Isle Van Den

* * UPDATED * *

Download:

Armaholic.com

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8107

Filefront.com

http://www.filefront.com/14903451/Isle-Van-Den---L-J-F-0.85.7z/

Hi all,

OK, what began as a test run inspired by Raunhofer's Japahto island among other unlikely things such as a few Aussie beaches (:)), Skira from OFP and The Lost World turned into a full [though small] island. Anyhow, I'll post some screens, a link, and leave you guys to it, I'm interested to know what you think of it. Anyhow, here's a video and a pretty picture:

Preview video (can't seem to embed it atm so you'll have to follow the link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeh7hYdEmXo

islevandenn.jpg

Edited by LJF

Looks awesome mate, i'm interested to see these "aussie beaches" ;)

so did you remove the ocean airstrip?

Haha, not yet ;) Bogged down with assignments, hopefully soon I'll get all that sorted out.

Looks awesome mate, i'm interested to see these "aussie beaches" ;)

Not sure how "Aussie" they are are, when I say inspired I mean in a very loose sense :D

Edited by LJF

Getting an error on load. Probably a binarising error?

Data file too short '@Den\addons\isle_van_den.pbo'. Expected 35584186 B, got 25689936 B

hmmm....hope this update doesnt steal the beauty....hmmm...hmmmm

Getting an error on load. Probably a binarising error?

Data file too short '@Den\addons\isle_van_den.pbo'. Expected 35584186 B, got 25689936 B

Just so everyone knows I have sent out a PM asking for a new file to be able to fix the armaholic.com mirror as the main host.

Please be patient until the issue with the file has been resolved :)

Looks nice just watched the video, downloading soon.

OK, sorry everyone, turns out the actual file is corrupt, I'm currently uploading it again, hopefully this will all be sorted out soon.

Edit: I just uploaded it and then downloaded, installed and played it, it all works fine (filefront), hopefully the armaholic one will be fixed soon too.

Edited by LJF

Tested, and its a very nice little island. :)

Have a problem with the grass though. Same problem as with Namalsk before he fixed it. Even on LOW grass its very heavy, and when i turn grass off i get superb performance. I saw that you have been working on this, but to be even more optimal (let more people enjoy it with grass) it would be awesome if the lower setting (terrain detail) could have less grass.

I admit i dont know how the engine works when creating islands. Like if you can choose the clutter on each setting? Or you just add grass and the engine will scale it on its own? Anyway, if it is possible to make the clutter less heavy on LOW it would be great.

Really like the island regardless. :) Good job man.

Alex

Tested, and its a very nice little island. :)

Have a problem with the grass though. Same problem as with Namalsk before he fixed it. Even on LOW grass its very heavy, and when i turn grass off i get superb performance. I saw that you have been working on this, but to be even more optimal (let more people enjoy it with grass) it would be awesome if the lower setting (terrain detail) could have less grass.

I admit i dont know how the engine works when creating islands. Like if you can choose the clutter on each setting? Or you just add grass and the engine will scale it on its own? Anyway, if it is possible to make the clutter less heavy on LOW it would be great.

Really like the island regardless. :) Good job man.

Alex

Thanks, glad you like it :)

I tried to keep the grass as close as possible to the Chernarus grass in terms of performance. I just did the following tests on Isle Van Den and Chernarus:

Normal Terrain Detail / Very High Terrain Detail

46 / 38 Isle Van Den

45 / 39 Chernarus

It may be different on yours though, I've only tested on my machine. This certainly was a massive problem before, as the old version had quite high and dense grass that absolutely killed my frame rate past medium. As much as possible I've played around with the settings to achieve a balance between a number of things: looks, performance and gameplay.

The grass is rendered (? not sure how all that works but it happens somewhere between when you start up ArmA and actually get your feet on the ground) based on a config file located within the island's .pbo, in it you define the individual clutter settings (which are objects like trees or rocks, things like size, how much wind effects them and so on), secondly you define clutter groups, which is basically just a collection of the former, in my island I have tall grass and a low spiky sort of grass in the group assigned to my grass textures, finally there are surfaces (according to the texture), in this you set a clutter group.

I'll certainly play around with the clutter some more and hopefully resolve any performance issues you and anyone else is having. Thanks again for your comment,

LJF

Ok mate. No worries. I know my pc isnt the best and if i had the money i would upgrade in a heart beat. But comparing on my pc between Cherna and Isle Van Den - then Cherna is almost even better FPS on HIGH grass compared to LOW on yours. And your island is much smaller. :)

The grass is really nice on your island. Its dense so im guessing this is the reason. If i have it set to lowest - lots of lag, and if i turn off (go from lowest to off) i get massive awesome performance - almost fluid gameplay. So i recognize it from Namalsk's awesome grass that also was FPS killing a lot until he fixed it - somehow? It looks the same but has 1000x improvement in performance.

Thanks for looking into it though. :)

Alex

Thanks for the update LJF.

You made a mistake with packing. You have included isle_van_den\ca configs.

This is quite bad.

In Binbpo the addon source path must be isle_van_den\isle_van_den.

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to look into that, see what he did.

Kju, so the "ca" folder should go into the second Isle Van Den folder? With data and the wrp? I'll try that tomorrow I think.

Thanks for your replies guys, I'll try to get the grass running better, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the tall grass. Something to do with the transparencies or something (LJF scratches head in confusion).

Structure:

p:\isle_van_den\isle_van_den\$PBOPREFIX$ (contains: isle_van_den\isle_van_den)

p:\isle_van_den\isle_van_den\*.wrp

p:\isle_van_den\isle_van_den\data\layers\*

p:\isle_van_den\ca\*.cpp

Addon source dir: p:\isle_van_den\isle_van_den

Path to project folder: p:\isle_van_den

Not sure if these entries have anything to do with the above post about ca, but here's the errors thrown up in my .rpt file:-

Conflicting addon A_Crane_02 in 'ca\buildings2\a_crane_02\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\a_crane_02\'
Conflicting addon CAHouseBlock_D in 'ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_d\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_d\'
Conflicting addon Misc_PowerStation in 'ca\buildings2\misc_powerstation\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\misc_powerstation\'
Conflicting addon Ind_Shed_02 in 'ca\buildings2\ind_shed_02\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_shed_02\'
Conflicting addon Church_01 in 'ca\buildings2\church_01\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\church_01\'
Conflicting addon Ind_Tank in 'ca\buildings2\ind_tank\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_tank\'
Conflicting addon Shed_small in 'ca\buildings2\shed_small\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\shed_small\'
Conflicting addon A_statue in 'ca\buildings2\a_statue\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\a_statue\'
Conflicting addon Rail_House_01 in 'ca\buildings2\rail_house_01\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\rail_house_01\'
Conflicting addon CAHouseBlock_C in 'ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_c\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_c\'
Conflicting addon Ind_Garage01 in 'ca\buildings2\ind_garage01\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_garage01\'
Conflicting addon Barn_Metal in 'ca\buildings2\barn_metal\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\barn_metal\'
Conflicting addon CAHouseBlock_B in 'ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_b\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_b\'
Conflicting addon HouseRuins in 'ca\buildings2\houseruins\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\houseruins\'
Conflicting addon CABuildingParts_Signs in 'ca\buildings2\buildingparts\signs\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\buildingparts\signs\'
Conflicting addon Ind_Shed_01 in 'ca\buildings2\ind_shed_01\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_shed_01\'
Conflicting addon Farm_Cowshed in 'ca\buildings2\farm_cowshed\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\farm_cowshed\'
Conflicting addon CAHouseBlock_A in 'ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_a\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_a\'
Conflicting addon CABuildings2_Misc_Cargo in 'ca\buildings2\misc_cargo\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\misc_cargo\'
Conflicting addon Shed_wooden in 'ca\buildings2\shed_wooden\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\shed_wooden\'
Conflicting addon CABuildings2 in 'ca\buildings2\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\'
Conflicting addon CABuildingParts in 'ca\buildings2\buildingparts\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\buildingparts\'
Conflicting addon IndPipe2 in 'ca\buildings2\ind_pipeline\indpipe2\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_pipeline\indpipe2\'
Conflicting addon Misc_WaterStation in 'ca\buildings2\misc_waterstation\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\misc_waterstation\'
Conflicting addon CABuildings2_A_Pub in 'ca\buildings2\a_pub\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\a_pub\'
Conflicting addon CATEC in 'ca\buildings2\buildingparts\signs\tec\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\buildingparts\signs\tec\'
Conflicting addon CAStructures_IndPipe1_todo_delete in 'ca\buildings2\ind_pipeline\indpipe1\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_pipeline\indpipe1\'
Conflicting addon A_GeneralStore_01 in 'ca\buildings2\a_generalstore_01\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\a_generalstore_01\'
Conflicting addon Farm_WTower in 'ca\buildings2\farm_wtower\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\farm_wtower\'
Conflicting addon Ind_Workshop01 in 'ca\buildings2\ind_workshop01\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\buildings2\ind_workshop01\'
Conflicting addon CAData in 'ca\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\'
Conflicting addon CAData_ParticleEffects in 'ca\data\particleeffects\', previous definition in 'isle_van_den\ca\data\particleeffects\'

Oh and i have no problems running the map, very smooth.

Hmm, I'll put the CA folder in the same level as the .wrp and cfg, hopefully that will fix up those errors :( Thanks to both of you for your help, glad yours runs OK Bob :) I'm still interested to know what the author of Namalsk did with the grass too.