Sign in to follow this  
.kju

[59884] Fixed: Suppress in the commanding menu did nothing. Anyone tested it?

In one of the recent beta patches ordering AI units to suppress units(?) /

an area(?) seems to be implemented now.

Did anyone try? How does it work?

All i know is this :

New: Suppressive fire against known enemies can be scripted using unit suppressFor time.

Which is a scripted thing, not tested the suppress menu option though, need to try that out.

I am talking of:

[59884] Fixed: Suppress in the commanding menu did nothing.

Nah doest work for me either. Option is there but there is no call out and no action happening.

Watch There seem to work somewhat though. Wich is the option under Suppress.

Isn't the suppressFor command a part of finalizing the suppress system, which is still being developed? I think some changelog made that statement.

Maybe so CG, but i guess Kju wondered as it states:

[59884] Fixed: Suppress in the commanding menu did nothing.

That seems to me like it's fixed and working.

I tested adding "this suppressFor 30;" on some of my units in my squad, and then tested using the SUPPRESS command but they did nothing. Thaught maybe it was needed to get it to work. Were soon there maybe seeing they are working on it. :)

For Suppress from the command menu to work you need a new ui.pbo addon, which is not distributed in the beta.

{_x suppressFor 30} forEach group player should work now as a quick preview. Note: AI is able to suppress only enemies which were seen with last two minutes. If there are no such enemies, no suppression will be done.

For Suppress from the command menu to work you need a new ui.pbo addon, which is not distributed in the beta.

Will the new UI.po be distributed separately, or will it only be available in the final 1.05 patch?

As I thought, scripting for now, menu later .. I guess will be fully distributed via Final patch release.

Its great to know its fixed anyway, the latest betas are really churning out some well deserved fixes, great work BIS.

... Note: AI is able to suppress only enemies which were seen with last two minutes. If there are no such enemies, no suppression will be done.

Hi Suma

What we are looking for from suppression is the ability to suppress an area as well. Any chance we can get that as standard?

Ways to simulate this is a thrown IR marker or smoke target marker the rifle grenade marker round would be ideal or laser pointer as is used in reality. Even better would be the ability to set geographic objects as suppress targets. The AI replies "Seen" or "Not Seen" then set the AI to suppress a 5m to 20m area either side of that, via submenu "5m point", "10m cone" and "20m Area".

Essentially what I am saying is extending the laser marker system used as targets for LGBs and the like. It would be that an invisible target was placed in the location perhaps moveing around to get an area effect.

I also want say thank you for the vast number of improvements in the Betas which are coming out at a terrific rate of knots. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

With regard to suppression, I was finishing the first mission in the Seal Team Six mod, running the latest beta, when I ordered my team to attack an enemy technical vehicle (UAZ? Anyway...).

The driver was killed with the initial volley, the gunner bailed and proned out under the vehicle, at which point one of my team suppressed the vehicle with a constant stream of fire until he gave the message 'running low on ammo!' One of the other teamies killed the gunner at about that point.

It was a loose 'L' ambush where the 3 AI were the base of the L facing the oncoming vehicle and I was on the left flank of the car as it moved from my right to left. I watched it all go down and issued the order to fire once the technical was 90 degrees to me.

At any rate, was that an example of spontaneous AI suppression? Either way, it looked pretty good to me, so whatever you guys are doing with the AI is helping imho.

Wupjak, in your case it may be your AI simply shooting at an ennemy vehicle, provided the engine is still running your AI may take it as "ennemy" and keep shooting at it. Unfortunately not much to do with suppression

Aha, ok, that makes sense. Don't recall now if the engine was still running or not, but that would definitely explain it. It threw me a bit that it was just the one guy with the rapid semi auto fire and the other guys were not firing nearly as frequently. Wishful thinking I guess. Thanks.

OTOH, I tested yesterday with the latest patch, and AI did some trick to me really, really good.

At one point, I was approaching through a town, going inside houses, when I got spotted. The MG began suppressing the door I was peeking through while 2 others where going on a pinch on my right. Got the suppressive effect, heard windows getting smashed, etc... Couldn't do anything else but crawl to the opposite side of the house, get out and try to regain a god position. By that time, the 2 guys were in position, I got promptly dispatched.

The AI experience with the latest patch is imho truely better (but that's another topic)

Hi Whisper

With regard to AI activity that certainly sounds like the kind of activity we want! Glad to see that the AI is improving but I am talking about is the human squad leaders ability to control that functionality through improvements to the HCI.

Kind Regards walker

Hi Whisper

With regard to AI activity that certainly sounds like the kind of activity we want! Glad to see that the AI is improving but I am talking about is the human squad leaders ability to control that functionality through improvements to the HCI.

Kind Regards walker

Someone should mention this to Mr_Centipede, maybe he can implement this into his modified HC system. I'd love this.

OTOH, I tested yesterday with the latest patch, and AI did some trick to me really, really good.

At one point, I was approaching through a town, going inside houses, when I got spotted. The MG began suppressing the door I was peeking through while 2 others where going on a pinch on my right. Got the suppressive effect, heard windows getting smashed, etc... Couldn't do anything else but crawl to the opposite side of the house, get out and try to regain a god position. By that time, the 2 guys were in position, I got promptly dispatched.

The AI experience with the latest patch is imho truely better (but that's another topic)

With latest 60xxx beta builds AI units are doing a great work with suppression fire.

Shame they are not so consistent in looking for cover when being suppressed, often they just try returning fire from in-place ... not the brightest idea.

Now we need them to auto-rearm or a "conserve ammo" option :)

Yes, units seem keep suppressing till complete ammo depletion.