Sign in to follow this  
MangoForLife

Bad things about Arma2

The point is ArmA2 gives you the choice how to play, unlike any other FPS game out there. If you like respawning and killing AI, do it. If you prefer PVP do it. If you want realism then play more realistic missions and adjust your difficulty settings.

You're arguing for removing the very freedom which is the game's biggest strength and selling point. Makes no sense to me at all.

I'm interested to know where in the world your playing? Americas/Europe/Asia etc.

As for me in Europe, it seems there are plenty of people playing, but it will be dependent on what day and what time.

With regards to the servers, I think more detailed info as to the servers settings/scripts used and to whom or what category the server is aimed at would be more useful;

beginners/hardcore/casual but experienced players etc.

I think blanket dictatorial measures is too extreme. In an industry (or world for that matter) that is tightening restrictions on what you can or can't do without getting licences/written approvals/membership/passports etc. well... all I can say is that those rare things that allow a true sense of freedom to do what you want are disapearing.

I would consider this game one of those thing, and I for one would be gutted if that was to change.

P.S - NOBODY'S PLAYING THIS GAME!.............(Any ideas why this is?)

Well here's a list of possibles:

spending time with their family

at work/school

looking for jobs

playing sports

Traveling

studying

paying bills

having friends round etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be elements of the game that are reducing the player numbers... though I'm sure there is some amount of truth to that.

I know I barely find the time to play these days.

I am just amazed the op made a thread about certain games. Arma allows ALL game modes. DO YOU UNDERSTAND, any game mode you wish is possible. What other game provides that kind of flexibility?

Find a frickin' mission that suits your play style and if you can't find one google Arma 2 mission editing. Learn to use the editor, it's quite simple to put scenarios together, may take a while to do the advanced scripting and stuff. Stick at it and come back to these forums and post the link to your mission in the appropriate section and I'm sure many people will play it. The community is very receptive like that.

I honestly don't think you realise that most of the missions on the servers are in fact user missions.

Again, all you guys telling me to design my own mission.. run my own server.. and play the game the way I like it... ALONE?? No thanks.

I understand u are fine with the way the multiplayer servers look right now.. I'm not. As I said before, 99% of the servers are Run & Gun arcade games. So what exactly has this freedom to create any mission we like accomplished for us?? -

Of COURSE, if an Easy game mode is out there, people will be playing it.. I'm just asking for an executive decison to raise the bar a bit higher. Start by getting rid of the suck-ass MHQ.

If you had any idea of how the game actually worked, Mango, you would know that it would be very difficult for BIS to remove the ability to use MHQs anyways. They're done by scripts, and each is different for each map. It would require tons of scripting to even have a small chance of blocking the use of MHQs, especially due to the robust scripting languages.

Also, I like to play with crosshairs sometimes, thanks. I can play just as well without them, but I usually always play in SP with them. And I'm not a "noob" to the game either. It's how I like to play the game, and BIS doesn't stop me from enjoying myself.

For the love of God, stop posting the same stuff over and over and over, and then to not expect getting the same answers over and over and over. It's literally like it won't get through to you. Maybe this will help.

FREEDOM IS WHAT MAKES BIS' GAMES GREAT

Start by getting rid of the suck-ass MHQ.

The MHQ is not just a vehicle you just place in your mission and dada you can spawn at it. It's done with scripting!

With games like Domination they are there for a reason, the war is on the entire map and sometimes theres nobody who can fly then people moan because they can't get to redzone. No respawning... lol yeah imagine you die after 10 min and have to wait 6 hours before a new round start :p

Instead of telling everybody what they should do how about your start out by hosting your own missions with your own rules? (no thanks you say... well then you have no right to even think what other people should do)

With this link you can see now about a thousand gamers online with Arma2 on more than 600 servers.

An hour and a half ago it was about a 1.500 cogamers and more than 800 servers.

Enough for everyone.

Why do you have such a grudge against the MHQ? It's just a vehicle that's had a script or two added to it, BIS can't do anything to get rid of it, they didn't make it. A mission maker did, and it's up to them what they put in their missions.

Same applies with respawn, it's just a piece of code in the mission, it can be removed. Hell, you could create your own evo/domination with no MHQ/Respawn etc, easy enough to do. Plenty of people make the sort of missions you're after, why not go out and find a server playing it?

Oh, and as for the comments about no-one playing this game, I have no idea where you got that from, because there are hundreds of servers with thousands of players out there.

You know what? I'm glad the game isn't mainstream. I've been playing FPS games online for years... From Joint Operations, to the Battlefield series, Call Of Duty, Gears Of War and so on.... I don't play them anymore. Why?

In my opinion, people in general are more concerned with stats. They are concerned with their total headshot count. They are concerned with the amount of dogtags they have. They stat-pad to fulfill their internet ego's. They hack and cheat to achieve the same results.

Arma is different. Again, in my opinion, Arma is wonderful because there is no reason to cheat. Cheating is what deters me from playing all those other games. With Arma, I satisfy myself by accomplishing things in the game that require teamplay.

If this game went completely mainstream and gained the popularity similar to other titles, this community would be no different than the others. People pay upwards of 100$ to cheat in games that, if they took their time, could achieve close to the same results if they just practiced and learned the games. Most other games are only "clean" games for the first year or so, maybe less. When a game is released, the hack are expensive, so the masses that play those games do not have access to hacks at first. But as the games age, the hacks become cheaper and easier to get. Eventually, what you have is at least one cheater in every server. Even if they aren't going 100-1 KDR, there are closet cheaters, the kind of people that join a "No Cheat" clan and cheat right under their so-called friends noses.

In a nutshell, if this game grew beyond the intimate community it now has, most server admins would be stricken with the same problems the admins of those other FPS games have. Being an admin for Joint Operations, the entire Battlefield series and COD series, I spent alot of my time kicking and banning cheaters, going over fraps footage, and battlerecorder footage, checking screenshots etc.... It turned into a fucking job.

Not to mention the limitations of those games. I NEVER play them anymore. I am much happier playing Arma. Theres no drama. Except, well.... take a guess....

Soon, I will start looking for a clan/squad to join with the hopes of meeting new people with the same interests as me in terms of the style of play I'm looking for. The relevance to this last statement should be obvious, but I'll point it out and reiterate nonetheless. in terms of the style of play I'm looking for Every niche is covered with this game, it just might take a little work to find what best suits you as an individual. Theres no reason for BIS to make any limitations whatsoever, when we, the community, can do that ourselves.

Edited by PaperCut

As I said before, 99% of the servers are Run & Gun arcade games.
Odd.. last time I played on a Dom or Evo server the basic gameplay mechanics were still the same. Die in one hit, can't raise your weapon while running, or is this classified as Run & Gun now? :j:

You know what? I'm glad the game isn't mainstream. I've been playing FPS games online for years... From Joint Operations, to the Battlefield series, Call Of Duty, Gears Of War and so on.... I don't play them anymore. Why?

In my opinion, people in general are more concerned with stats. They are concerned with their total headshot count. They are concerned with the amount of dogtags they have. They stat-pad to fulfill their internet ego's. They hack and cheat to achieve the same results.

Arma is different. Again, in my opinion, Arma is wonderful because there is no reason to cheat. Cheating is what deters me from playing all those other games. With Arma, I satisfy myself by accomplishing things in the game that require teamplay.

If this game went completely mainstream and gained the popularity similar to other titles, this community would be no different than the others. People pay upwards of 100$ to cheat in games that, if they took their time, could achieve close to the same results if they just practiced and learned the games. Most other games are only "clean" games for the first year or so, maybe less. When a game is released, the hack are expensive, so the masses that play those games do not have access to hacks at first. But as the games age, the hacks become cheaper and easier to get. Eventually, what you have is at least one cheater in every server. Even if they aren't going 100-1 KDR, there are closet cheaters, the kind of people that join a "No Cheat" clan and cheat right under their so-called friends noses.

In a nutshell, if this game grew beyond the intimate community it now has, most server admins would be stricken with the same problems the admins of those other FPS games have. Being an admin for Joint Operations, the entire Battlefield series and COD series, I spent alot of my time kicking and banning cheaters, going over fraps footage, and battlerecorder footage, checking screenshots etc.... It turned into a fucking job.

Not to mention the limitations of those games. I NEVER play them anymore. I am much happier playing Arma. Theres no drama. Except, well.... take a guess....

Soon, I will start looking for a clan/squad to join with the hopes of meeting new people with the same interests as me in terms of the style of play I'm looking for. The relevance to this last statement should be obvious, but I'll point it out and reiterate nonetheless. in terms of the style of play I'm looking for Every niche is covered with this game, it just might take a little work to find what best suits you as an individual. Theres no reason for BIS to make any limitations whatsoever, when we, the community, can do that ourselves.

keep dreaming papercut??? arma 1 was hacked to death

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

did you play arma 1 papercut???? hacked to death

No, run & gun is when game mode is such that it allows people becoming stupid instead of thinking and being afraid to die. There is no penalty to dieing. You will respawn in 20 seconds. Score board reflects score without taking into account how much you died. People are score whores. The default Domination mode allows you to pack DMR, SMAW w/3 rockets, and M107 filled to the brink. Add possibility for unlimited rifle ammo. It's all possible via exploits. And I rarely find roleplaying individuals out there. It's all about getting the score, using any means possible to get it. Add that everyone can get whatever weapons they like. Often you'll see medics with the above mentioned extreme loudout... Flying attack helicopters.

That's the cost of "freedom" for you. Yes, Domination has a shitload of features built into it, but unfortunately most players play for score. I never understood why score is shown for coop games at all. Servers can turn it off, but very few does.

Run & gun is a consequence of a game mode design flaws allowing players to exploit it, which they will. Run & gun happens when there is no cost to respawning. Why stay alive when it's easier to respawn?

Btw, I love Domination for what it is and how it is made, but I don't very much fancy the way it is played publically.

With that, I say MangoForLife's statement is a fairly valid one, considering most public games are of these sorts.

Please note that I don't mind respawnig or even magic teleporters for these kinds of games. Anything else would be too cumbersome for most to handle. But the respawn system could need a redesign so that you would be penlized for dieing often and rewarded for staying alive. A simple variable respawn timer based on efforts would probably be sufficient. As game doesn't support it by default, you would have to script a prison system which you can't get out of until timer has run out.

If respawning times increased every time you died, people might be more careful in what they do out there. Because the current situation is just insanity at best, and has nothing to do with realism or simulation.

Again, all you guys telling me to design my own mission.. run my own server.. and play the game the way I like it... ALONE?? No thanks.

I understand u are fine with the way the multiplayer servers look right now.. I'm not. As I said before, 99% of the servers are Run & Gun arcade games. So what exactly has this freedom to create any mission we like accomplished for us?? -

Of COURSE, if an Easy game mode is out there, people will be playing it.. I'm just asking for an executive decison to raise the bar a bit higher. Start by getting rid of the suck-ass MHQ.

Many people play on private servers (my group for example) to keep the riff raff out.

It's only really the pub servers that are running EVO etc.

You can create whatever you want via the editor and you can make it impossibly hard (most of my missions are) if that's what you like.

I really don't see what your problem is :confused:

" But the respawn system could need a redesign so that you would be penlized for dieing often and rewarded for staying alive. A simple variable respawn timer based on efforts would probably be sufficient. As game doesn't support it by default, you would have to script a prison system which you can't get out of until timer has run out.

If respawning times increased every time you died, people might be more careful in what they do out there. Because the current situation is just insanity at best, and has nothing to do with realism or simulation. "

Ok, this might be a great way to feck over all the peeps who run n gun. But what about those of us who DO like the game as is? Those of us who do play tacticly. There is a time as well where you have to run n gun as well as play tacticly.

Ya wanna know what your idea really does??? On the outside yeah it seems sound, but in reality it takes away the freedom to play the game how each person decides to play it. Quite literally it sucks the fun right out of the game.

I have seen game devs make a game just like you described. I have seen forced teamplay attributes. Rock paper scizzors weap balancing, the works. BF 2 comes easilly to mind. And if ya don`t mind that kinda thing, it can be cool. But to force it across the board?

I wouldn`t play the kind of game play you are describing out of principal. Htf do you arbitrarilly wave this kinda thing??? Loads of peeps PLAY this game tacticly, and still get killed ingame. So you think cause of the few you see quaking, the whole game needs to be fixed to force peeps to not wanna get kacked so they are not penalized?????

If ARMA 2 ever adopts this, I`ll delete it asap. It is whiners who want us all forced to play the game 1.... ONE way, that is killing gaming.

keep dreaming papercut??? arma 1 was hacked to death

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

did you play arma 1 papercut???? hacked to death

I bought it and played around with it a little bit, didn't really get into it since it was my first foray in the milsim department.... But your statement is rather disconcerting.

Edited by PaperCut

The good thing about Arma is FADE, meaning if you try to hack the game or bypass copy protection then you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

BIS is wasting their time concentrating efforts on AI development, the FUTURE is more HUMAN players on a server.
Actually, the most important developments in gaming relate to artificial intelligence. Maybe in 100(?) years, gamers will pay to enter a Holodeck (yes, like the one in Star Trek) and play against AI whose intelligence will, at some point, rival the human brain. Aside from that, what else is there to work on except for more realistic graphics?
Nobody WANTS to play against AI. It's just that the map is EMPTY.
Yes, I'd much rather play against 13-year-olds on public servers.

This whole thread is just another take on the public vs. private server situation. It's already been beaten to death. If you want to play a certain way, host your own server and play with friends who like to play the way you do. Was there ever a game that gave you more options to do that than Arma 1/2?

"nobody wants to"

this is ridiculous and i am really sick of reading it on these boards. i never play MP. maybe i would love it or probably i would hate it because id prefer a more realistic environment or at least one more catered to my wants. probably in fact, MY personal wants are similar to the MP whiners. but you know what i do because of that instead of complaining about how other people play? i PLAY THE AI, because that way i can set up my own scenarios, my own rules, etc. that is what the game was designed for. and frankly that AI needs work to make that a better experience.

i wish these MP kiddies could make their points without resorting to nonsense about how BIS needs to stop working on SP, or AI, or 'no one' wants that. it is nothing short of preposterous.

Ok, this might be a great way to feck over all the peeps who run n gun. But what about those of us who DO like the game as is? Those of us who do play tacticly. There is a time as well where you have to run n gun as well as play tacticly.

If you played tactically, you wouldn't die so much, now would you? If you still do, then tweak the mission difficulty to suit your gaming skill or unit strenght. Any closed server could (and should?) be as free as you wish, as you're generally more disciplined. Give me one organized squad where everyone runs around with DMR/SMAW/M107 combo. Nobody, or at least very very few.

And no, I didn't mean hardcoded into the engine, but the missions that go "mainstream", so that playing on public servers could be fun again. Just visit any of these servers and try to make people play more realistic. For me this is a game about realism. Those looking for run & gun should player games that are based on that. They play Arma because it is realistic, but have no intention of playing in a realistic fashion. This ruins it for those that does, when they have to use public servers due to lack of friends still awake :p

Game should stay as it is. The missions need respawn system redesigned, that's my point.

I.e. you have respawn timer at 20 sec as today. When you get killed, it doubles to 40 sec. But once you respawn it starts to go down to 20 again, say by 1 or 2 seconds every minute. If you get killed when it is 30, it would double to 60. People who gets killed occasionally wouldn't even feel this system. People who constantly gets killed, ruining the realism that this game is based on (by doing stupid things like paradropping right on top of the enemy), would have a problem eventually. And force them to start thinking about what they are doing wrong. That would, at least in my view, make the gameplay better for everyone. Sorry, I just fail to see how it could be bad for anyone. :(

To the others about scrapping AI. BIS games are the only one I know of with decent support for coop on larger scales. My squad plays coop exclusively, and based on some of the recent polls/charts, coop is the most played game mode. It's one of the most absolute key features of the game. Why would they scrap coop when they have so many fans loving it?

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Oh great, here we go again. :rolleyes:

oh yes maddogx, QFR!! those were also my first thoughts, as i saw the name of the topic and then the name of the first poster -> mangoforlife!

you have already started all this stuff in:

'I'm really baffled by the way people are playing the online multiplayer game.'

'Evolution'

and now

'Bad things about Arma2'

first i saw your comments in the evolution thread, which i follow and from your profile i found "the buffled" thread. whiles reading the evo thread, i nearly felt to answered twice, after i saw your comments. especially the quote below! but i thought, it would be just a waste of time! just like now! whiles reading your posts @ evo, i suddenly realised, for what the ignore function i once had seen, that was new to me when i finally registerd after a few years here *caugh*, is ment for and as soon i find this option again, i can proudly present my first "item" in my "personal ignorefirewall" on this forum hehehee.

Guys, I'm not intrested in the endless missions and numorous clans I can join. I'm talking about what can be done on the public servers.

Sorry, but I think this sillyness with Arma being an open ended game where everyone can design his own mission just hurt the game. BIS could have done better with imposing some restrictions (Respawns, MHQ, + get rid of those stupid imaginary Crossahairs!.. etc') - U leave it open ended like it is now and all u get is people running around JUST LIKE in Cod, Teleporting, Respawning endlessly etc' etc' - Go online and see for yourselves.

Yeah, I don't know anything about scripting, but I feel BIS could have sacrifiecd some of the so called "freedom" of their game in order to get rid of all the aforementioned crap.

What can I say...:confused: If BIS people are happy to see all these run & gun game modes rule 99% of what's being played online, I wish them all the best. I think it's outrageous that a game with such great potential is going to waste. And please don't suggest I join a Clan, open my own server, or go online and play the version I prefer... ALONE...

if you prefer playing alone, why bothering what is played on public servers!?! your're better off to go and play games A L O N E where developers tell you:

We would like you to play the game the way we designed and balanced it.

think, there is something coming out soon and i think the name had something to do with modern warfare or something like that and for heaven sake, join the other DOA forum @ CM and tell them something about their "brilliant" game!! maybe they want to hear ya there!! regarding to all your posts, i only have to say, like many told ya before.........ah...nope.....changed my mind and why should i waste more time on this. besides, everybody told you already in 3 threads the same again and again and again and again:

For the love of God, stop posting the same stuff over and over and over, and then to not expect getting the same answers over and over and over. It's literally like it won't get through to you. Maybe this will help.

FREEDOM IS WHAT MAKES BIS' GAMES GREAT

already wondering, what the name of your next thread will be, after this one hits page 3, 5 or 10 like the others!?!?

over and out

ps: soz guyz, but this just had to be said

Edited by Chaostika7-17th

What's next?

No dedi?

No Lean?

Remember this classic statement?

"the game is not balanced for lean"[/Quote]

@ OP : There are plenty of games that have the type of gameplay you want. A2 will never be changed to suit you so best to just adapt or get lost.

/kthxbye

Edited by BangTail

Mango, maybe you should play Chernarus Life and be one of the prick cops. That seems right up your alley. You cry about a lack of realism and when it is pointed out that there are squads that play that way you say they don't count, only being 1-3 squads. Well that's a false number just as your claim that nobody plays is false. There are dozens of groups that play for realism. Many do not play on public servers, which is a shame, but it keeps the trash out. It is clear from your posts that you have no interest in finding the type of game play you are looking for as you refuse to exert the minimal effort required to find it.