Sign in to follow this  
chronicbucks

any word on a new patch to fix the i7/windows 7 problem?

any word on when BIS is coming out with a new patch to fix all of the MANY problems with this game?

What i7/win7 problem .... the game works WONDERFULLY on this setup.

hmmmmm....i get HUGE dips in fps, causing chopped up and stuttered gameplay, and im def not the first to experience this

some reccommend running only 2 cores instead of all 4, turning HT off, all kinds of things, ill be rocking at like 40 fps, then drop down to 17 for a few seconds, than back up, major spikes

im on a gtx 275

i7 920 @3.8

6 gb of 7-7-7-24 1600 ram

1080p 23" 1920X1080

what settings do you use?

resolution?

setup?

Edited by chronicbucks

Win 7 is only in Release Candidate status and according to MS won't be retail gold until October 22, 2009.

I've seen many, many missions in ArmA 1 that caused dips in FPS to the point of stuttering so I'm not sure this is anything new. I do know that counting frames is a major distaction for me and has a significant impact on performance so I never do it outside of test and tune mode. For gaming it's never, ever running and I judge performance entirely by my experience and am a happier guy for it.

Win 7 is only in Release Candidate status and according to MS won't be retail gold until October 22, 2009.

I've seen many, many missions in ArmA 1 that caused dips in FPS to the point of stuttering so I'm not sure this is anything new. I do know that counting frames is a major distaction for me and has a significant impact on performance so I never do it outside of test and tune mode. For gaming it's never, ever running and I judge performance entirely by my experience and am a happier guy for it.

Indeed, you have no expectation of support for Win 7. It is not supported on the A2 box and is not released. You use it at your own risk.

This thread should be locked.

Eth

Very true, might work well but its not an officially released O/S yet so they wont support it, pretty obvious really.

If you're expecting a patch to magically increase the performance, I think you're going to be rather disappointed. Sure, it might make things better by 5% or so, but I'd bet money that it's going to be barely noticeable. Still, would love BIS to prove me wrong on this one!

If you're expecting a patch to magically increase the performance, I think you're going to be rather disappointed. Sure, it might make things better by 5% or so, but I'd bet money that it's going to be barely noticeable. Still, would love BIS to prove me wrong on this one!

You must not remember the performance improvements that patches brought to Arma 1. It was pretty much unplayable until the patch came out which wasn't like a year or so afterwards. I'm really looking forward to next Christmas as we will probably have a nice patch in 2010. They better hurry up cuz everyone knows the world will end in 2012 and I wanna play Arma2

Which Windows 7 bug exactly? i run Arma 2 fine on Win7.

QX6700 @ 2.66Ghz

GTX285

4 gig ram 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Dell 2408WFP @ 1920x1200 (ingame res is 1920x1200)

All settings very high, sit around 20-40 FPS which imo is acceptable.

Edited by D_O_A

Sure, it might make things better by 5% or so

So where do your numbers come from? 5% just feel like the best thing to type in?

Anyways moving right along, A patch will make things more consistent which is something most people want. I think that players are aware and don't want a patch that takes them from 40fps to 50fps with the spikes. The patching process is to keep a steady 40fps throughout.

The i7's do have a issue with this game and Win7. Frankly I think it's more the Intel side and all the enthusiasts that couldn't wait a few months for the i7's to be tested. They always find flaws and bugs that they have to iron out at the fab factory.

Anyways hopefully the upcoming patch will solve SOME of the engines issues and smooth-en game play up a bit. But like it was mentioned above, it took some time before a patch came out to really make Arma 1 work properly, that and I'm sure a hardware upgrade along the way...

On a side note, if you want to see what a Developer can do with a similar engine to Arma 2 but actually optimized, check out DCS Black Shark. A Ka-50 Attack helicopter simulator... Those guys got it right, and they are a very small company compared to the big boys. It's a shame BIS cut so many corners and pushes for release when there not even close to ready to a polished smooth gaming experince (not just performance, bugs, multiplayer, file system structure, mod support integration or lack there of.)

So where do your numbers come from? 5% just feel like the best thing to type in?

Anyways moving right along, A patch will make things more consistent which is something most people want. I think that players are aware and don't want a patch that takes them from 40fps to 50fps with the spikes. The patching process is to keep a steady 40fps throughout.

The i7's do have a issue with this game and Win7. Frankly I think it's more the Intel side and all the enthusiasts that couldn't wait a few months for the i7's to be tested. They always find flaws and bugs that they have to iron out at the fab factory.

Anyways hopefully the upcoming patch will solve SOME of the engines issues and smooth-en game play up a bit. But like it was mentioned above, it took some time before a patch came out to really make Arma 1 work properly, that and I'm sure a hardware upgrade along the way...

On a side note, if you want to see what a Developer can do with a similar engine to Arma 2 but actually optimized, check out DCS Black Shark. A Ka-50 Attack helicopter simulator... Those guys got it right, and they are a very small company compared to the big boys. It's a shame BIS cut so many corners and pushes for release when there not even close to ready to a polished smooth gaming experince (not just performance, bugs, multiplayer, file system structure, mod support integration or lack there of.)

I can agree that DCS:BS was almost perfect at launch but tbh, LOMAC wasn't.

Secondly, DCS:BS is simulating ONE playable unit.

At some point, you have to release and in the case of BIS (a small developer), they had obviously pushed it as far as they could. There are definitely bugs but I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking yet and there is nothing out there that even distantly competes with this franchise.

The fact is that BIS will support the product for the long haul and while that may not be "good enough" for some of the Prima donnas on here, I think that veteran's of BISs' other games knew what they were in for when they purchased A2.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Actually, that number is based on 20 years as a PC gamer and 10 years as a full time technology reviewer who uses games to benchmark hardware. It's extremely rare for a patch to increase performance significantly.

Let's just wait and see what performance increase we get from the next patch, shall we?

I agree with your sentiments on DCS:BS - definitely the best simulator release I've ever seen. But bear in mind the scope of that game, especially AI routines, is much simpler than ARMA2.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

There are definitely bugs but I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking yet

You're definitely the exception in this case.

I don't think anybody else I know who plays this game can say the same. Heck I encounted something "gamebreaking" almost every single time I play.

One example would be infantry spotting you from a very long distance while you're prone in the "grass" which the AI has no consideration for whatsoever.

You're definitely the exception in this case.

I don't think anybody else I know who plays this game can say the same. Heck I encounted something "gamebreaking" almost every single time I play.

One example would be infantry spotting you from a very long distance while you're prone in the "grass" which the AI has no consideration for whatsoever.

Nah, I'm far from the exception. There are bugs. For example I had to reinstall XP 64 because of the i7/Win 7 deal. Then again, Win 7 isn't released so that's a dead end argument.

There are AI problems but they aren't game breaking. Sometimes when I use the AI as a substitute (when one of the usual crew is missing) we bust out laughing as he stands there, gun pointed directly at the enemy, calling their positions and being summarily mowed down without even firing a shot. Hilarious, for sure. Irritating, mildly. Game breaking, not even close.

Eth

I wouldn't call that game breaking Choc, just turn the AI's level down.

I run a LAN with 9 other guys every friday night and none of us have encountered anything game breaking yet, but I'm sure we'll run into something eventually.

It's extremely rare for a patch to increase performance significantly.

QFT

Many here are going to be very upset when the Miracle on "1.03" street doesn't miraculously solve all their performance problems.

Eth

Here is the fix for your issue :

Disable Hyperthreading in bios

This worked for me, and it should for you.

(i7920 + 6 Gb pc 12800 + 4890HD + 10000rpm HDD)

They better hurry up cuz everyone knows the world will end in 2012 and I wanna play Arma2

Off topic, but... bull.

Here is the fix for your issue :

Disable Hyperthreading in bios

This worked for me, and it should for you.

(i7920 + 6 Gb pc 12800 + 4890HD + 10000rpm HDD)

This doesn't fix the problem, it makes me pay iCore7 prices for a Quad Core. :)

I've got an iCore7 and GTX 260 and have had NOTHING but problems. It's quite disappointing. I almost think I should get an ATI card, it's in the patch notes and everyone with one loves it.