Sign in to follow this  
gonza

VTS3 - Live Multiplayer coop mission editor

Gonza =) I guess he was talking about RTE.

kju =) First of all, VTS (originally made by one person, me) is only one concept (VTS, VTS2, VTS3 (Gonza in charge)). Editing missions in real time, with pre-modules loading capacities.

After, you have a complementary project, VTS : Fight Extension, which tends to offer a different and complementary experience, with some similar tools and the core concept of VTS.

:)

In a videogame community, every one is free, and (sadly, maybe), there is sometimes no "natural working" connections between the members, so some projects, sometimes, could seem similar. But with a closer look, you'll see that their features are quite different (for example, RTE purpose -correct me if i'm wrong - is to make live the bis editor. VTS is much more "real time mission" paced, with its pre-modules).

Your idea of gathering is good in theory, but as you know as developper (I followed your own projects -excellent work by the way! -) methods and core code can be very different, and often totally unadapted to each other.

Edited by Grimm

yes ionos make an excellent work with RTE (it is an excellent coder)

and it would be excellent to work with him

but RTE is really different than VTS, it is not in real time like in VTS ? (role play game, players connected)

In VTS players are connected on the server when the master create the mission

and like said Grimm , VTS is not just an editor.

there are a lot of shortcuts to help the game master to create a good mission the most quickly as possible

Edited by gonza

Don't get me wrong. To work alone or a small team has many benefits too.

Also you are very correct that to merge all these three project at this point is a huge

challenge, if it makes sense at all. Yet having a close look and doing some considerations

might be worth it.

As I am no mission builder myself, I am not using either of your tools. Just testing them

a bit from time to time.

That said from what I know Sickboy and 6thSense have been using RTE, along with

DAC, for MP to have a live game master mode.

This is also what your two projects are aiming for from what I understand.

One benefit of RTE is to save missions at any point - which could be very useful for

your projects as well.

If you take also the 3DE team's 3d editor into account, the community have made

very amazing tools to create and modify a worlds and missions in real time and MP!

@kju RTE could be used in game master mod ! (I will try it, the placement system )

I am selfish I am working on VTS3 for me and then gives it to the community

I love this game system because I do not need to distinguish between good and bad missions from the community or waiting mission for new maps or to use a particular mod

if someone takes a VTS better than mine I would use it without any problem or if someone wants to help me improve it no problem I'm totally open

little bug found !!!

don't use buttons place and place & exit in the 3D mod for mini mission and freecamera

use these buttons only for the units or objects placement (I will hide these buttons in next version)

ces bouttons

Edited by gonza

I've just tested the new version. I think you should give weapons to the game master when the mission starts, and give him night vision.

I started a mission at night, alone (so, as scheduled, some AI spawned with me to help), and i descovered :eek: that I didn't have nv, nor weapons. Big surprise :D

it is not a probleme ;)

but you have a weapon box at the start

Edited by gonza

You can take google and NVG in the box at the start like gonza say it.

First take your equipement and after teleport add the ia and start the mission.

Slayertom =) Thx, i know that :) My last post was just an advice for a more "go and play" game.

Edited by Grimm

Hi gonza, I was just wondering if it was possible to make the interface usable also when the master is inside a vehicle. It something that could come very handy sometimes to add a little "surprise" during trips from a place to the other or to add the last touches before to arrive to the mission objective.

Hello

I will work for that (I want this function too ;) )

for the moment I am working on the optimisation of all scripts (improve stability and prevent scripts conflicts)

I will let acces to the console when master is inconsious too

thanks for reply

Edited by gonza

@urbano : Ordinateur in vehicle in vehicle work but I have some cameras problems so it's not implemented for now

oh, ok. I can wait :)

As I am no mission builder myself, I am not using either of your tools. Just testing them

a bit from time to time.

That said from what I know Sickboy and 6thSense have been using RTE, along with

DAC, for MP to have a live game master mode.

This is also what your two projects are aiming for from what I understand.

Currently i develop the missions for 6thsense. Sometimes with some help from Sickboy.

At the moment we use MCC (written by me). Its also capable of making missions on the fly. In the (old) days we used DAC indeed and also some RTE to finish it. That is still the case with MCC. MCC stands for mission control centre. Its capable of spawning everything possible in your config files and link it to zones. That together gives endless mission possibilties. Its a bit more complex then i describe here now but just important is: its can spawn anything and makes that spawn link to zones. That units will then patrol that zones and react there. Zones can be resized, moved, removed and the units will act by that. Hence the name control centre.

I have been thinking myself about RTE integration also. Not that i have any contacts there or have taken any steps.

Currently i am developping for MCC zonemanager together with group FSM's to get rid of the direct scripts that are used that the moment. The zone manager is 80% finish and for undertanding has functionality that can be best compared to DAC but differ in quite some stuff.

MCC is capable of fully "saving" its requests (spawn requests) and can rebuild the whole mission by simple pressing load. It makes use of the clipboard to save/load.

To make this visible for the public i am considering making it public simple to see if more people have interest to help develop.

Anyway i would not mind help/get helpl and that also counts for VTS, RTE and even DAC. So if any of those guys or others has interest, please be my guest and talk to me :P It might simple be interesting to see if there is stuff we are simple better of working together instead of solo.

Edited by spirit6

In fact, I'm not really sure this topic is the place for this kind of discussion. Looks like some quite weird advertising for your stuff on someone else's job. Strange way to offer help to Gonza.

If I understand well what he's intending to do, he just wants to have fun, to work on a concept he likes, not precisely to be part of a team (if it is what you were proposing) or whatever. And he already made a good job at it. Team development and "solo" developement are quite different (I make both of them). I think we should respect these two ways of providing users good missions, and the idea that programming can be a game also.

@Spirit6

Well, if you can help me to add a placement system like RTE in VTS , you are welcome ;-) , it would be amazing

it would be a pleasure to check you work

I have request for Help to RTE or FarmWar creators but no response for the moment

Edited by gonza

*Checked mails*

*Checked PMs*

There was only one request in my thread, but screenToWorld solves this problem very easily since it returns the world position. The rest is simple math:

Getting the difference between the old and the new position and you have the movement of the object.

The only really different thing is the object selection. But this is not required for simple placement, and this is one of the three scripts which are slowing down the RTE.

In fact, I'm not really sure this topic is the place for this kind of discussion. Looks like some quite weird advertising for your stuff on someone else's job. Strange way to offer help to Gonza.

If I understand well what he's intending to do, he just wants to have fun, to work on a concept he likes, not precisely to be part of a team (if it is what you were proposing) or whatever. And he already made a good job at it. Team development and "solo" developement are quite different (I make both of them). I think we should respect these two ways of providing users good missions, and the idea that programming can be a game also.

lol its not advertising mate. I dont get paid here:D Also i work solo and for fun :) Work i do at work. Anyway, we are in the same area so bit talk about what i do seems in place here.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

@Spirit6

Well, if you can help me to add a placement system like RTE in VTS , you are welcome ;-) , it would be amazing

it would be a pleasure to check you work

I have request for Help to RTE or FarmWar creators but no response for the moment

Rogerito man, i go pm you so you can skype me ok?

Hello,

@Ionos

yes I tell you for some help in your thread a long time ago but it is not a problem , I can understand that you have no time for that

you do not have a sample script of your 3D placement system (with the mouse like in RTE)

just a script with 2 variables at the start to said where the camera start and what is the name of the vehicle to place

it would be a dream to add it in VTS

@Spirit6

I 'm waiting for your PM , but don't have Skype , just MSN or ICQ

How can I spawn a squad that is following my orders from the comunication menu? Like "regroup" - "follow my stance" etc.

so easy

How to force a unit to join the master squad

go in editor mod

just create a man and name it unitOne for exemple

create a other man and name it unitTwo

after that put this command line

[unitOne, unitTwo] join joueur1

(joueur1 is the master (you))

(joueur2 is the alpha team leader)

join.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

new version

Co25_VTS3_LiveEditor_Alpha8c.Chernarus.pbo

- Master Computer available in vehicles

- players units changed

Edited by gonza

Thank you so much for that detailed answer. You are french and i'm german and we talk english and you make your point clear. That's great!

Does this also work when the gamemaster puts an opfor squad on himself?

Regards and please keep up the good work. There are people around who are really appreciating your work.

you do not have a sample script of your 3D placement system (with the mouse like in RTE)

just a script with 2 variables at the start to said where the camera start and what is the name of the vehicle to place

*err* No :o My script is a little more complicated ;)

@ Gladius:

It would work, but they will join the side of the game master.

Just an idea:

It would be an interesting feature when the gamemaster could lead a group of enemys while he is invisible and invincible. The players are bluefor and the gamemaster is opfor and commands the opfor with the communication menu. That would be an awesome tool. Maybe you can integrate something like that in future versions.

Regards