Sign in to follow this  

So, i was wondering bohemia, why do you hide so many features of the editor?

So, i was wondering bohemia, why do you hide so many features of the editor?

What are they hiding exactly? :confused:

There's quite a few objects in the campaign that aren't readily available in the Editor, they are hidden.

There's even more items in the game that could be placed via the editor, but didn't have any classes for them. There's already an addon to fix that though, really there's one to fix both problems. :)

Maybe this way they avoid even more localisation trouble. The german translation is already a pain. More objects in the editor avaible = more displaynames need to be translated. But maybe I'm wrong and they have to be translated anyway - I really don't know.

if they didn't then there'd be no chance for the community to make an EditorUpdate to fix it :D

Not just objects, stuff like putting people in vehicles is a ass...

Name unit, then type "unit moveincargo transport" and copy pasting it and chainging names etc.

Couldnt you just make it a button like synchronise or groups.

Select where to go and pull on where you want it to be...

Now now, not providing dummy-proof interfaces for every littleness is not the same as "hiding features".

Putting people in a vehicle is not a feature of the editor, not even a hidden one. (except for ordering them to get in an vehicle, the good old way)

Scripting however is a feature and it is not hidden, it also is a feature which most other editors do not even have. Don't blame them because you're too lazy for it.

I do agree though that it would have made sense to allow every object in the game to be placed in the editor.

Anyhow, I prefer hidden things over disabled things. Hidden things can be unlocked, that is not the case for features that are not in at all or removed before release.

You hit the nail on the head! Most of us have been asking for some kind of WYSIWYG Editor for a long time, but it never materialized. Why couldn't they have just made a drop down option to place a person in a vehicle, etc.? I have heard lots of great mission ideas that never get off the ground because the person with the idea doesn't have the editor skills. And a little off topic, why don't AI have a "LAND Aircraft" option....

Hidden things can often be used if you find out the classname.

Im certainly not complaining though, there is so much in there already!

Hmm.. but i'd like to know the classname of the golden AK, anyone knows?

I love the editor as it is, however a script utility for writing script would be nice if it where added. I dont like alt tab, anyway. I love the editor and its the first thing I do when launching arma. Try different things out, test everything, use the biki, comref and the classnames and have fun :)

Jonas, for editing it is useful to run ArmA in windowed mode. ;)

Golden AK has this classname:

AKS_GOLD

Jonas, for editing it is useful to run ArmA in windowed mode. ;)

Golden AK has this classname:

AKS_GOLD

Thanks.

AI do have option to land. use waypoints and "DoStop" command in the waypoint.

Thanks Cato, but I meant in game (such as a domination Ai mission).

To everyone else, I expected Arma2 to come with a WYSIWYG editor that included scripts. Maybe with a GUI with drop down menus etc. Like I said before, some of the best missions have never been made because the author didn't have the necessary skills (scripting, etc) to bring them to fruition.

Thanks Cato, but I meant in game (such as a domination Ai mission).

To everyone else, I expected Arma2 to come with a WYSIWYG editor that included scripts. Maybe with a GUI with drop down menus etc. Like I said before, some of the best missions have never been made because the author didn't have the necessary skills (scripting, etc) to bring them to fruition.

That or a easy to understand list of scripts in some manual.

I tried to get something out of the bohemia comunity page in wiki but i got a headache from all the technical mumbo jumbo :(