Sign in to follow this  
specialswe

List of bugs in 1.46

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ April 06 2002,20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Diniter, the game has been out since june 22 2001. That's over 9 months ago. I can't think of many games that have received support for such a long time. (Yeah we all know Half Life has been getting patches for 3 years. But Valve and Sierra are just milking out that game. They just keep releasing new platinum versions all the time. Would you want OF to be like that?). And remember, this isn't the land of milk and honey. Investing time to research and fix bugs costs time... and MONEY. Money doesn't grow on trees. Don't you agree we've received enough patches and addons (which they didn't even have to do, and they did it for free. Redstorm would ask you $39 for all the addons). BIS are moving on. I'm a very happy owner of this game and I'll be happy when Resistance will be released.

btw, regarding the flashing roads. I disabled w-buffer and the roads don't flash anymore. With the previous nvidia driver, w-buffer worked fine though.<span id='postcolor'>

ALDEGA, I agree with some of that and have an appreciation for the rest of what you said.

____

I disagree if it gets to the point where they stop "listening". (Now I am refering to "What to fix in the next patch" thread.

(link at bottom))

If there is a list of things correctable then I think it is honerable to either come out and give us in "laymans" terms the reason why it's not possible or is too difficult, than to scram to the next project. I think most everyone could come to agree that new models and cosmetics can not be feasible with time restraints if they posted it outright. The other gameplay issues/bugs could be sorted out with a reason not to employ them later without THAT much trouble.

To put something out for us to see would at least dignify our regards.

Why they have not done anything; I'm only left to speculate that they are saving our feedback for another game.

Not that I'm against another game, but as for the above , I feel, this is not the right reason. It's manipulation.

The over all goal in mind hopefully is to create a large pool of users that play the game. From a business standpoint is to create more games more often. From a consumers standpoint

is to have fewer games with more quality than more games of low playing value. This game is already a jewel in the rough. But it could stand for more than that. It could be what stood apart from the trend of crappy releases "Buy now fix later :P(never)", then people would buy it and that's what it is really all about. Couldn't, wouldn't more people (everyone) be better off if they could fix the things that concern us the most? More people would buy it, more would play it, and more would be interested $$$ in buying neat little flashy addons like planes and tanks , skins ,etc without the patches on their conscious.

There is a fundemental problem with releasing addons on top of unfinished work-that is it's still unfinished work. That, to me is why companies like Redstorm are not reaping any benefits from their addons e.g "R6/RS addons.

this is the thread I speak about above.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t+patch

Look there thousands of requests for thousands of small features (some of which are just irrealistic). BIS have done alot of fixes and addons. You don't appreciate that? As I said, they've supported OF for over 9 months. When you bought the game, you paid for the game, not for any support. Many companies out there release games and NEVER release a patch, let-alone addons (for free). SUMA gave a clear answer in that thread.

"The over all goal in mind hopefully is to create a large pool of users that play the game". - The game has been out for over 9 months: If someone wanted to buy it, he/she would have already done so. There's no point in keeping to fix the game until the end of time, like Valva/Sierra are doing with Half-Life.

Also the saying "some people are never satisfied" is definately at hand for some people in this forum.

"There is a fundemental problem with releasing addons on top of unfinished work-that is it's still unfinished work" - The employees who make 3d models, textures are not programmers, so they cannot fix "all those problems" (note quotes). Thus the fact that they invest time into making these addons does not interfere with that.

One that I'm experiencing which was present prior to 1.46 as well, is the command delay created when the audio "voice" is vocalizing a previous order, and the order you are issuing isn't executed until the vocalization is complete. It can be crucial when you've just told "5" to "go to X", you then see an imminent threat, and you can't get a supporting tank to move to a certain spot to cover you because the vocalization is still telling "5" to "go to X" (which is irrelevant at this point after the recently realized threat).

a big bug that i dont like is that i am now unable to use joystick buttons to go up and down in a chopper.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DV Chris Death @ April 08 2002,17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

And a typo is a typo, and you can't expect a program to be able to deal with wrong written words (especially at keywords) a game, where you can change settings in initialisation routines (and there are many changes you can do) can't be able to understand wrong written stuff.<span id='postcolor'>

Software can not be expected to correct the errors made by the user, but to recognise them as such and react accordingly.

Typos are something everybody writing a parser has to expect and prepare for. BIS obviously did that as most typos in scripts won't crash the game, not even abort the mission, as long as they don't concern a resource (like a weapon's name).

The point I complained about was not that the program aborted processing my mission, but that the whole software crashed!

I mean, aborting the mission and presenting an error message is one thing, crashing to the desktop is another.

So why not check at the start if all resources needed by a mission are available? Spelling errors would surface without crashing the system (as there obviously are no "nvgoogles" in the game), and it would be less frustrating if you found out that you're missing some small addon for the mission you just downloaded and that the mission designer unfortunately forgot to mention in his readme file. BIS obviously hasn't implemented such a check, but it can't really be very difficult do.

BTW: Thanks for the hint with the MP editor - I'll have a look at it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When using the addweapon-command in a units init line and you spell the weapon wrong (like "nvgoogles" instead of "nvgoggles") the game crashes to the desktop. You can only hope you saved before that happens, because else you'd have to redo the whole mission...<span id='postcolor'>

OK first you said it's anoying, because you have to hope to

have saved the game before trying it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So why not check at the start if all resources needed by a mission are available? Spelling errors would surface without crashing the system (as there obviously are no "nvgoogles" in the game), and it would be less frustrating if you found out that you're missing some small addon for the mission you just downloaded and that the mission designer unfortunately forgot to mention in his readme file<span id='postcolor'>

Now we arrived at missing addons.

Well, BIS would do that only for official addons/weapons/magizines etc.. - they could create

a database where all those would be inside, and you could

do a quick (?) check, if all

(if they really would do it). I wouldn't believe, that

it's possible to check, if unofficial addons aren't present.

I have a 250mb big addons folder, and i wouldn't like to wait

(when starting a mission), until all of these addon files are

checked (you can't detect the weapon names from outside

the file, you have to open it).

And this could take ages - think about, how many addons

still will follow (....400mb)

Cosmetic:

Fire a sabot at an empty tank, afterwards you go out ant choose "get in" inside damaged tank, then your icon (bottom left corner) turns red. Fear enough the tank isn’t so healthy anymore. If you choose to get out you are still red. This way they may simulate and encourage you to stay away for burning tings, but personally I think it’s a bug.

Because if this happen you will also be red after you has been healed at a hospital tent or what so ever. Sometimes your status continue to be red also after you have respawned.

This happen in MP mission when you are officer. I don't know if it's valid for other circumstances.

Mvh

Řyvind

1-one more bug to add a long list ( a permanent topic will be useful Suma... especially for that):

i find that (with WKK-Mickey), if u use the klaxon in a jeep, u and only u can hear it.

So what 's the purpose of a klaxon if noone else could hear it (i know this ll be laughing bug, but i just find that strange) smile.gif

2-Ahem another suggesting Permanent topic, it's a topic that ll say which one map is good or not (there's plenty of maps and some need really to be forgetted... hence i never pass a night without playing with a map at 300Vehicule or with the respawn area just under the flag or a map with a plane directly set to crash at a mountains smile.gif )

Clear the future of OPF and get to the lymbes theese map done with the foot (or in alcoholic state) ! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DV Chris Death @ April 09 2002,19:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

OK first you said it's anoying, because you have to hope to

have saved the game before trying it.

Now we arrived at missing addons.

Well, BIS would do that only for official addons/weapons/magizines etc.. - they could create

a database where all those would be inside, and you could

do a quick (?) check, if all

(if they really would do it).

<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, first of all, I can see that your're having a good time making fun of me, while I try to explain something that really annoys me. How nice of you. I'm not the spoiled kid that want's the developers to change his stinking nappies. I think (and you may disagree) that my concern is justified. Lecturing me won't change that opinion a bit. If you're having a bad day just get yourself a punching ball or go for a walk.

1. It is annoying if the game crashes - wether you loose everything or nothing at all. Often at least the last edits are lost.

2. It is not nescessary to create any database. Just check before you execute the mission. The parser reads the mission.sqm (and probably the scripts, too) and checks if the resources needed can be found in the addons folder. If one can't be found it's either a typo or a missing resource. It's that easy.

My concern is primarly about typos being able to crash the engine. Well, if a possible solution to this can also help under other circumstances (missing addons) then it just makes even more sense to implement something like it.

After explaining all this for the third time now I will not repeat it again for you. Discussion finished - let's agree to disagree.

"BIS would do that only for official addons/weapons/magizines etc.. - they could create

a database where all those would be inside, and you could" - No need for any database. Mission.sqm lists all addons which are used. When pressing preview, it should first run a check. If all addons are present, continue, else go back to mission editor.

Aldega: mission.sqm doesn't list the name of the addons's

pbo files. It lists the name of the unit/weapon from inside

the pbo file. There could be many different units/weapons

in a pbo. BIS has no plan, of what unofficial addons exists,

so they would have to go for a default check (this means to

check the whole addons folder). Now think about the part,

how this could end in a multiplayer mission. First, the mission

will be transfered, then there runs the check for all the addons, then the clients need to send back their results from

addon's check ................................ then the mission starts.

Joltan: i understand and agree to what you mean, about

the crash, when typing something wrong, but you should also

understand, that it's very hard to implement things to be checked, if you don't know them. BIS won't support unofficial

addons, so don't expect them to do anything for checking addons. As i said, the official weapons/units/addons could probably be checked easily, but not the unofficial's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ April 06 2002,20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">btw, regarding the flashing roads. I disabled w-buffer and the roads don't flash anymore. With the previous nvidia driver, w-buffer worked fine though.<span id='postcolor'>

Aldega you are my hero 28.32 nvidia drivers w-Buffer disabled.

No more flashing roads.

It was that easy in the end.

Thanks Mate  biggrin.gif

pynaple out

Yep, but when you use the binoculars and you have a town-sign in sight, the name of the town is flickering. With w-buffer the town name doesn't flicker. So you have to choose, flickering town names or flickering roads wink.gif Or another driver. biggrin.gif

DV Chris Death, when the game loads, it automaticly enumerates all addons in the addon directory. (to do this it doesn't need to read the entire addon pbo for each addon. Just the cpp.). To prove this: Make a new mission on desert island, put a brdm in it, save it. Then exit the game, go to the OF addon directory and remove the brdm pbo. Then launch the game. Load the mission editor. Load the mission that you made with the brdm. The game will now show a warning saying that it could not find the "brdm" addon.

Btw, the game could check the mission.sqm addons list, send that to all clients, and let the clients check their "addon enumeration" and see if it includes all the addons required for that mission. If everybody has all the addons, the mission will be transferred to all clients. If not everybody has every addon, then it should do the following. On the host it should show the list of users with missing addons, on the clients (who don't have certain addons) it should state the specific addons. (that way they could download it somewhere).

@ALDEGA - regarding w-buffer

What exactly does the w-buffer do? It seems to improve image quality, but does it have any performance penalties (e.g. on a GF2 Ti, XP driver version 2312)?

@DV Chris Death - regarding MP editor

Well, I think I'll have to pass on it. No way I'm shutting down my firewall (ZoneAlarmPro - my comp is always online) just to edit missions. I gave it client and server rights for the local intranet, but as soon as I press the "new" button, the game stops dead: the screen goes black, the "loading screen" shows up and then... nothing. And it's a clean 1.46 installation - no inofficial addons.

@DV Chris Death - regarding check of addons folder

As ALDEGA mentioned the game does already check the addons while it starts up. I guess it creates an temporary index so the resources can be accessed much faster during gameplay. You can see this also by adding a new unit while the game's already up running. The new unit won't be available in the editor (or through scripts) before you restart the game.

In order to validate a request for any resource (like when using the 'addweapon' command) only this index has to be checked. That shouldn't take much time.

Z-buffer=index of all the objects in a 3d environment, remembers their position. Z-buffer uses more precision for objects close to the camera. W-buffer doesn't. It should provide equal precision for all objects. Be they close or far to/from the viewport. I don't think it has any performance impact. Just try both and see which one turns out best wink.gif

If you're bored, read this. http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/love_your_z_buffer.html

My list of 1.46 bugs:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g

t;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BRDM vs. Humvee (this has been touched on before)

Using an M60, it took less than 100 rounds to take a BRDM to destroyed status. It took ~730 rounds of the same to take a Humvee down to destroyed status.

It would seem to me (and others) that this is a bit backwards. Even the editor lists the humvee in the "car" section and the BRDM in the "armoured" section. This certainly contradicts their actual capacity to fend off lead.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g

t;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

7.62 (M-60) vs. 5.56 (Styr Aug) ammo and it's "penetrating" capability

Using the same scenario as outlined above, it takes ~200 rounds of Styr Aug shots (5.56) to bring the Humvee to destroyed status. ~730 for 7.62 and the M60.....

Does anyone see a problem with that? I'm not a military expert or a physics whiz, but I'd say the higher caliber round should do more damage, yes?

Just my 2 cents.

.:iX

upon boot up of game my dest top mouse appears in the game the only way to get rid of it is to ALT+TAB but after i ALT+TAB all my setting for vidieo go all dark

tottal pain in the ASS!!!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS

I've seen that when there are aircraft placed on the ground closer than 20m apart, 1 missile hit on 1 plane blows up the lot of them. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (russin @ April 18 2002,09:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">upon boot up of game my dest top mouse appears in the game the only way to get rid of it is to ALT+TAB but after i ALT+TAB all my setting for vidieo go all dark

tottal pain in the ASS!!!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS<span id='postcolor'>

When this happens do you go back into video settings of the game and turn up

the brightness then put it back down to where is was? If not there you go . I get that to my machine also.

Tell me do you get all kinds of lag when

you alt-tab out to windows then go back in to the game a few times

.eg, alt-tab + alt-tab back in , alt-tab then back in ,etc. ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (touchin_cloth @ April 17 2002,20:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've seen that when there are aircraft placed on the ground closer than 20m apart, 1 missile hit on 1 plane blows up the lot of them.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It's not a bug. It's the new proximity feature. Probably meant to be used for the new "exploding fuel station". I agree it's exaggerated, could do with a bit of tweaking.