Sign in to follow this  
TheMonster

Could this be possibly the best game in history?

maybe not best game in history, but 1 of the best for me atleast. ive been waiting for a game like this for a long time. i thought games like bf2, would offer great teamplay and fun, but it didnt. they always show what people want in a game in trailers or previews, but when it actually comes out, its never like that. so i believe i have found the game that ive been looking for. my only complain is that there is alot of time spent getting to places or waiting for stuff or other palyers in the game. i noticed that is a close quarters combat mode, ive tried it once and it was fun, both teams were in one central town or city and duked it out, taking out the long waits and travels like on the regular map.

call of duty 4 was the best ever.

It's rapidly jumping up the charts for me. It really is an endlessly fun game and once you learn how to use the Editor, the game jumps to a whole new level of playability and enjoyment. Just imagine what's in store once we figure out all the Modules!

The bugs really don't bother me. I'm just happy to be able to play it. I'm a huge fan of the OFP series and of course ArmA. Most of all, I like the approach BIS takes to developing games.

This game will no doubt kick some serious ass in later versions and when ACE2 and the other Mods/AddOns start appearing..... GOD DAMN watch out na'. :yay:

Cheers to BIS for these great games and putting up with the constant pissing and moaning from the "nose bleed seats".

Probably one of the best games today....providing all the bugs are fixed.

The only thing that is keeping this game from being #1 seller or best rated game is the bugs and the performance issues, fix those and boy the results would be good.

you know a game's good when you get sht from ya bird for stoppin up playin it and moddin 'n editing....n talkin about an xms with attached nade launchers and calling tomahawk airstrikes that can level a small town........and for having a car full of hookers while you drive to the next objective.

heh.

arma 2 reminds me of how much i loved ofp so many years ago.

I tell my friends and acquaintances that have asked the truth; ArmA II has: bugs, spotty documentation, and a steep learning curve. But, it's the most ambitious game of its kind, delilvers a feature payload larger then any game in existance, is superbly supported, and is the biggest bang for the gaming buck you'll ever find if you like realism gaming with an emphasis on realism.

:)

Edited by Hoak

Dude, wait till you discover what the game editor is all about!

:)

No lie...I wasn't planning on doing any game editing but I immediately became addicted as it's the key to the future greatness of this totally awesome game.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

The weird thing is that even in the battles you concoct for yourself in the editor, you're constantly taken by surprise. The AI is freaking uncanny. You set things up more or less then suddenly find the AI coming alive on you and putting up one hell of a fight...and if you play your own scenario out over and over again you'll be amazed that each time you play that same scenario things turn out much differenty than you'd expect...

I don't understand teh bitching about the Campaign. You know it'll be fixed eventually. But who cares? It's this program...it's so full of life. And death too I guess.

It's like living in the most incredible newsreels of war, combined with being the most incredible toy soldier set you ever dreamed of when you were a little boy.

I confess it; I'm a mere child before the greatness of this incredible thing we have here.

I can just get up in the morning and start playing by 6:00 AM and suddenly it's 4:30 AM the next day and time to crash from exhaustion.

Edited by Cadmium77

When I picked up the game retail at EB games, the clerk asked me about the game, my answer was "The best war nut game around. And the editor, streuth! Go to the wiki and keep scrolling!" Playing solider since '01 and plan to keep it that way. TBH, I hope BI survive OFP2 onslaught, Codemasters ain't selling a sim like VBS or SB pro, besides for the looks, we just have to wait and see.

Bout time I got off MP!

Happy hunting!

Yes, best game ever, best GFX, best content, best modding ability, you can do so much more in this game than any other, it really is way above the rest of Battle games & sims.

I'd say no - demo is really fun, but..

-Poor performance

-Many bugs

-Cheery moderation staff

-Poor storyline

-horrid US distribution

-buggy ai

I don't understand teh bitching about the Campaign. You know it'll be fixed eventually. But who cares? It's this program...it's so full of life. And death too I guess.

Well, you see, I took the following quote from the back of the box...

Play the campaign missions in cooperative mode...

to mean that I could play the campain in coop mode.

So, myself and a mate both bought the game and currently feel extremely ripped off that we can't just play the campaign through in coop mode due to the extreme bugs and issues even after the 1.02 patch.

Personally, in the same way that you don't seem to care about the current state of the campaign, I don't care about the editing side of the game, downloading mods or playing non coop modes.

We just want to play the frigging campaign in coop mode.

"It'll be fixed eventually" is way too late for this game, IMHO... if a new patch isn't very soon, this rip-off piece of junk (again, IMHO) will be uninstalled and binned.

Hi all

I have long thought that the Real Virtuality engine has amazing unrealised potential.

Since BIS released OFP I have thought this.

Kind Regards walker

So, myself and a mate both bought the game and currently feel extremely ripped off that we can't just play the campaign through in coop mode due to the extreme bugs and issues even after the 1.02 patch.

Personally, in the same way that you don't seem to care about the current state of the campaign, I don't care about the editing side of the game, downloading mods or playing non coop modes.

"It'll be fixed eventually" is way too late for this game, IMHO... if a new patch isn't very soon, this rip-off piece of junk (again, IMHO) will be uninstalled and binned.

YOu do realize that that campaign is only about 1/1000 of what this software has to offer, right?

It's OK but it has a lot of corny stuff in it...the spoken lines...etc..

It's the game editor...even if you play with it in the most superficial levels it'll repay you with the most incredible battles you can imagine.

And the weird thing is that even when you set up a battle and you know where the enemy is coming from, what its objectives will be, It plays out differently every time...the AI suprises you in it's attack and defense. You can play that same scenario a dozen times and it'll turn out differently every time.

Get past the campaign...it'll get fixed..in fact even if BI doesn't fix it someone who knows how to script probably will...it's just the vestibule to a great mansion full of splendid things. As for being ripped off, my God what are you saying? I was thinking of buying VBS2 for hundreds of dollars. What's the price on the basic VBS2? $700+??? And that has NO campaign thingy in it. It's 100% pure battle editor.

We've got that same basic software for $49.00

That is an incredible bargain by any measure.

Wake up, grow up...enjoy. You've got a date on Saturday night with a 16 year old Catherine Denueve and you're complaining because she only speaks French.

Edited by Cadmium77

Hi all

I have long thought that the Real Virtuality engine has amazing unrealised potential.

Since BIS released OFP I have thought this.

Kind Regards walker

My opinion is that the RVE is end-of-life. I got this opinion in 2006 after being 3 weeks ArmA1 owner.

But indeed it is the best of its kind because there is no other.

You may not care about the editor but you should take a look at it. I can set up a fun scenario in about 2 minutes. Which would be great for you and your friend when you beat the campaign.

Ehh.. no. Its a small, planned improvement over Arma but the execution is not very good.

-Its the same engine with some changes but generally it looks the same, lighting, shadows, etc.

-It uses shadder model 3.0 but we lost the option to adjust shadder detail!

-You can set 3D resolution up to 200%, good luck with that!

-It uses multiple CPU cores but runs worse than Armed Assault in about all system configurations? (uh?)

-It performs in a way that in order to play it most have to turn down/off graphics settings that Armed Assault 1 handled smoothly at high settings (textures, shadows, grass).

-The physics are the same and there are still colision detection problems.

-Randomly used scripted gameplay features that are either broken or incompatible with MP.

-Broken SP campaign and poorly executed training missions and SP "scenarios".

-Bad voice acting, uninteresting characters and story (warfare in the campaign?).

-Broken vehicles, bugs to be found in pretty much every vehicle.

-Inconsistent artwork (quality) and refurbished content.

-Broken ocean (NE of the map) and massive stuttering at the borders.

-Bad online performance (30 fps cap?).

Not everything is bad.

-Sound engine is better (still too quiet inside vehicles).

-A.i. is better, despite super vision (behiond visibility even).

-Reload on the move and vault over fences (the a.i. cant do it).

-Diferent languages, (English, Russian and "Chernarussian") finally!

-A great deal of content (though much of it is bugged).

-Many new scripting commands for advanced editors.

-New particle effects look very nice.

-More detailed vehicle destruction system.

Like Armed Assault it will take a great deal of work and time to make Arma II shine, it will be worth it since the game does have alot of value but for those expecting a great SP war experience (like 1985: CWC) its not there and like with the previous Arma that cant be fixed in a patch..

Chernarus is the star of the new game and it is with no doubt much more stylish and believable than Sahrani but its also a bit dull and repetitive. The cities are smaller, yet have a higher impact on performance?

In 2001 OPF was the best game ever, in 2009 Arma II is a small step over Armed Assault, it might still be the best in the genre (the only one) but its not the high quality production i anticipated. Arma was a big step over OPF, not in terms of design but technically, Arma II is a small step over Arma but its not as polished, it brings little inovation yet twice the system requirements.

This is a very critical.. "review" but its a straight opinion from someone who wears a big fanboy hat, after Armed Assault's poor release state i really expected Arma II to be a smooth ride since the game is basically the same and Arma 1 was patched nearly close to perfection. Déjà-vu..

I am so freakin excited to download the full game.

Wait, what?

The bugs are the price of us baying for an early release. I literally can't complain.

I was excited to buy this game until i DLed the demo and it runs horriblly, this game is terrible, my pc is more than uptodate to run this game and yet it runs horrible no matter the settings.

I was excited to buy this game until i DLed the demo and it runs horriblly, this game is terrible, my pc is more than uptodate to run this game and yet it runs horrible no matter the settings.

would you mind posting your specs for us then, I know lots of ppl in our community who have lower end systems who are having a blast with the game, it took them a few tweaks to get it running to where they like it, but none of them have reported what you have posted, so please, post your pc specs.

Edited by TCEd

I had experienced the poor quality of ARMA1 release but saw it over time get fixed. I was so looking forward to ARMA2 and not much excites me these days but this got my blood pumping.

With great anticipation I opened and installed the game and after 5 mins play was still pretty excited as the atmosphere/sounds and ground cover pulled me in. Then it was all over, the next 2.5 weeks all I did was try and fix graphical glitches and Receiving... black screen problems. over 20hrs of installing and reinstalling the game, all drivers on my system, changing settings but nothing I did made the game playable for more than 5 mins mostly but there was a rare once or twice I did manage to play for 1hr. This is all Single Player by the way forget Multiplayer. I get a black screen always in multiplayer and slowdowns so bad in cities with flashing white triangles etc etc/. No my card is fine and not overheating, trust me I have tried/checked everything.

So now I don't even load the game up, I cannot be bothered, I feel sick at the thought of the bugs. I have told my mates to not buy it unless the bugs are ironed out and this is a group hat played ARMA often. I hate to say it but as much as OFP2 will not be the same as ARMA2 I know for a fact that I wont have these frustrations and I may even enjoy OFP2 for what it has to offer and just expect less.

This from someone that only normally buys 1-2 games a year, in fact ARMA was my last purchase since 2007 - 2009 (ARMA2) but due to being dissolusioned with ARMA2 I will be buying OFP2.

So to answer the original poster's question/comment......ARMA2 had an opportunity to be exactly that the "Best game in history" but blew the chance IMO.

Edited by Dogtags

For all of you having problems... especially in cities... try playing with low and very low settings. It obviously isn't quite as pretty but it sure is fun. The only time things get slowed down is when I look at this one specific type of tree and when there are large amounts of smoke. I had a large battle with over one company per side battling it out in chernagorsk and the only time the game slowed was when a cobra hit a tower and took out a bunch of buildings and all I had to do to get rid of the lag was look away.

EDIT: Keep in mind my computer sucks.

To whomever brought up OFP2 and complains for the sake of it:

And you think Operation Flashpoint 2 will do better? I haven't seen one game play trailer from that game that leaves the impression that Arma 2 has for me: That the game play is so dynamic, fluid and fun that I'd play it for a long time to come. OFP2 is coming out in the Fall and the best they could come up with was a few moments of staged game play and a tank blast in sequences. The only impression that's left me with is that it's a run-of-the-mill shooter with decent graphics so they want word-of-mouth from fans to do the job for them.

Sorry, I guess Arma 2 isn't for everyone but it is one of the greatest shooters I've ever played and a solid simulator. Best of luck to ya with whatever game you choose, but bashing a game on its own forum because you want to feel like you're not the only one is just low.

Edited by Madav

To whomever brought up OFP2 and complains for the sake of it:

Sorry, I guess Arma 2 isn't for everyone but it is one of the greatest shooters I've ever played and a solid simulator. Best of luck to ya with whatever game you choose, but bashing a game on its own forum because you want to feel like you're not the only one is just low.

Obviously you did not read my post properley and reacted to 4 characters only.

I loved ARMA, eventually when it worked fine and I spent many hours playing it. The reason I loved it was I was sick of the "run of the mill" shooter and looked forward to a tactical game and in multiplayer you can get that.

The POINT of my post was that ARMA2 for MANY people does not work long enough for us to enjoy it, how do you think many people feel? Maybe you can play it, you may be one of the lucky ones but I am not complaining about slow graphics, I would love it if my only problem was performance. My problem is that it is unplayable, black scrren often, turn my head int he city and a black screen comes up, take one step and a black screen.

Due to this dissapointment and wasted hours trying to get it going I am now looking forward to something that at least may work which is why I mentioned that other game you so immediately shoot down. My POINT is also to show how dissapointed I am and how this game does NOT deserve the title given to it by the original poster, I was responding to his question.

Next time try and "Read" and "think" about what someone is trying to say instead of flaming for the sake of it.

Its a great game.. but its been out for 10years or so in my eyes.