Sign in to follow this  
nukey

adding mods to arma 2

trying to install these mods,is in short an utter nightmare.surely a game based on its mod fan base,should make these easier for people to install/play.after all,were not all brilliant on computers,and if people struggle to install them,its you,who lose out in the end.

its a valid point im trying to make,and also in my rage and frustration,at having to add various @folders in my arma 2 game,as well as the icon etc,surely by now there must be an easier way to do it,from the game menu would be ideal,can't the makers do any thing about this,wot about all you great programmers out there building these ace mods,the game could be opened up to alot more people,if it was made a little easier.(rant/rage over)

You can add only 1 addon folder if you want and put all addons in there. The @folders give you a chance to choose what addons you want to run separatly. And with the use of a launcher this is a piece of cake mate. Dont give up. ;)

EDIT: So if you download addons that you will use all together just make 1 folder @MODS and always send them in there. Then you dont have to change your shortcut either.

EDIT2: Would an in-game solution be best? Probably. Just send all addons to a dedicated folder made by BIS, and then in-game there would be an addon options window that shows the addons wich we could tick for wich we want to use.

Edited by Alex72

im with you,we need also an in-box editor's manual,i will pay it as "extra"

im with you,we need also an in-box editor's manual,i will pay it as "extra"

You have Mr.Murrays editor guide for now yes? ARMA2 version will come, but that first version works perfect with ARMA2. Only some new things are left out like the modules. But most info is easy to get by through this forum (editor section) and armaholic forum plus others. Then you just copy/paste command lines etc to notepad where you can organize them as you go or straight into the editor while your creating.

Learning the editors full capacity takes a long time and it holds so much that you have to learn it in small steps. Sometimes it feels like you make light year steps though when you learn something really useful and cool. But this is how i learnt it. Searching, asking, murrays guide and just copy/pasting lines and commands from whatever source i could get them from.

When your started somewhat and have some missions saved (not talking about complete missions - but small examples you made) you can merge them or open one of them up and copy triggers/units etc and paste into the new one your making so your recycling a lot of stuff you already made. Its a bit of a ride to learn the editor, but in fact this is the only editor ive learned things so fast in. Others have been far more complicated. This one is easy to get started in thanks to all the info on these sites i mentioned and Mr.Murray's guide to name a tiny bit of sources. Plus you can open up other missions and see how theyve done it, and ofcourse by playing around in the editor itself.

Anyway went offtopic here, but dont give up guys! Youll appreciate the game so much more when you get warm after a while. Just keep at it. ;)

I have normally one mod folder called @stuff I throw everything in that one, as I put addons in one at a time if something stops working I know I have to go back and remove the most recent addon.

It's not that hard, but I also have 2/3 other shortcuts with different mod folders depending on which server I want to join.

Southy

edit... not sure why I forgot this, but you can also use one of the many Arma2 Launchers, I think of all those offer the ability to pick and choose the mods you want to run, that might be the best option for you mate.

Edited by Eble

Mod folders are so hard... I can't:

1. Create a folder and another one inside it

2. Move a file(s) inside them

3. Type -mod=@mods on the end of the target line in my arma2 shortcut

or

Move files into the addons folder.

im not saying i cant,as i have been adding mod folders since getting the game,im just saying that a percentage of people wont bother,and are therefore missing out,on wot is one of the major factors,of arma2.you would of thought by now,that bis/3rd party would of found a better/easier system,so you click on the mod required and it auto installs,into the relevant folder/s.then an in-game menu would allow you to turn them on/off at your choosing.just having to create folders in folders,change start-up icons,will put people of doing it.the other thing was when trying to connect to an online game,and it saying you cant as you have mod folders active,surely it would be better,if it just disables the folders and then reconnects you,or the other way round,if you needed a certain mod,it would offer to install them,before reconnecting you.

you may have a complete war simulator at your hands,but your sounds differ from the ones we have,so you cant play?!?!?:confused:

these things put people of playing the game,and the more popular it is,the better supported it is.

im just saying that a percentage of people wont bother,and are therefore missing out,on wot is one of the major factors,of arma2.

I usually don't roll like dat yo but in the case of Arma I will say dis brah:

People that won't bother, don't deserve it.

im not saying i cant,as i have been adding mod folders since getting the game,im just saying that a percentage of people wont bother,and are therefore missing out,on wot is one of the major factors,of arma2.you would of thought by now,that bis/3rd party would of found a better/easier system,so you click on the mod required and it auto installs,into the relevant folder/s.

That depends on the mod/addon maker. Some bigger mods for instance in ArmA1, came with installers, that would do exactly that - install it for you in a folder, create a shortcut for you etc...

then an in-game menu would allow you to turn them on/off at your choosing.

That is impossible without having to reset your game = the .pbos needs to be loaded by the game on start. So even with a menu from the game, you would need to reset A2.exe to get it to work.

just having to create folders in folders,change start-up icons,will put people of doing it.the other thing was when trying to connect to an online game,and it saying you cant as you have mod folders active,surely it would be better,if it just disables the folders and then reconnects you,or the other way round,if you needed a certain mod,it would offer to install them,before reconnecting you.

Yeah, overall would be easier and more user friendly.

Even as it is, you don't need to be a computer savy to get it to work from the first time, especially if you really want, as there are plenty of post, threads and small tuts to teach you how to.

you may have a complete war simulator at your hands,but your sounds differ from the ones we have,so you cant play?!?!?:confused

Not sure what you mean here

PS: learn to post using some punctuation, some Capital Letters, spaces etc. The above is very hard to read

you may have a complete war simulator at your hands,but your sounds differ from the ones we have,so you cant play?!?!?

Yeah if a server doesnt allow addons then im afraid you will not be let on. This is why its good to join servers you know allow addons or even better: join a team/gaming group. The latter doesnt require you to be on every night but when you feel for it. You will get most out of ARMA that way. I think people that get put off for this reason just isnt putting an effort in understanding or learning about the community. If i knew i had a great game in my hands and servers didnt let me go on because of addons then i would search like a madman for like minded people to play with instead of just give up and cry (generally speaking).

After all you'll get all the help and info you need when you come on ARMA's official forum (this) so its only up to the player in the end if he want to get a great experience with ARMA or not.

EDIT: One has to see the power in being able to allow and disallow addons as well. What if everyone with any type of addon could connect? What a mess. Not that it isnt doable though. Its all up to server admins.

Alex

I know I'm having a bit of a bitch about it,but there are many online games that allow you change skins and sounds,without the hassle that arma gives you. These things do put people off,from using MODS and playng online.

However I'm not one of them, personally online sucks!! but the MODS they are truly great. Keep up the great work guys!!

P.S IHOPEMEUSINGCAPITALSANDSPACESMAKESITEASYTOREADPUFU:D

No no mate online does not suck. :) It sounds like you havent had a good time there yet thats all. Online when it all clicks (its harder to get this to happen in ARMA than other games) you'll have an amazing time. Last night i played with 2 guys i didnt know before yesterday. We did a mission together and within 20 minutes we understood that we all like to play the game in the same way so we had tons of fun.

SP editor is amazingly fun in ARMA2, but online with a bunch of good friends/people doing some exciting mission is to date for me unbeatable. No game comes close to the feeling.

Just hang in there. Check the boards for people that post about game nights and join there. Best case scenario you make new friends and do cool missions over and over. And with friends you can test all addons you want without any muppet saying no to you. ;)

Alex