Sign in to follow this  
DJH

Textures go white, flicker, then CTD

Everytime I enter a built up area or an area with a lot of AIs the ground and building textures turn white and flicker on and off incessantly. It doesn't effect the interface [ie. its in the background when I raise the pause menu] but lasts between 5-30seconds before CTD.

Anybody else get this? Anybody gotten around it?

It happens on 1.02 and 1.03 [only started when I installed 1.03, but now keeps happening without it]. It also happens with both 186.18 drivers and the 190.38 new drivers. That leaves me with basically no idea what's causing it!

Vista 64bit

9600GT

4GB RAM

AMD 7850 BE @3.0ghz

its a very common bug.... especially if you have a Core i7 and an nvidia 200 series graphic card.

I've had the same issue since patch 1.03...

It looks like G-card overheating, but it isn't... nor is it CPU overload, RAM, extraneous addons, mods, my OS, defrag, my bios or the guy next doors bios...

It's got me stumped so far... crazy white textures an flicker - chugs badly for a minute and bam! - crash to desktop with a fault in "arma.exe"

...VERY occasionally I can get away with playing for around an hour - usally more like 30 mins... Which is a pity, cause while it's working I suspect its slightly better!

B

PS.... AMD X2 6000+ and Nvidia 8800GTS (no OC on either)

Edited by Bushlurker

[Kinda] glad to know its not just me!

I really can't get my head around why it only started after I got 1.03, but persists even on a fresh install of the drivers, game and patch 1.02.

Might try a system restore to pre-1.03 and see if it happens on that

Edit: Or maybe I won't because all my restore points are auto-created ones from today as I reinstalled all my drivers. Brilliant

Edited by DJH
update

I posted about this sort of thing recently after the 1.03 patch, and thought I had it sorted out by simply turning Physx off (left it on from another game by mistake). Sadly, this was not the fix I was looking for and the problem remains.

Played the campaign a bit last night and had the textures get weird on me as described above, it was getting to the point that it would have crashed shortly so I went into the options and fiddled with thing. I found turning off the post processing made the issue go away and everything looked normal again, but my frame rate was in the single digits. I then turned AA on, then off and bumped my 3d res up, then back down to my regular setting. This had the effect of making the screen go blank while the new settings took effect and when I resumed playing the problem was gone. Textures were fine and frame rate was fine, as usual. After a further 15min however, I had a CTD.

Definitely something up with 1.03, this didn't happen in 1.02 at all.

Tried installing Windows 7, and a fresh install of drivers and Arma to 1.03. Still happening...

same here! i play for half an houre then crash. frame rate goes down to 2-4 fps

q6700 today @stock

gf8800gts 320mb (textures to low/mid all playable)

4gb ram (tested)

win xp 32 sp3 (new install for ARMA2)

NVdriver 182.50 (tried all the others)

tacens 720W PSU

CPU temperature all fine never higher then 51C

GPU temperature all fine idle 46C/load 61C

Gamesettings all Medium/AA off/viewdistance 2500

no postFX