Sign in to follow this  
Stugwi

Securom is killin my DVD drive

If i leave my Arma DVD in the drive (only natural) and boot up my PC, my DVD drive makes repetitive noises causing my OS to take twice as long to boot up and putting stress on the drive.

If i leave the DVD out, boot up, sometimes the DVD drive does not eject.

When it does open i put my DVD in sometimes it makes those annoying repetative noises mentioned previously and i have to eject and retry.

Its obvious there is stress put on my hardware so please please give us a

NO CD PATCH

Cheers

Beta patches are no DVD patches.

If i leave my Arma DVD in the drive (only natural) and boot up my PC, my DVD drive makes repetitive noises causing my OS to take twice as long to boot up and putting stress on the drive.

If i leave the DVD out, boot up, sometimes the DVD drive does not eject.

When it does open i put my DVD in sometimes it makes those annoying repetative noises mentioned previously and i have to eject and retry.

Its obvious there is stress put on my hardware so please please give us a

NO CD PATCH

Cheers

I Have the same problem.

I have contact the securom support to help me. but each week the same question from securom: please send us a new securom analyse file!!!

sorry but i give up with the werry bad securom support. This is piss-take for buying customers!!!

Sorry for my bad english ;)

greeting bensdale

Edited by bensdale

you mean no DVD patch! and no they wont do that because it would make it easier for those who will ilegally download the game.

Has it occured to you that your DVD drive might not be up to it? what spec is your DVD drive?

and yes i am aware some people are having legit problems with securom.

Also note that your dvd drive must support DL media (dual layer). if it doesnt then that might explain the problem. You can find out if your drive supports such media by checking on your dvd drives manufactures website for your drives full specifications.

Edited by teaboy

Has it ever occured that your boot options might be set to boot on the DVD-drive first?

Go into BIOS and see if that's the case - I've never had a problem with securom or any other anti-piracy DVD protection.

i have a liteon ihas 322 and i disable boot from cdrom in the bios settings. But this has no effect. my rom sounds realy loud with the arma dvd. all othe dvd's works with no problems.

- no boot with arma dvd in the rom

- rom sounds realy loud

- only evry tenth starting attempt works for starting arma

My drive is also a Liteon (LH-18A1H ) and ..

"DVD read compliant: DVD single/dual layer (PTP/OTP), DVD-R(3.9GB/4.7GB), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW."

Did just check my Bios and after a recent bios update was on Floppy as first boot, maybe this will help but i have never had any problems like this with any other DVD

Hi all

If you do not want to use Securom, you should buy games with Steam or one of the other download formats.

Obviously we all want a form of security to prevent pirates and cheats.

I personaly find Securom to be the best DVD security package out at the moment. I hope more publishers use it.

Perhaps USB dongles are the best long term answer, they are droping in price so that they are becoming feasible for game security.

Kind regards walker

I'd imagine USB dongles would be piss easy to replicate.

You speak as if other protections are not breakable... Even if they're hard to break, all it takes is one man to figure it out.

USB dongles ARE easy to replicate. However, the hard part is replicating the keys programmed into the chip in the dongle! To put it shortly, it's simply not possible (unless you have a > $500,000 lab available for your personal use, just to (eventually) recreate a single usable dongle)

I would rather deal with Steam then SecuROM. It has it's issues, but destroying hardware is not among them.

I'd imagine USB dongles would be piss easy to replicate.

Hi all

In reply to ch_123 if this were true chip and pin would not be much use.

You could also put the whole program on to a memory card.

I think the only thing preventing USB dongle production is cost. With that almost halving year on year and BIS already protecting its VBS product with Aladdin HASP USB keys it may well be that ArmA 3 comes out with USB protection.

USB Dongles are clearly the future for preventing pirates and cheats.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

USB Dongles the future? My friend, Dongles have been around forever, and have been universally hated when used.

They are not the future.

I have seen USB dongle security beaten pretty easily with an emulator.

Hi all

In reply to -=seany=-

I quote my self from my previous post

Hi all

In reply to ch_123 if this were true chip and pin would not be much use...

If you can show me your emulator that beats chip and pin I know the police and banks would be very interested.

BIS already use the HASP keys to protect VBS and that has to be secure because the kind of people who want to hack that are the real deal; government funded type hackers with multi million dollar supercomputers or the whole Internet at their beck and call.

And in reply to draeath

USB Dongles the future? My friend, Dongles have been around forever, and have been universally hated when used.

They are not the future.

They are not universally hated. I prefer USB, ipso facto universally hated out the window. I will go with the proviso of universally hated by pirates and cheats though.

Since memory cards will almost certainly replace DVD since they are: not mechanical, more reliable and less likely to fail, smaller, faster, easier to produce and distribute, and more secure; USB dongle based security is inevitably the future.

On the matter of vilas post:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78287

there is already topic about it

Yes I agree vilas; the two threads should be merged but I think maybe the discussion of USB distribution and security may be better as a separate thread in suggestions.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
added reply to vilas's post