Sign in to follow this  
trooper117

The 'end'..

Finished the campaign.. enjoyed many parts of it thinking, 'this is just so damn good'..

Then I entered semi 'rts' mode with base building etc and my enthusiasm started to wane slightly.

The end when it came was not how I expected or imagined. Nor was the campaign length anywhere near my expectations either, which was a shame.

The scope and potential for bigger and better things campaign wise I believe is there however, hopefully there will be more to come on that front.. :)

Finished the campaign.. enjoyed many parts of it thinking, 'this is just so damn good'..

Then I entered semi 'rts' mode with base building etc and my enthusiasm started to wane slightly.

The end when it came was not how I expected or imagined. Nor was the campaign length anywhere near my expectations either, which was a shame.

The scope and potential for bigger and better things campaign wise I believe is there however, hopefully there will be more to come on that front.. :)

Totally agree with you, Manhatten was the best part of the Campaign for me personally - it just got a bit silly after that, Especially with Dogs of War.

The RTS, Base building element is a nice idea but - my god

It is SO ropey and some what unmanagable as it stands, also its a bit too gamey for the SP campaign.

To do it properly they need:

A Proper base building interface, and option to play a virtual comander

with the ability to jump in to the shoes of a unit (not visa versa)

The command menus need a MASSIVE over haul in general.

Base Defences are build as empty while Vehicles are as built as manned -that's really backwards! it should be the outher way around.

They really need To do something about Supply trucks & vehicles path finding to prevent them running down your squad down every few minutes.

Just make friendlies invunerable to being crushed by units on the same side - or soemthing like that.

I say If your going to go down the RTS road, do it properly, or dont bother. It a very nice idea but it needs alot more work.

Edited by v11cu96

I have also made it to DoW. But the thing is... the game gets whole too complex now.

I undrestand, that the developers wanted to give players more freedom, but somehow it all doesn't add up. It all feels somehow so... bulky.

You have to mess around with building the base, buying units, weapons etc.

I was hoping more fun missions like in ArmA and OpF.

I really think that the game is absolutely not worth the money it's asked for :(

Mmm.. I still believe I have bought an absolutely awesome game here, but it still requires lots of tweaking and polish..

I agree with the comments about Manhatten.. up to that point, despite the bugs I was really enjoying the campaign and felt fully immersed and involved, and loved the scope of my taskings and choices as I progressed.. but after that, it just became a bit of a slogging match to get through the base building and management side. I really kept hoping it would revert to me and the team going back to what the game does best, making me feel I'm really part of what is going on.. but on reflection, the rts part of the game just spoilt the enjoyment I was having and then I never regained it!

If anyone from the development team ends up reading this post, please, please can we have future campaigns or addons that concentrate on the first person perspective and not the rts style fiasco that we now have.. I suspect I'm not alone in this view :)

Despite my quibblings, I still have to say that I do love this game..

I disagree on the RTS bit...of course, Arma2 needs serious patching overall but I like the concept. There is room for both I think

I'm just now in the middle of Dogs of War and I'm having a blast being able to select villages that I want taken. Yesterday I attempted a night assault on Chernogorsk with a mechanized company that I finally managed to build and organized. They got slaughtered because of the lack of NVG, but it's so cinematic to whimper in the dark as a sole survivor, watching the fireballs as the ammo in your precious destroyed BMP-2s cooks off. You can't reproduce that in Modern Warfare...

I'm a good way into DOW and I really like most aspects of this game including the RTS parts and the degree of freedom I have to play how I want, but it does need some serious fixing.

IMPORTANT! BI PLEASE give us a proper manual that documents ALL the games features and controls.

I'm sort of groping in the dark picking up bits of information here and there from this forums' members. Information that should and could be documented in a manual.

This game absolutely needs a full manaul otherwise many of it's advanced features will end up being wasted on most players. After all, you can't use something that you don't know exists.

Without this game forum, I probably would have given up ages ago.

BI. It would be nice to hear from you from time to time so we know that you actually read what is being said.

Cheers,

Luke.

LukeB, They DO read. They DO comment, just because you may not see one, you can be fairly certain it's noticed. I can't imagine the massive manual full representation of this game would create. Would be nice though.

OK, maybe not the whole manual but at least a Flow Chart of Menues and functions would be enough to help us find our way around.

Cheers,

Luke.

Totally agree with you, Manhatten was the best part of the Campaign for me personally - it just got a bit silly after that, Especially with Dogs of War.

The RTS, Base building element is a nice idea but - my god

It is SO ropey and some what unmanagable as it stands, also its a bit too gamey for the SP campaign.

To do it properly they need:

A Proper base building interface, and option to play a virtual comander

with the ability to jump in to the shoes of a unit (not visa versa)

The command menus need a MASSIVE over haul in general.

Base Defences are build as empty while Vehicles are as built as manned -that's really backwards! it should be the outher way around.

Agreed! In the ArmA 1.14 game, Warfare gave you the option of buying Vehicles empty, there is no such option in ArmA 2. I wind up kicking the driver out and driving myself.

Yeah similar feelings here...finished campaign and thought "is thats it?"

Did not have ability to try 80% of vehicles available in the game, no normal choppers, jets, ships, even tanks from enemy side, etc,etc....Was like "demo"

Don't know what to do next...play scenarios or what?

Just finished it!

I must say I have a bitter-sweet feeling....

For once most of the missions are bugged and are pretty crappy because of that.... but to be honest, on my 2nd play (never had to restart more than 2 times), all missions are pretty entertaining when they are bug free!

DOW, Bitter Chill and Manatten are glorious missions when every thing works as it should!

Especially DOW... on my 2nd run, everything went for the best...

I don't really care for the RTS elements of the last couple of missions. If I wanted to play an RTS game..........I'd buy one.

v11cu96------------excellent comments, Bro! You hit the nail on the head! Thanks for saying it for all of us who agree.

the mission after manhatten is where it went south. i was expecting an after montingac style mission but instead it was a "follow him for 15 minutes, then get in a car". then the rts crap. were a recon team. i want to be a force mulitplier and do guerilla warfare hit and runs with indigineous forces.

Don't know what to do next...play scenarios or what?

Maybe start to play the user made missions, learn the editor, test out all the addons, join a team and go MP?

Usually you do a mix of all mentioned above. Go join a team of like minded and play freshly made missions with the use of new addons. This game doesnt get any better than that. The campaign and the scenarios are there to show you the game - after that the real game starts. ;)

Link to user made missions: MISSIONS

Link to user made addons: ADDONS & MODS

Link to ARMA2 news (fresh news everyday about missions and addons etc): ARMAHOLIC.COM

Have fun!

Alex

I must be strange didn't even get through boot camp, dived straight into MP.

Does anybody know how to beat the Dogs of War part in the campaign? I tried to get to each city fast enough. Do I have to complete the tasks and blow up the Russian and Chec base too? I finished the level and failed. Then it gave me one more level. This was where I had to meet my extraction point. I hope that if I go back and beat it, it will fix the storyline.

Any help would be much appreciated.

KLIQMETHOD

Maybe start to play the user made missions, learn the editor, test out all the addons, join a team and go MP?

Usually you do a mix of all mentioned above. Go join a team of like minded and play freshly made missions with the use of new addons. This game doesnt get any better than that. The campaign and the scenarios are there to show you the game - after that the real game starts. ;)

Link to user made missions: MISSIONS

Link to user made addons: ADDONS & MODS

Link to ARMA2 news (fresh news everyday about missions and addons etc): ARMAHOLIC.COM

Have fun!

Alex

Thanks Alex, i will try those things :ok:

Having completed the whole thing and well, wev'e done that to death already, does anyone know, or has anyone heard of the developers intending to either continue the campaign theme, or start a brand new one.. Currently I'm enjoying 'Chesty Pullers' campaign, but do we have anything from 'official channels' in the pipeline?

and I'm not counting whats coming up with Op Arrowhead..

Cheers in advance. Dave S

Having completed the whole thing and well, wev'e done that to death already, does anyone know, or has anyone heard of the developers intending to either continue the campaign theme, or start a brand new one.. Currently I'm enjoying 'Chesty Pullers' campaign, but do we have anything from 'official channels' in the pipeline?

and I'm not counting whats coming up with Op Arrowhead..

Cheers in advance. Dave S

Next official release will be the Operation Arrowhead extension, it's currently WIP and will be released as a stand alone. There is a thread dealing with that.

Cheers

nettrucker:D

I already mentioned the Op Arrow head thing.. I was thinking more of anything to be included in a forth coming patch etc..