Sign in to follow this  
RavoC

Fallen trees

So I'm playing but some trees I can just drive through when they are fallen down, some where just on the road blocking my way. Wouldn't that be nice to use in ambushes. Make it possible to collide into them?

Greets,

RavoC

+1 for this feature, i'd love to be able to use fallen trees as cover and as an obstacle.

Keep in mind that AI has already problems with pathfinding in a wide and clear road..:p

Keep in mind that AI has already problems with pathfinding in a wide and clear road..:p

So if you need a roadblock, just use a AI truck driver with a clear waypoint!

MfG Lee :eek:

Isnt there a reason to why it is like this? Cant remember what that reason would be, but think there is one.

I think adding solidity to 1000's of trees might ass some lag not sure. But then again you could have it just become solid when it falls over. Maybe it has to do with no physics.

I think adding solidity to 1000's of trees might ass some lag not sure. But then again you could have it just become solid when it falls over. Maybe it has to do with no physics.

but it is solid already when it stands up. it offers cover doesn't it?

When it's on the ground it is supposed to go under the ground like in Operation Flashpoint. Still old scripting kind of in ArmA 2. So when it doesn't go under the ground when it is like on a hill and falls in the side of the valley.. it's just.. something you can go through.. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be a problem for the vehicle that made the tree fall to drive over it?

Wouldn't it be a problem for the vehicle that made the tree fall to drive over it?

Yes, which might not be all bad, considering how I could level the Amazonian rainforest in my MTVR or light APC. Trees would actually be obstacles then. But the solution would be to delay the collision until the tree fell completely.

It would probably flip tanks, though.

I'm sure BIS have thought of this feature but left it out for a reason, there's probably more to it and it's more complicated than we think.

I think its simple: If you make them all physical objects when fallen down, you would create an enormous strain on MP servers, since trees falling down happens a lot (my guess is that on a 32 player server, every 5 seconds a tree collapses) So then the server has to send hundereds of tree positions to all players when the game progresses

Ofc it could be a solid object, but then you cant even drive past it with an M1.

Let alone have AI find a way then...

I think its fine the way it is. but the only thing that bothers me: it doesnt block view afaik, so when you hide behind a fallen tree, AI see you right trough it (need to test properly)

I think its simple: If you make them all physical objects when fallen down, you would create an enormous strain on MP servers, since trees falling down happens a lot (my guess is that on a 32 player server, every 5 seconds a tree collapses) So then the server has to send hundereds of tree positions to all players when the game progresses

That has to happen anyway, trees fall over in MP and all players see the fallen trees. All that's missing is the corresponding collision LoD, which would be handled per machine as a result of the tree falling.

I guess the main problem is that trees falling, although a nice effect, is really a premade hinged affair, each tree always falls down the same way every time regardless of how it's hit. So trying to deliberately block a road would be a bit hit & miss depending on how lucky you are with the hinged nature of the tree.

I guess the main problem is that trees falling, although a nice effect, is really a premade hinged affair, each tree always falls down the same way every time regardless of how it's hit. So trying to deliberately block a road would be a bit hit & miss depending on how lucky you are with the hinged nature of the tree.

I don't see that as the main problem but marely a minor annoying side problem!

Should the tree become a "static" object as soon as it's fallen or should it be delayed?

What if driver stops ontop of just fallen trees should the tree then detect if it's free?

I see many problems with this, but if it could be done it would be cool but i highly doubt it will be something we'll see anytime soon(i do hope i'm wrong though).

Aside from the AI and driving over problems there actually may be performance loss, since the tree collision model is quite complex and the fall to the ground could trigger a lot of calculations. But it could switch to a simplier model (made just of the trunk, or a simple long block) and the fall would look better, the tree wouldn't hang in the air on thin branches.

Anyway, it would be a nice addition to the gameplay IMO.