Sign in to follow this  
neojd[ny]

Artefacts and Graphic Bugs till crash Poll

I do have this graphic bugs and I use...  

93 members have voted

1. 1. I do have this graphic bugs and I use...

Ok so we might continue on this thread where i set up this little poll to see how many users got this problem and on wich OS.

Orginal Thread here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86599

May the other Thread will be closed by a mod so i post my old thread in here too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD THREAD POST:

So, i didnt played ArmA 2 for a while cause I thought its better to wait till all the patches are out. 1.04 is relased and Oh my ArmA 2 is cool and makes fun...

But! I dont know why but at night, or when its getting kinda dark (late afternoon) the game gets very laggy and i recive strange graphic bugs and artefacts. I tried making a screenshot but that didnt worked well so i decided to make a mobile vid and upload it on you tube.

However, the graphic bugs appeard the game goes laggy and then it crashs.

Its about after 5min gameplay and i changed my gc drivers from 190.38 to the newest. No change at all, I had this problem also with the 1.0 version of ArmA2 and its still not working.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnTW43i7qk&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnTW43i7qk&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maybe someone is able to help me.

I can play every other game (Crysis,BF2,CoH,RE5,DCS:BlackShark,WC3) fine for hours and hours.

My System:

ArmA 1.04

AMD 6400+

Nvidia 285GTX

Windows 7 Ultimate

8 GB RAM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that this will help to figure out where this heavy bugs comming from and on wich OS they appear, and may help the DEVs to patch it up.

UPDATE:

Its may related to the wrong Videomemory detection!

Try using not "Default" in settings!

Bushlurker has a theorie about this:

Low = 128mb

Normal = 256mb

High = 512mb

Very High = 1Gb ???

and Default = use the problematic Arma2 localVRAM detection procedure

Its not confirmed and he`s just guessing! But it seems to work good.

So if you got a graphic card with 512mb try setting the videomemory settings to "High" and see if it helps!

Thanks to Bushlurker

AND SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH GUYS

Edited by NeoJD[NY]

Exact same issue - first encountered with the arrival of patch 1.03 in August and reported HERE...

Seemed to settle for a bit - or maybe I just wasn't playing long enough to have it happen... (been a busy RL month so I've hardly played at all)...

Reappeared with a vengence in patch 1.04... (reported HERE and HERE...

It seems this is a common problem affecting a number of people... and it's been around for a while without being addressed, or even acknowledged by Devs as far as I'm aware.....

My rig - in case the info is handy...

8800GTS 320mb

AMD 6000+ @3.24Ghz

4GB ram

Win 7 RC x64

and... at the risk of "crossposting", (whatever precisely that is), the same info from a previous post...

My Arma2.rpt has about a million lines of this...

Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c

And my Arma2.cfg reports Ram like this...

localVRAM=1085931520;

nonlocalVRAM=1085931520;

Clearly not correct localVRAM there for a 320mb card!!

I've tried deleting the Arma2.cfg and letting it redetect - same figures...

Tried changing video memory option in-game from Default to Low, then deleting and redetecting - same figures again...

PS... Here's Telejunky in yet another thread - with a video.... ATI card, 4gb (not 8) of RAM and win XP - yet EXACTLY the same problem...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

For those using 32bit Windows XP, Do the problems go away with the -winxp switch?

Same exact same thing happened to me. So they havent fixed the other two types of crashes i get (normal CTD and CTD with game still running in background...), and they have actually introduced a new one with this patch!!

I am getting sick and tired of this. It has become beyond an incovinience and is totally wrecking the gameplay now as these crashes have a really big impact when your playing something like warfare.

And btw i am using the -winxp bs which does absolutely nothing for me.

Vista x64

i7 920

6GB Ram

GTX 285

Isnt this the kind of stuff that should be ironed out in the Alpha testing??

So far the original version of the game is just about the best for me, each patch introduces more problems without fixing the old...

Problem being that no one reported this issue with the beta. It seems to be only happening under 64 bit OS, except for the 3 mentioning it happening under XP but need more details from those people.

I've tested under XP 32bit, Win 7 32bit and Win 7 64bit and haven't been able to replicate the issue so still not sure what the cause is.

E7300 @ 3.5Ghz

Asus 9800 GT

Asus P5K/EPU

4GB Gingle Ram

X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Problem being that no one reported this issue with the beta. It seems to be only happening under 64 bit OS, except for the 3 mentioning it happening under XP but need more details from those people.

I've tested under XP 32bit, Win 7 32bit and Win 7 64bit and haven't been able to replicate the issue so still not sure what the cause is.

E7300 @ 3.5Ghz

Asus 9800 GT

Asus P5K/EPU

4GB Gingle Ram

X-Fi ExtremeGamer

This issue is new for me since the 1.04 patch.

The other 'normal' crash to destop is much more common for me.

;1441094']

My System:

ArmA 1.04

AMD 6400+

Nvidia 285GTX

Windows 7 Ultimate

8 GB RAM

I only have 4gb ram' date=' but I've never seen what you are seeing in ArmA 2, though I seen it with my old 8800GTX playing ArmA 1, until drivers 17*.**. Edit: (Vista 64bit Ultimate)

I'm using 190.62whql atm. Also using W7 64bit? [s']You didn't specify your OS?[/s] ahh, a who voted what poll.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

When it starts artifacting....press and hold left shift then Numpad minus together...release then type in flush. This flushes the video memory and it's a trick since the original OFP.

Edited by Cogar69

When it starts artifacting....press and hold left shift then Numpad minus together...release then type in flush. This flushes the video memory and it's a trick since the original OFP.

works, but i have to do it every 30 seconds or so...

And sometimes iam not so fast in typing (cause the enemy is shooting at me) and the game crashes before i even come tu "flu" ^^

I think its very important that this issue will be fixed. Cause many ppl staying away from this game because of it, and this is not the only thread about it in the internet.

BIS can be very happy that the ArmA comunity is so patient and friendly.

When it starts artifacting....press and hold left shift then Numpad minus together...release then type in flush.

Can those keys be reassigned??? - I have a DiNovo Edge KB - I don't have a numberpad...

It also seems like a bit of a tricky manoeuvre to perform while under fire, or even driving or flying.....

B

Can those keys be reassigned??? - I have a DiNovo Edge KB - I don't have a numberpad...

It also seems like a bit of a tricky manoeuvre to perform while under fire, or even driving or flying.....

B

I'm sure these keys are assigned in the game files somewhere. Although knowing FADE it'd probably think you are cracking the game if you were to change even that file.

Having the same CTD problem. I have tried everything I can think of. Changing my localVRAM and nonlocalvRAM to match GPU card mem (less 10%)

Window7 64bit

Corei7 920 (hyperthreading disabled)

2x 8800GTX SLI

Raid0 SSD's

FPS is normally 60

Well, i did a trick with my Logitech G15, I assigned SHIFT MINUS F L U S H to 1 of the G-Hotkeys. Thats pretty cool when iam at Utes, cause then it works again for a while, but in Tchernarussia i must press it every 20 sec to play fine... and thats not soo coool :D

I wonder that BIS is not responding to this thread, or even saying anything...

To the Poll:

Well, 22 Votes by now and on every regular OS. We are not alone guys.

I mean i think that only about 30% with this problem going to register here and vote... so 22 is a high result by now.

Edited by NeoJD[NY]

Yes im sure they are too busy making arrowhead realising that this game is seriously flawed and practically admitting it in a video introducing their new expansion(limitations with arma 2...as i remember the guy saying...hmmmm)...im actually pretty sick and tired of this game...also experiencing all of the crashes here and the arma exe staying open even though the game has crashed(in task manager) never known so many problems and if i didnt love arma so much i really would not bother.... Just very very disappointed as im sure a lot of others are....... i was even stupid enough to upgrade my pc just so i would not experience any problems ...as my last rig which according to recomended specs on the box should have been more than adequate to run it FAILED MISERABLY. Maybe we should have a vote on how many of us have purchased new gear(new gfx etc) for our pc's just to run this one game??? Im not looking for an answer to my problems because i know there isnt an actaul explanation to fix any of our problems...it more workarounds shortcuts and theories...i guess i will carry on playing this untill i get fed up and use the disk as a coaster for my tea and coffee.... :)

Thanks a lot Bohemia....

They devs need to be able to recreate it so they know what needs fixed...if they can't then it's more than likely specific to peoples setups

It would really help if people would post system specs, what mission(s) the problems happen on, can it be recreated easily, drivers, etc. Just coming here to say "I have a problem fix it!!!!" doesn't really help much

Also report problems the community bug tracker. If you think BIS can go thru and read every single thread here then sorry, but you're wasting your time. With the bug tracker it's all condensed and organized and easily seen

It would really help if people would post system specs, what mission(s) the problems happen on, can it be recreated easily...

A quick glance thru this thread, its predecessor, and the one before that (but not the enormous ATI sticky where there's plenty of similar reports) the following seems a fair summary.....

PROBLEM - See multiple posted videos... Triangualr grey/white artifacts, texture flashing and breakup leading to a crash

OS AFFECTED - ALL (Except XP 64 so far)

GRAPHICS CARDS - HD4850, GTX285, GTX 295, 8800GTS, 8800GTX, 8400M, 9600GT

RAM - 4gb, 6gb, 8gb

(of course - not all reports of the issue included specs, so the range is probably wider)

what mission(s) the problems happen on, can it be recreated easily

Going into the editor, placing a unit, hitting preview and going to make a quick cup of coffee is usually enough to induce it for me.... sometimes I get to drive about a bit first... 5-45minutes till onset usually, and I've had it happen on Chernarus, Utes, Sahrani and Avgani - so far...

drivers, etc

I've tried 'em all, as has everyone else, I suspect.....

Also report problems the community bug tracker.

I'm not exactly stupid, but I can't for the life of me even figure out how that works...

They devs need to be able to recreate it so they know what needs fixed

I'm pretty sure the announcement that preceded the last couple of months of mouse tweaking betas included the line "even though we haven't been able to reproduce the problem ourselves..."

B

Anyone else want to post specs? or know how to work the bugtracker???

Edited by Bushlurker

Mines fairly random but the clincher is flying with a view distance of 3k [set via status in mousewheel menu ingame] ,all settings on high, PP off AA normal AF normal 1920*1200. Guaranteed crash if I fly anywhere near a town or city but not limited to that criteria. It just takes a little longer otherwise.

vista 64 utimate

295gtx

i7

ran smooth w/ beta, but 1.04 introduced this for me. i have tried EVERYthing including reinstall. its not in the changelog but there appears to have been a change that affects aa. with aa off, i do not get the artifacts leading directly to crash. with it on, even on low i do. other settings do not appear affected. still get the program closing from time to time but just ran several hours by just turning aa off. your mileage may vary (and probably mine as well the next time i start arma2)! still am not clear about dif between default and very high vram setting, only opinions and statement from bi concerning arma1. anyone found the official word on this setting for arma2? hope this helps someone. specs:

vista x64

12gb ram

gtx 280 1gb ram

driver 182.5 (ive tried them all including 191 beta, these are only useable ones for me)

Tried a bit of testing. Default settings [1500m view distance ] same effect crash while flying.

AA up to high , black vehicles and bots [they look like covert ops guys from movies]

Also flashing purple chequer pattern on heli's. Flush tweak resets this back to normal textures.

AA back to normal and flying = crash.

I wont be typing flush every 5 mins before anyone suggests it!

Is the video buffer overflowing trying to draw to much world detail? [can/does it even do that?]

Pre 1.04 using last beta I was rock steady. I've changed nothing apart from patching up. Now i'm back to messing with settings instead of enjoying arma2.

your post reminded me that yesterday i saw light purple backpacks, hands and turrets on vehicles while all other colors were normal. gpu temps low, so its not that. im all out of ideas.

Just wondering... how's everybodys Vram detection in Arma2.cfg compared to actual???

Mine's...

localVRAM=1085931520;

nonlocalVRAM=1085931520;

(tried deleting and letting it redetect - same figures... in-game memory setting makes no difference to figures detected either)

With a 320mb card localVram is obviously wrong for me (4gb RAM and Win 7x64)

B

Edited by Bushlurker