formation, or if using scripts to spawn groups and the use UPSMON on them, simply setPos them to a random pos inside marker, maybe take use of selectbestplaces or isflatempty or something, if setPos gets units inside buildings etc, also no "random"

Actually, when a unit respawns back behind its own lines, is it possible to get it to charge up to the front again? I'm guessing increasing unit share distance would work, but then they're use COMBAT mode, and take forever to get there. Maybe I could respawn 'reinforcement' squads? Is it possible to respawn as a different type/functionality?

Try this:

Have a trigger say 50 big over the exact area group will respawn to.

group side present (bluefor, opfor etc..) repeated, timeout 5.

have a empty marker somewhere near the frontlines, this is where they will run to before doing more UPSMON stuff.

In on activate put this:

{_x doMove (getMarkerPos "nearfrontlines")} foreach thisList

This will make all units of the side the trigger is checking for run to the marker named nearfrontlines, once there UPSMON will regain control again, they will also use aware and normal speed wich is jogging unless UPSMON interferes after doMove is ordered and sets them to safe beheaviour wich means walking, else no matter what beheaviour set before doMove doesnt count, only beheaviour set after doMove counts.

Once there they will shift to whatever UPSMON assigns them or you have specified.

Untested but should work.. ;)

Note: if they meet enemys on their way to frontlines marker, they will engage or evade depending on weaponcapability of group.

If meeting a enemy tank and they have no AT weapons in group they will try and evade, if they have AT they will move in for the kill etc..

I am still having Big issues with using Tanks/ Armour in UPSMON they allways seem to get out and walk around on foot every bit of armour I see on the map is abandoned, and the crew are patrolling on foot ???

nul=[this,"marker_patrol","delete:",600,"template:",1] execvm "scripts\UPSMON.sqf";

3 T55 tanks are in template 1

ul = [1,getMarkerPos "marker_patrol",3,["marker_patrol","move","spawned","delete:",400]] execVM "SCRIPTS\UPSMON\MON_SPAWN.SQF

Marker patrol is 150x150. am i missing something so i need to change anything in settings ?

How can i get them to stay in there vehicles and patrol ?

Thanks

I never used the "template" parameter, but for normal patrols they seem to behave just fine. Maybe there's a bug with the "template" parameter or you might be using it wrong.

Actually this happens similarly for me when using simple init lines with "Random", etc.

Difference is, they don't get out, they just stop driving, and say "UNITNUMBER: Getting out of vehicle". They still shoot though, when I get close enough.

As I said earlier...

The thing is, this means a tank crew will dismount when they're < KRON_UPS_closeenough from target.

But Monsada says to not change that variable, as it also controls flanking, etc, and other infantry movements. So how do we fix this?

- HateDread.

When use:

nul=[this,"area9","nowait","random","min:",10,"max:",20,"delete:",300] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";
I create 10 to 20 clones of the group. The start position is random but all the clones start from this position.

For small area it is no problem, but for large 4000x4000 it's going to take quite long time to populate whole area with foot patrols.

Is the way that every clone is created at random start position ?

Edited by Rafalski

Is it possible to forbid AI run by UPSMON entering the vehicles? I can't leave non-closed vehicles because they are stolen less than 10 mins after mission start...

Hi Guys i am gettin an error ?

"There is no alive member " aborting

Anyone know what this message is for ? and why i am getting it ?

Cheers guys

solution solved

Edited by panda123
solution solved

Hi Guys i am gettin an error ?

"There is no alive member " aborting

Anyone know what this message is for ? and why i am getting it ?

Cheers guys

I think this is when all group members are dead before actually starting their upsmon patrol, fex they crash and burn in a heli and is starting upsmon when out of heli or dead etc..

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Is it possible to forbid AI run by UPSMON entering the vehicles? I can't leave non-closed vehicles because they are stolen less than 10 mins after mission start...

try setting this line in init_UPSMON.sqf

KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist = 500;

try setting it to a high value, 10000 fex, then they should only start looking for vehicles if they have above that distance to their patrol are.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I am still having Big issues with using Tanks/ Armour in UPSMON they allways seem to get out and walk around on foot every bit of armour I see on the map is abandoned, and the crew are patrolling on foot ???

nul=[this,"marker_patrol","delete:",600,"template:",1] execvm "scripts\UPSMON.sqf";

3 T55 tanks are in template 1

ul = [1,getMarkerPos "marker_patrol",3,["marker_patrol","move","spawned","delete:",400]] execVM "SCRIPTS\UPSMON\MON_SPAWN.SQF

Marker patrol is 150x150. am i missing something so i need to change anything in settings ?

How can i get them to stay in there vehicles and patrol ?

Thanks

have the same trouble, have been delving into the upsmon scripts, error lies in the functions part of the getout functions somewhere, but not found yet without messing other stuff up.

not sure which version of upsmon you are using but my armor work correctly all the time - im on 5.0.7

not sure which version of upsmon you are using but my armor work correctly all the time - im on 5.0.7

mine is also 507 could you PM me your version upsmon?

Have you modified it in any way? what patch are you using? im on 1.57 full baf and pmc ARma2 CO.

It didnt behave like this with armor for me before but then after last patches i think something got changed... as i said, unknow reason.

try setting this line in init_UPSMON.sqf

KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist = 500;

try setting it to a high value, 10000 fex, then they should only start looking for vehicles if they have above that distance to their patrol are.

How exactly works that command?

If the distance they need to travel is larger than 500 metres, they will search for a vehicle to get them there faster. So if you increase that number (distance) to 10000, you will effectively limit them to moving on foot only.

Ah, now I got it. Thought they are going to look for the vehicle in eg. 500 meter radius :D

Could someone explain me how actually UPSMON AI detect enemy ?. Was looking in the code and looks like it does not use knowsAbout or just knows minimum and strait send uninit there or share this info?

PS. sniper 1 shoot, hide behind rock, from 700m and always detected ! ???? wrrrr

Edited by Rafalski

Could someone explain me how actually UPSMON AI detect enemy ?. Was looking in the code and looks like it does not use knowsAbout or just knows minimum and strait send uninit there or share this info?

Well AI uses, both builtin game wps and knowsabout combined with nearestenemys to aquire targets.

PS. sniper 1 shoot, hide behind rock, from 700m and always detected ! ???? wrrrr

This is a well know ingame AI issue, for workarounds try Zeus AI mod, but beware, its very hardware hungry.

You could also look into setSkill command, there are different subgroups in setSkill, amongst them there is "aimingSpeed", "spotDistance" etc, play around with them and see what suits you best, but beware adjusting 1 will impact all the others (AI´s total beheaviour) test various settings.

nearTargets is what UPSMON uses and seems to be the best way to do it.

As for actual detection range, UPSMON doesn't affect it. They only share detected enemies when they consider where to go (attack/flank/run away/etc). Detection range can only really be changed by addons such as Zeus AI.

Thanks for info.

was looking more and what I found: for detection UPSMON uses something as "targetsQuery" ? no idea how to use it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=115311

the process of detecting is in init_upsmon.sqf

basically collect all enemies (knowsabout >0.5) in 1-4 scalle, and then decide what to do.

( 1 sniper vs 1 AI team)

was playing with the parameter of detection but is quite useless:

1 shot (miss) - knowsabout 1.03

1 shot (hit or kill) - knowsabout 1.5

when is 1.49 (at least 1 miss shot do not add you to the knows targets array)

1.5 stays until you close as much as 200m... then start raising.

BTW since 5.0.6: Realistic reaction of squads depending on distance to target

If you are far AI strait away knows about you, but no move much until you close the distance. (it is cleaver)

If I remember correctly, it goes for nearTargets with the estimated position that comes with that commabd., and then also checks that the knowsabout is >0.5, just to be sure. I could have understood it wrong though.

Some more use of nearTargets in this mission: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=113375 (see carbomb script)

Edited by galzohar

I am having a little trouble with a mission I am using UPSMON in. Will an AI group I have set on a patrol call units for reinforcement even if they are only placed in the editor and not used in any of the UPSMON patrols?

I think the UPSMON patrols keep calling tanks I have at an enemy airfield, and they are slaughtering my men.

Is their anyway to adjust the settings if this is the case (I think I read they would do that somewhere.) Can I adjust the distance they will call reinforcements from or exclude specific units from being used as such?

Or is this just something my AI is doing on it's own and not anything to do with UPSMON?

I have a little issue with UPSMON

I have a full ai squad spawn right next to 2 BTRs, I want them to get in em -

nul=[this,"patrol4","spawned',"delete:",600] execvm "scripts\UPSMON.sqf";

But they don't actually get in the BTRs..any idea?

If they get the closest waypoint too close to the BTR, they won't bother mounting. That's actually not a UPSMON-specific thing, but generally what you get with waypoints. To get them to mount try starting them far enough outside the zone so that even the first waypoint they'll get will be surely far enough to make them want to mount. Or even better, just start them in the vehicle (with moveInCargo command).

I am having a little trouble with a mission I am using UPSMON in. Will an AI group I have set on a patrol call units for reinforcement even if they are only placed in the editor and not used in any of the UPSMON patrols?

I think the UPSMON patrols keep calling tanks I have at an enemy airfield, and they are slaughtering my men.

Is their anyway to adjust the settings if this is the case (I think I read they would do that somewhere.) Can I adjust the distance they will call reinforcements from or exclude specific units from being used as such?

Or is this just something my AI is doing on it's own and not anything to do with UPSMON?

Afaik UPSMON only call in other UPSMON groups for reinforcements.

But if you have your tanks set on a guard wp then they will aid ANY units of that side that spots enemys, regardless of PSMON or not.

Doesnt matter if tanks are 10 km away, they will come to help their own side.

Possible workaround is using a guarded trigger for the tanks guard wp.

Are you using guard Wp on the tanks? if so try setting up a guarded by trigger.

I have a little issue with UPSMON

I have a full ai squad spawn right next to 2 BTRs, I want them to get in em -

nul=[this,"patrol4","spawned',"delete:",600] execvm "scripts\UPSMON.sqf";

But they don't actually get in the BTRs..any idea?

In init_UPSMON.sqf there are various options you can set, amongst them are one that control if AI groups should use empty vehicles or search for them if their current wp is so and so many meters away, if patrolmarker is say less than that in init_upsmon.sqf then they will not use vehicle.

To workaround this use:

this assignAsCargo vehicleName; this moveInCargo vehicleName;

In the initline of each unit.

Also make sure to use on one of the units:

this assignAsGunner vehiclename; this moveInGunner vehiclename;

And same for the driver and commander if such positions exists in that vehicle.

Now they will start in the vehicle no matter patrol range.

Easier way if vehicle is same faction as the group and you just place the unit vehicle in editor, NOTE not empty.

and then group that to the group and set all not in vehicle to assignascargo moveincargo.

Edited by Demonized
corrected typo, and galzohar beat me to it :)

Thanks I ended up using moveincargo/driver/gunner, protip - spawn the truck before the infantry or you'll spend 10 minutes wondering why the command isn't working :)