Sign in to follow this  
Whiskey_Tango

eotech fov

is there any way to bring the eotech closer?.....i have a holosight on my ar and with them you are supposed to fix both eyes on target while looking through it with one, in game you are holding the gun out in front and while that gives a good feel of looking through a the aimpoint it is far off from what a holosight is like...

seems like bringing the gun closer but without zooming the view would give it a better feel?

any way to mod the sight?

You can hold down -(numpad) to zoom out the view more but it zooms into far you probably wont find it very effective.

I've been waiting for either a mod or patch to the Eotech is kind of off sometimes for me and like you said kind of to zoomed in.

i know with mine when i pull the rifle up to aquire a target its like i dont see the rifle at all, playing around with it right now i notice that i faintly see the frame of the sight but it is heavily blurred because my eyes are focused on target only, its kinda like a ring that can just be moved onto target without obstructing anything except the view downward

the 65mil ring is definately much larger in person than compared to in game

in game feels like holding a gun in front of you

use pus on numpad to zoom closer, it's how i solve shooting from further away.

The FOV in game is different than RL FOV for various reasons, and that causes a bunch of things to look a bit funny. Unfortunately there is no real solution to this.

Semi-transparent sight made out of a 3D model is also extremely hard to implement (don't be mislead by games that make semi-transparent 2D sights, as that is easy, but looks appropriately ugly).

Hes talking about the weapon orgins while in ironsight mode not fov value, i know extactly what he means. Some of the weapon systems the FOV should remain the same and that the weapon itself should be brought closer to the eye when in ironsight mode but it doesnt it insted alters the players FOV to make the weapon stay put while zooming the players FOV making the sight seem closer to the actual eye.

The FOV should remain constant ie it does not not change the human eye does not have a zoom function.

Hes talking about the weapon orgins while in ironsight mode not fov value, i know extactly what he means. Some of the weapon systems the FOV should remain the same and that the weapon itself should be brought closer to the eye when in ironsight mode but it doesnt it insted alters the players FOV to make the weapon stay put while zooming the players FOV making the sight seem closer to the actual eye.

The FOV should remain constant ie it does not not change the human eye does not have a zoom function.

thats exactly what im talking about...i know the game can be heavily modified but i dont know how far it can go in relation to this...i think it would add more to the immersion if it looks more like the sights when used in person

I'm no modeller, but I think there is a memory point in the pilot view for weapons that defines where your eye is positioned at.

So it might just work to put that memory point closer to the sight.

Yeh i tried that had a look at the memory points last night infact, i think the memory points are located in the models .p3d if so then i dont think we can edit them because the models cannot be opened for editing which is a shame. Its interesting to see how some of weapons look if they are in "GL Eye" view some of them look pretty good like the MGs lol

The human eye may not have a zoom function, but the human eye CAN spot people easily at 300m and much further than that while still maintaining a FOV of 120 degrees. You can't do that in a game due to monitor limitations, which is what the zoom comes to compensate for. In fact, the zoom doesn't compensate for it well enough, and it's still very hard to see distant targets that would have been easy to see IRL.

yeah, on a weapon model under the memory LOD there will be an point (sometimes more than one) called "eye" or whatever it has been defined as. Moving this nearer the scope/sight would make it look as though its nearer the user's eye. That would achieve what you are after.

The human eye may not have a zoom function, but the human eye CAN spot people easily at 300m and much further than that while still maintaining a FOV of 120 degrees. You can't do that in a game due to monitor limitations, which is what the zoom comes to compensate for. In fact, the zoom doesn't compensate for it well enough, and it's still very hard to see distant targets that would have been easy to see IRL.

There should be a topic about "Things people should know about Arma2"

So many people see zoom as a magical ability when it's just the way the game simulates human eye "resolution" and concentration. Imagine your normal view to be the casual look around. When you spot something just by looking casually around, you say "Hey what is that?" and you look more carefully. You focus! That's what the zoom is for.

If you don't have that, then you need a huge damn monitor with ultra high resolution that covers your entire wall (well, that depends on the distance between you and the monitor and the true human eye FOV but I don't want to get technical now).

Same goes with the usual "Real people don't see magical floating crosshairs lol so crosshair is cheating let's remove it".

Yeah I know, but the magical screen crosshair gives you an impression about where your weapon is going to point when you decide to bring up irosights or optics (I personally never use crosshairs to shoot unless I would actually shoot without ironsights in that distance without wasting bullets, you know like when you turn around a corner and see a dude aiming at you or something). It's a natural human ability. You have a pretty good idea where you are about to point your weapon because you control your hands and arms yourself. Using a mouse on a 2d surface based on the visual date from a 2d monitor isn't the best way to simulate this, so you need on screen indicators.

And now I am off topic! :)

Edited by Master gamawa

If anything BIS/the publisher should explain all the things us fans take for granted but mystify new players used to their arcadey CoDs and Dragon Risings..