Sign in to follow this  
Dreossk

Stance indicator

No need for such a stance indicator i would say.

If you dont know in what you are just press alt and look down

No need for such a stance indicator i would say.

If you dont know in what you are just press alt and look down

Like pointed out before, in RL you don't need to look at your leggs to know what your stance is (at least i don't). Personally HUD/UI icons are for things you would normally know, but due to the fact some things aren't that easy to know ingame, it helps you.

*So you count your bullets and mags of all your weapons?

-> No sir, that is why i have HUD indicators.

Anyway, some like it some don't. That is why a coded BIS solution where you can enable/disable client wise the HUD elements is requested.

There's a difference between stance indicator and bullet count. IRL you count your bullets or forget how many there are, you don't actually know the bullet count. This is not true for your stance - IRL you never try to move forgetting you're crouched and thus move slower and get tired faster, but you can forget the bullet count or forget to reload quite easily if you lose count.

Oh jesus (got to love internet discussions)...

Look, some simply want an alternative and faster way to check if they are in crouche mode or standing up. Often a big difference between safe® and exposed, same for how units behave. Some people don't play 24/7 as they have other things to do and therefor might not always 'feel' it in what stance they are. Instead of acting as a dummy who forgot his brain and have to look at his leggs or start to feel it once he start to move....an HUD indicator shows you want you normally would know (subtile reminder). Better have your eye on the battlefield instead of haven't to check down if everything is ok. I don't see why the fuss, it isn't a cheat imho...

Anyway, Deadfast got the point i guess. Again some like it some don't. It looks he is working on an addon indicator, i will download and use it. Thanks for trying to understand....

+1 to body hit indicators , I'm sure you can tell irl if you've been shot in your leg vs your head , in arma 2 you cant

No thanks to instant body hit indicators. Yes thanks to delayed indication. When shit hits the fan and a lot of things happen around you, you may not always be immediately aware that you are wounded. If nerves are clipped it can take a long time before pain sets in. Your only indication may be a sensation of wetness (due bleeding) and numbness. Speaking from own experience in real life with a cut wound I didn't realize until a couple of minutes had passed.

A 15-30 second delay should be enough. Don't compare to bullet count in GUI. This is something I'd like to see gone. This is something that actually is bad for realism. Stance is something you "feel" instantly, not something you should have to check. You shouldn't have to get "out of scope" to check your stance. So...

This needs to be implemented as a DIFFICULTY config and not made default, this will kill realism for groups that enjoy it. I for one would have this forced off on our servers :p.

That statement doesn't really make sense to me. A stance/health indicator doesn't "kill realism" a single bit. It may lower the immersion, but that should be up to the guy playing. Bullet count and crosshairs however, I would agree with is a realism thing. I would even argue that camerashake and headbob is more of a realism setting to be forced than this stance/health hud.

That being said, the stance indicator isn't really important to me, only been a couple of times that I have missed it and done things because my stance wasn't immediately "felt"; like rolling instead of leaning because I though I was prone but my avatar somewhere stood up with me not ordering him to. But the "hey medic, can you check if I'm hurt" thing is insanity, considering you might be in a vehicle or forcedOptics. And it does make perfect sense to combine the two hud elements.

I doubt you can compare cuts to gunshot wounds, though. Cuts can barely hit anything past your skin so it would make sense to get a cut and not really feel it, while I'm not sure the same can be said about gunshot wounds (or much more severe cuts). But yeah I agree in the case of cuts it can be quite serious in terms of blood loss and still you won't really feel it (I know because I had a skiing accident where the person I collided with got a huge cut on her arm and it took us a while to figure out where the blood was dripping from, and she had to get stiches... But I doubt any serious damage was done, which could be a very different situation when you actually get shot).

Probably not, but it was in the thinking that a paper cut or "asphalt rash" is a lot more painful and immediate sensation than more severe wounds. The instant feedback from gunshots is already there with blur and "blood splatter" textures on the screen. I don't want the hud feedback to "steal focus", so I'd rather have it delayed and fade into place. The "pain" that is sometimes unclear is i.e. when you "cut yourself" on one of those pesky Takistani sharp rocks (I hate those!!) or exit a vehicle with a badly positioned exit point, and wasn't paying attention.