Sign in to follow this  
9thAircav

kiska / skira ,does anyone want to see this island in A2 ? (the OFPDR island)

Îο, I just want them to change the name of their game to "Operation: Dragon Rising" because there is only ONE TRUE HOLY OPERATION FLASHPOINT.

Well, i was hoping to make a campaign called RisingDragon...

Its like this, this little island with a bunch of history has changed hands several times over the years but now <contry1> has invaded. The rest of the world frown on this and send in <country2> to sort it out. Yeah, you start off on the West side of the island and slowly push the <contry1> forces back.

And just to be clever i thought i'd leave the whole thing up in the air with a real bad ending and zero resolved issues.

What do you think? :whistle:

Its like this, this little island with a bunch of history has changed hands several times over the years but now <contry1> has invaded. The rest of the world frown on this and send in <country2> to sort it out. Yeah, you start off on the West side of the island and slowly push the <contry1> forces back.

And just to be clever i thought i'd leave the whole thing up in the air with a real bad ending and zero resolved issues.

Best. Campaign. Ever.

[/endsarcasm]

Great idea ..

Use lot of arty and air support, make the radio be really useful!

Can I suggest country ?? C.1 is China and C.2. is Russia !!!

Use the ace2 mod and will be perfect !!!

Btw .. Good job !!

Great idea ..

Use lot of arty and air support, make the radio be really useful!

Can I suggest country ?? C.1 is China and C.2. is Russia !!!

Use the ace2 mod and will be perfect !!!

Btw .. Good job !!

Oh yeah, now that ACE2 has the PLA units... Whoever is working on this really actually should do the exact same campaign (except we need all the RU units on the blufor side instead of OpFor), same objectives and all, just with Arma instead of DR. And yes, definitely call it Operation RisingDragon.

@AJsarge

You can set the OPFOR friendly with BLUFOR only with a trigger in the editor, and set independent against everyone in the intel.

WEST setFriend [EAST,1]; EAST setFriend [WEST,1]

Or just group a leader from either side and set his probability of presence to "0". That way the group represent the side that leader is.

I think the Arma 2 community has such great mission makers that something much greater could be produced than the shoddy DR campaign. Just copypasting for the sake of showing off would be rather low, between Arma 2 and OF:DR there isn´t even a contest.

If at all, it should be copied to OFP:CWC, to show that an 8 year old game can put on a better show.

I think the whole Russia vs China thing, if it should be realistic, wouldn´t work, though, since they have a military and economic alliance (Shangai Coop Organization or whatever it´s called.)

A JSDF + USMC vs Russian Marines + VDV and PLA would be more realistic. Throw in some North Koreans and Taiwanese soldiers for good measure and you´d have WW3 in the sea of Japan.

No matter what missions will be released, though, I´m looking forward to this Island. :>

@InstaGoat

Altough I agree that a Russian-Chinese conflict is very unlikely (as much as an open conflict between the US and China/Russia), there were times when relations between the two countries went as "cold" as with the US (I know even some jokes about it). Example is when Stalin died and Hruschev took control of the USSR. Tensions were high between them until the mid 60s, and initially North Vietnam was backed only by China, the USSR was involved only much later because of it. And even Vietnam and China went to war against each other ( in the early 80s).

And remember, Germany and the USSR had military and economic alliance too in the 30s. By this I only mean that sometimes signed papers are meaning only toilet paper.

@InstaGoat

Altough I agree that a Russian-Chinese conflict is very unlikely (as much as an open conflict between the US and China/Russia), there were times when relations between the two countries went as "cold" as with the US (I know even some jokes about it). Example is when Stalin died and Hruschev took control of the USSR. Tensions were high between them until the mid 60s, and initially North Vietnam was backed only by China, the USSR was involved only much later because of it. And even Vietnam and China went to war against each other ( in the early 80s).

And remember, Germany and the USSR had military and economic alliance too in the 30s. By this I only mean that sometimes signed papers are meaning only toilet paper.

True enough, but I think, at least in the near future, neither of them could afford an armed conflict with the other. They both have nukes, they´re by now economically dependant on each other to a meaningful degree, and they have a common adversary to hold them together, which is the SEATO and NATO countries.

I have to say though, if the basic storyline is interesting, and most importantly the missions are good (Sort of the drama of EW but with a feel of a modern Iwo Jima to it, except everyone speaks russian.), the whole political background becomes almost irrelevant. DR didn´t do it, so there the awkwardness of the conflict stands out like a sore thumb.

Just read through the whole thread... man there is no better way to say: "Look at this Codies: this is how you wanted your game to be but failed! haha"

From the looks of some OFP: DR vids the terrain is very wide and flat (except some hilly parts at the coast and center of the island).

I guess it would even be possible to play at a much greater viewdistance than on Chernarus as the vegetation does not seem to be as dense...

-> Massive tank and jet combat at long range! :yay:

Just imagine a fullscale Russia vs China CTI with 64 players in multiplayer!

Guess I should stop otherwise I wont be able to sleep anymore ::p

I've heard on youtube that this is being done but now when I see that someone is actually really working on this... man...

This is the mod I will be waiting for! :yay:

I say go ahead, it'd be interesting to see what the island looks like in ArmA II. Just make sure it's legal for you to do so, of course

Codemasters bought the rights to a whole island now? :rolleyes:

I say do it, and do it well

Consolemasters bought everything, but they can't buy devotion, persistence and idea of free modding community!

And of course - they can't buy the damn island...

They failed anyways, it is time for Arma comunity to make decent version...

They failed anyways, it is time for Arma comunity to make decent version

Amen :D

Tho OFP: DR had such an awesome optimisation and animations, but gameplay just wasnt as fun as in ArmA2. btw, hows the island doing?

Amen :D

Tho OFP: DR had such an awesome optimisation

That's because it has:

- nonexistant textures

- not really detailed models

- brainfucked AI that couldn't even scratch their nose without a direct waypoint and an additional lua code (no additional "AI is thinking" load on the CPU)

etc etc

And still the performance is just a little better than in ArmA2. ;)

Well I'd say performance was much better in DR, but don't get me wrong, it has it's costs and you named few.

Honestly, I'd rather have Arma performance with Arma graphics anytime over DR ones... Even Arma 1 (just look at CAA1 in Arma 2) looks much better than DR...

I thought I saw a WIP video on SKIRA of a dude bezzin around in a blackhawk blasting some kings of leon...