Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I'm having a good time in the campaign despite the problems, but I really wish there was a save system and compass in the hardcore mode.

It's no OFP, but at least I can play it without running into nearly as many bugs. Come on, fix stuff before working on expansions. If I have to buy my squad weapons as part of ArmA2 then why the hell can't I buy my other guys weapons? I can go on and on. Once ArmA gets tweaked (what, 3 years from now?) THEN it will kick the crap out of all games.

That said I have mixed feelings about DR. It's fun and all but it's not like ofp, ArmA, or what ArmA2 wants to be at all. It's not a sim, its a slowed down and enhanced shooter with a big world. Hats off to the makers for a game well made but at the same time it pains me to see "Operation Flashpoint" on the box. Guess I'll go back to good ole OFP until X patch for ArmA2 makes ALL the bugs go away. Not hating on BIS, but really, some of the stuff I've seen in ArmA2 is just plain stupid, sure I can work around it, but I shouldn't have to.

I'm interested in that too. Where exactly the terrain in A2 is 'retarted'? In my opinion Chernarus is the best terrain BIS ever made so far. As for the AI, well in A2 they are very bright - sometimes at least and then again they are plain stupid. Atleast they return fire, take cover and hit with their weapons. The AI in DR are n00bs, they got me only a couple of times and that was my fault. And so far I had it only one time that they wiped out my whole team - in A2 that happens quite often. Guess that's on purpose so they don't scare the ... casual gamers away.

As for the FPS... no surprise this runs decent - with those low poly models and textures. If ArmA2 would look like this it would run @ 100 fps as well. Thank god it doesn't or I would have eyecancer by now. :D

I'm interested in that too. Where exactly the terrain in A2 is 'retarted'?

Its very flat compared to real terrain which has small bumps and ditches everywhere. But we wont see large scale terrain with such a small grid for another 5 or 10 years. No matter what engine you use.

EDIT: It doesnt bother me at all actually, i am from the Netherlands and am used to flat terrain. :D

Arma2 is like a wine i take some time to mellow, in one or two years most of you will have core i7 or i9, there will be tons of mods and faster GC and it will show potential that is not visible now for first look.

I think people need to start cutting open world 3d game Ai some slack here :rolleyes:

Think about it, the only games that are going to have really tight AI are either tightly scripted corridor type shooter or overhead 2d wargames like Close Combat where the combat is actually dice rolls, not a 3d entity (or hundreds) that have to understand their 3d terrain by the inches on all planes.

As a primarily SP player (due to time and terribly unstable internet), I applaud Arma2 and even DR for at least not abandoning AI and going strictly MP which would probably be a far easier route for them to take.

Arma2 is like a wine i take some time to mellow, in one or two years most of you will have core i7 or i9, there will be tons of mods and faster GC and it will show potential that is not visible now for first look.

That's a nice comparison here.

Hot beer comes to mind with DR. It tastes bad to begin with, but over the time it only gets worse (no SDK) :(

it only gets worse (no SDK) :(

Has that been confirmed yet, or is the team in charge of that on holiday still (its like what, 2 - 3 months now?)

Has that been confirmed yet, or is the team in charge of that on holiday still (its like what, 2 - 3 months now?)

No, it hasn't, I'm just following the pattern.

If it's negative and CM keep silent about it, then it's probably true.

SDK would mean less need for DLCs, would mean less money for them. I.e. either after theyve released all the DLCs - a long time, or never.

Its very flat compared to real terrain which has small bumps and ditches everywhere.

So it's retarded like... every video game world ever? It creates complex pieces of terrain that block line of sight on a large scale much better than any game I've played, and I love open world titles.

Not having an SDK on release is a really bad sign. Empire Total War has been out for what seems like years and the mod tools are still nowhere to be seen. The expansion and two DLCs will come first.

2 King Haggis: good fast review

I think OFP1 (8 years old game!!!) have more war feeling and realism, than this ugly sh*t as OFP2 can be. It is sorrowful. I want see some bigger rival for this czech game, but it is only dream.:fighting:

Well most people seem to like it. Theres a few minor tweaks needed on the interface and things like that, but nothing that a patch wont fix. The important thing is that the game isn't broken.

Im pretty sure that everyone on this forum is pretty understanding about games needing patches.

Well most people seem to like it. Theres a few minor tweaks needed on the interface and things like that, but nothing that a patch wont fix. The important thing is that the game isn't broken.

Im pretty sure that everyone on this forum is pretty understanding about games needing patches.

^

Hasn't read a single page of this thread.

Well the reaction to DR matches what I thought it would be

anyway, I have some niggling questions that have been bothering me:

first, what uniforms are the USMC wearing? desert or woodland? I cant tell! a couple pictures clearly indicate woodland but those appear to be old, and resent pics seems to be desert, but it is hard to tell

second, have you guys tested the FLIR scopes during the day time? all the FLIR footage i have seen seems to take place at night and might be the reason why there is no environmental signature.

Well most people seem to like it.

As far as I can tell, the majority are actually severely disappointed with the game. Are you basing this statement off of the poll results on the DR forums asking if you like the game? Personally I think those will be heavily inaccurate as many of the people who were disappointed with the game just upped and left, never to return to that forum. So obviously, they wouldn't have voted "No". Mostly everyone I've talked to who's played it dislikes it, and that's a mix between ArmA II players and CoD/BF/L4D/etc. players. You get the same answers.

The important thing is that the game isn't broken.

On the contrary, the game seems incredibly broken. The positive reviews are becoming increasingly evident to have sugar-coated the game, for what reason is unknown. The sounds just randomly cut out, the stringtable references are sometimes appearing rather than what should be there, the AI can't hit the blind side of a barn, the driving mechanics are terrible, the helicopter flight models are terrible and the helicopters loadouts are ridiculous, third person vehicle view is locked, the game relies heavily on spawning of enemies (which is stupid for a game where you can see your enemies from miles away), the editor seems to not work at all in the Steam version and once you reach the 63 entity limit in the normal version, there is no warning, just a gray screen that forces you to manually end the game. I could go on, but it'd take up much more space. And that's not mentioning the lack of dedicated servers and no CD keys.

The audio and stringtable issues are probably able to be fixed with patches. The flight models and driving mechanics might be too. But core gameplay decisions such as the terribly ported radial menu, the 63 entity limit, spawning of enemies, terrible AI, etc. Plus, the no CD keys issue will be incredibly difficult tasks for them to fix, if they even bother. I doubt these will be able to be fixed with great ease. At which point, the game is practically broken beyond repair.

Edited by Zipper5

^

He should be banned, he is just trying to get a reaction.

He was a major reason that the other thread got closed, best to ignore him and keep this thread on track.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

^

Or about 2/3rds of the posts on the PC section of the codemasters forums...

Stubborn, blinkered or just unwilling to admit? ;)

Indeed, best is just to ignore the obvious ... people.

Our shiny forum software even supports you with this. ;)

Indeed, best is just to ignore the obvious ... people.

Our shiny forum software even supports you with this. ;)

LoL

/10 chars

Yes I read the whole of this thread thanks. Around half the people who have played it in this thread have liked it, which isn't bad going really considering its an ARMA forum. Everyone has pointed out problems, but then say "overall it isn't a bad game" - which I would agree with.

Most people on the CM forum have liked it, and most of those that haven't liked it are people from this forum posting in multiple threads about how much they hate it.

And once again: What happens in the CM forums is totally irrelevant here, it just doesn't matter. The thread is about Dragon Rising and not about the CM forums or their community.

Yes I read the whole of this thread thanks. Around half the people who have played it in this thread have liked it, which isn't bad going really. Everyone has pointed out problems, but then say "overall it isn't a bad game" - which I would agree with.

Most people on the CM forum have liked it, and most of those that haven't liked it are people from this forum posting in multiple threads about how much they hate it.

Why do you constantly ignore my posts? You've called me a troll twice, and I contradicted your accusations both times. Neither times did you acknowledge what I've said. Now, the same thing has happened again.

On-topic: I'm going to be getting DR from a friend for free (yes, he dislikes it that much. He paid full price for it). PC version, of course. When I get it, I'm going to test it out and put together a DR vs ArmA II comparison video, which I will upload when finished. I just figure that the game could use a review from someone who played the original OFP since it's demo release, and continues to play it's sequels today.

"overall it isn't a bad game"

There is a big difference between "this isnt bad" and "I like this"...

Now I realise I should just put you on ignore, but then how will I know when you're spouting bullshit about how dr's FLIR is realistic or whatnot. You just cant win :j: