Sign in to follow this  
M4Mkey

Max Speed for choppers

Hi dudes ! I'm really liking the handling of choppers but quite disapointed in speed. I tried to push an AH1Z at max speed but exceeding 250 ( what is the unit after all ? :o ). The chopper will just stall. I know a chopper has a speed limit due to technical issues with rotors. But I just looked on the web and a Cobra AH1Z is supposed to have a max speed around 390 Km/h. ( 240 Mph for US :p )

So is there something wrong ? Is it the limit of the engine of the game. I remember well doing some 300-400 with a Blackhawk in OFP !!

In the case some people feel the same way as me, and want to travel at light speed at 10 meters above the sea, is it possible to change this ? :)

Thanks a lot !

PS : I don't think the game is measuring speed in Mph because the distance are measured in meters..

EDIT : I think I just posted this in some wrong place, but it seems too late for me to do otherwise :p so, my apologies :)

Edited by M4Mkey

Are you sure the Cobra can do 240mph?

This is the world speed record;

Westland Lynx helicopter speed record of 249.1 mph (400.87 kph)

This was of course a helicopter not kitted out for fighting, it didn't have TOW missile systems and such. In combat a lynx will not get anywhere near 249mph with all the gear and it is the fastest helicopter in the world.

I assume the units are in kph because realistically a fully loaded chopper would never reach 200mph.

well, I've seen 410Kilometers per hours for an AH1Z here : http://www.deagel.com/Combat-Helicopters/AH-1Z-King-Cobra_a000240001.aspx

with a web converter it gives 254.8Mph. So let's admit it's not quite accurate because the Lynx has the record. I checked that and you're right about it.

But.. that's not the point because the game don't give the speed in MPH. Or, I don't think so... There is still a huge difference between real max speed and the one in game. I made a Hind go to 266MPH at 10 meters from sea and was still very easy to handle. The question here is to know in wich unit the speed is measured in game and to know if there is a way to "improve" their speed :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AH-1Z_Viper. Even wiki is giving a cruise speed ( in three differents measurments ) and no one seems to fit the one in game.

the 255mph is the never exceed speed, which means how fast you need to go before the chopper shakes its self to pieces/engines overheat/wind resistance breaks something. the cruise speed is the speed at which the flow of air over the wing best matches the shape of the wing, and give good fuel efficieny

Yeah whatever ! :D

I just wanted to know by some people who might have "played" with chopper configs, if it's possible to boost this cruise speed, cause it is inaccurate in game. The game is measuring speed in Kph and i'm sure of it now.

So an attack chopper flying at 250 Kph with difficulties... that sound really weird.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Yeah whatever ! :D

I just wanted to know by some people who might have "played" with chopper configs, if it's possible to boost this cruise speed, cause it is inaccurate in game. The game is measuring speed in Kph and i'm sure of it now.

So an attack chopper flying at 250 Kph with difficulties... that sound really weird.

max attainable top speed is set by the mass in the model. You could change the envelope command's values which would give you greater acceleration and perfomance in a turn but i doubt they would affect the top speed much. You would need to alter the model... which you cant do in its ODOL format.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

I tried the M/AH-6 addon, and I think his handling is quite different from the other one as well as its top speed seems lower ^^

Are you sure the Cobra can do 240mph?

This is the world speed record;

Westland Lynx helicopter speed record of 249.1 mph (400.87 kph)

This was of course a helicopter not kitted out for fighting, it didn't have TOW missile systems and such. In combat a lynx will not get anywhere near 249mph with all the gear and it is the fastest helicopter in the world.

I assume the units are in kph because realistically a fully loaded chopper would never reach 200mph.

With attack helicopters, Hind is still the speed king.

210 mph making it world's fastest attack helicopter.

I also feel that the flight model is on the slow side. If you load up the HWM mod with the Apache in Arma 2 you get some decent speed.

HWM mod ? I DLed the apache but it's quite buggy :( what a shame, I really like this chopper but I really think that conversion from older BIS game will be full of bugs.

But that was achieved the same way as the Lynx record - with a stripped down airframe flown, in this case, by a female crew (saving another ~100Kg of weight)

HWM mod ? I DLed the apache but it's quite buggy :( what a shame, I really like this chopper but I really think that conversion from older BIS game will be full of bugs.

yeah, mate, it is ashame, they should make a good conversion as it is one of the best for Arma. In my opinion the best addon!

It depends on what you class as an attack helicopter. The Lynx is used as an attack helicopter with anti tank missiles, for example 847 squadron

It depends on what you class as an attack helicopter. The Lynx is used as an attack helicopter with anti tank missiles, for example 847 squadron

The Lynx is an armed helicopter, not an attack helicopter. It's a helicopter with weapons bolted on to it. An attack helicopter is a helicopter that is designed only as a weapons system.

The Lynx is an armed helicopter, not an attack helicopter. It's a helicopter with weapons bolted on to it. An attack helicopter is a helicopter that is designed only as a weapons system.

Ah now I understand, thanks for the definition :D

Actual performance stats for AH-1Z from the Bell Helicopter Site

AH1Z_PG_3-06_.pdf

AH-1Z in Anti-Armour config

LRC = 248km/hr / 154mph (Long range Cruise speed I believe)

MCP = 287km/hr / 178mph (Maximum Cruise Performance / speed I belive)

Dive = 411 km/hr

max attainable top speed is set by the mass in the model. You could change the envelope command's values which would give you greater acceleration and perfomance in a turn but i doubt they would affect the top speed much. You would need to alter the model... which you cant do in its ODOL format.

higher mass = higher speed?

At first I thoigh airspeed in game was with knots, but now I think they show km/h 250 knots is way too much for an Helicopter cos I can reach this speed in game too fast, on another way do a 180 degree turn at 250knots will break all my rotors very fast :)