Sign in to follow this  
BobbyDylan

OS suggestions plz

Hey guys,

Ok, My rig;

I got a 3.2ghz core 2 duo wolfdale chip.

An ATI 4870 x2 2GB card

4gb of DDR3 ram

a 500gb hard drive.

... and Windows xp professional installed.:glare: Which means only 120gb of my hard drive, and 3gb of my memory is detected. :mad:

My question is, is it worth while me moving up to Windows 7? If so, should I go 32 or 64 bt? Will Arma run better on Win7 or my current XP config?

ArmA 2 runs best on Windows XP. You shouldn't install another OS just for some game...

Well, if you want a 64 bit OS so that you have access to all your RAM, Windows 7 is the way to go. I'd also recommend Windows 7 which is a much nicer to use and stable OS than XP is all round. Threre doesn't seem to be one best OS for ArmA 2, some have found W7 to work the best, some say XP. However, everyone agrees that Vista is the worst choice.

Ok, thanks guys. Windows 7 it is.:yay: As soon as I get back from work, I'm getting the RC.

Yep, Windows 7 as a whole rocks. Stability in Arma 2 based on OS is not so easy to signify. Some 7 works better, some XP, but fps performance wise XP runs much faster, but doesn't look as good, but 7 runs faster than Vista, but still in beta (extremely stable beta though)

... and Windows xp professional installed.:glare: Which means only 120gb of my hard drive [...] is detected. :mad:

Are you running XP without any service packs? With SP3 installed, XP has no problems detecting and using more than 120GB hard drive space.

MadDog is right, XP has no problem detecting over 120gb, the only issues it could have is if it was fat32 (in which case it's not getting anywhere near 12gb, let alone 120gb) or if you've only set 120gb as NTFS and set the rest as either unpartitioned space or another file system (like Ext3)

If it's the first, then goto administration tool -> computer management -> storage -> disk management, then partition any unpartitioned (unallocated) space

Yeah, the 120GB would be applicable if you had an original version of XP, which was limited to small-ish hard drives. However, the 3GB thing is something that is common to all 32-bit OSes, so there's no way around it.

Ok, so one the basis of Win7 using 4GB ram, will it run better than 3GB xp?

Ok, so one the basis of Win7 using 4GB ram, will it run better than 3GB xp?

Probably not. ArmA 2 isn't going to use 3GB, let alone 4. Exact performance can vary. You may find that you get an noteworthy increase over XP, you may get a decrease, or the change may be negligible. I would argue however that it's a much better OS overall that XP so it's worth at least trying it for that sake.

ArmA 2 runs best on Windows XP. You shouldn't install another OS just for some game...

That depends entirely on the game. I would install any OS in order to play "The Ultimate Game". Unfortunately this game has yet to be created, but ARMA2 is getting there.

I'm using both Win7 and xp 32bit, and the game runs fine with about the same performance on both.

My experience does not concur with this. I get terrible "Juddervision" (stutter) in Win 7 RC, no such issues with XP 32-bit.

My rig is: 920 Core i7/6 Gig/GTX295

Very odd!

My experience does not concur with this. I get terrible "Juddervision" (stutter) in Win 7 RC, no such issues with XP 32-bit.

My rig is: 920 Core i7/6 Gig/GTX295

Very odd!

i7 + HT + Win 7 (not sure if its just 64 or not) = stutter festival.

If you turn HT off it will help but the performance under XP64 is still much better.

i7 + HT + Win 7 (not sure if its just 64 or not) = stutter festival.

If you turn HT off it will help but the performance under XP64 is still much better.

WOW - thanks!

I wouldn't have believed that if i hadn't just tried it.

I switched HT off in BIOS and re-tried Win 7 RC

Once initial model/texture load has concluded, NO STUTTER.

So there definitely appears to be a problem with HT, Win 7 RC (in my case 64-bit) and this game.

HT can be enabled in XP 32-bit with no obvious stuttering, so what is Win 7 doing differently? The game code is surely IDENTICAL?

So i'm not sure who's issue this is to fix? Is this something Microsoft needs to look at?

Are there other good examples where HT causes similar problems?

Edited by Merefield

Gotta remember that win 7 is a beta, but thankfully the reason Microsoft released it to the public is so people could discover problems like this and fix them early so we don't have a repeat of vista

WOW - thanks!

I wouldn't have believed that if i hadn't just tried it.

I switched HT off in BIOS and re-tried Win 7 RC

Once initial model/texture load has concluded, NO STUTTER.

So there definitely appears to be a problem with HT, Win 7 RC (in my case 64-bit) and this game.

HT can be enabled in XP 32-bit with no obvious stuttering, so what is Win 7 doing differently? The game code is surely IDENTICAL?

So i'm not sure who's issue this is to fix? Is this something Microsoft needs to look at?

Are there other good examples where HT causes similar problems?

It's likely to do with the 4 virtual cores that enabling HT entails and the way the game is communicating with them under Win 7.

There are cases where turning HT off will give you a few more FPS in certain games. None of them are as dramatic as the problem related to A2 + i7 + HT.

As Bulldogs says, Win 7 is still not released so it is very much a case of "use at your own risk". In my own experience, even though it hasn't been officially released, it is far better than Vista and A2 is the only game I have had trouble with under Win 7. I have some issues with BF2 and 2142 but they are all down to Bunkpuster.

Glad that sorted it for you mate :)

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Go with Win XP, I can barely play it on Vista, and im not going to go install a Win 7 beta for this freaking game.

Don't install it for Arma 2, install it for your computer.. it really is a pleasure to use