Sign in to follow this  
demowhc

Can't hold breath?

It says in the controls list that I can set a key to hold breath (to make it easier when scoped I assume) but it seems to do nothing.. I have tried many different keys but my scope sways all over the place and I dont hear any "holding breath" noises, what gives?

Slow down, by default the hold breath is the same as the zoom button (right mouse)

If you move you get winded, if you run you get super winded, you can note this by how heavy you are breathing.. remember you are lugging around alot of equipment, reducing this can help, but slowing down is the ultimate weapon.. Of course, and probably most obvious, crouching and prone position helps accuracy.

oh and if your shot in the arm.. lol not good, find a corpspan or a MASH

Regards,

Cackle

No idea mate. The original button is HOLD RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON. I got it changed to another button and when i hold it - my player holds his breath and the aim is steady for some second(s). You dont hold your breath for long and it doesnt steady the aim to complete standstill like some other shooter.

You should hear after some seconds how your guy starts breathing as he has hold his breath and need to breath after that.

Did you after changing key really press OK - OK? I made this mistake many times where i back out again and miss pressing OK all the way after changing keys. Go in again and see if its really assigned. And also not red ofcourse. Stating obvious things not intention to mock you mate just to be on the safe side. ;)

EDIT: argh too late.

Alex

^^ as he said

I say again: Hold breath is a very short effect, after three seconds or so your hands starts to shake and your breath becomes forced. :whistle:

Edited by Dallas
:whistle:

Hold breath merely reduces weapon sway, it usually doesn't eliminate it completely. If you've been running around for a while, your weapon sway will be so bad that holding your breath will have very little effect, unless you wait for a few seconds first.

As an ex-forces marksman I can assure everyone I never 'held my breath' to take a shot - what we actually did was to relax, breath out and delay taking the inbreath while aiming and firing.

A small point, but it's been driving me mad that people actually think 'holding your breath' would increase accuracy. All it does it make you tense and more likely to jerk the trigger and spoil the shot if you retain a lungful of air... *grins*

Ok, be niggly. Replace "hold breath" with "breath control" and it's the same thing.

As an ex-forces marksman I can assure everyone I never 'held my breath' to take a shot - what we actually did was to relax, breath out and delay taking the inbreath while aiming and firing.

A small point, but it's been driving me mad that people actually think 'holding your breath' would increase accuracy. All it does it make you tense and more likely to jerk the trigger and spoil the shot if you retain a lungful of air... *grins*

For long range, sure, but for short range on short notice you just point your weapon hold breath and shoot. Of course in that case the entire process is ~3 seconds max, after which either you or your target are probably dead or if you're both lucky and are both still alive you'll be diving for cover. It would be nice if long range shooting would be simulated more realistically though, say some combination of the AA2 system (shoot at the end of a breathing cycle) and a hold breath system (for max accuracy hold breath at the low end of the breathing cycle while prone, but when needed can hold breath randomly and take a shot that's more accurate than while breathing but less accurate than properly holding breath). Actually when you're breathing hard it's better to hold breath at the TOP end of the breathing cycle, when your lungs are full of air rather than empty. This is because your body needs the oxygen and at this point will be able to hold breath longer, as opposed to when you're not breathing heavily and the low end of the breathing cycle will result in greater stability (compare the stability of a soccer ball full of air VS one with no air).

Basically, right click once to go into scope view, then click and hold right mouse button and thats where it comes in, as everyone else said it doesnt last long and you can hear your guy struggling with his breath if you hold it for to long :)

Remember the lower you go the more accurate you will be also. I.E. kneeling is more accurate than standing and prone is more accurate that kneeling.

I think what confuses people is that they expect 'hold breath' to steady your aim as long as the key is held down in all circumstances, i.e. even while winded from running. While it does briefly steady your aim, the net effect of holding ones breath while already out of breath quickly makes you ... even more out of breath, with predictably worse aim than if you didn't hold breath to begin with. While winded, holding breath for longer than a breathing cycle will have you gasping for air.

In short, 'hold breath' is NOT magic - it works like in real life. Slow down, stop running everywhere and you won't be winded all the time.