Sign in to follow this  
Jimmah

High Command Instructions?

I've seen this echoed in a few places around this forum, but I haven't found any kind of response yet.

The High Command feature is only vaguely documented in the manual, and I'm left blundering my way through a campaign that is already fubared in the extreme.

After having to use the endmission cheat in the completely broken Badlands mission, I'm now onto Dogs of War. I decided to get some USMC help by capturing Chernagorsk (using the original Razor team only). And now have the task of investigating Skalisty Island to the South East.

Now the USMC have kindly provided me with 3 Blackhawks, a couple of squads of infantry, plus APC's and Tanks. I thought it'd be nice to hit the Island hard and fast with a helo insertion. The infantry are there, the Blackhawks are there, they're all under my command. You'd think I could make it happen right?

(in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice) But you'd be wrong.

There is no documented way of making a squad board a vehicle/aircraft. Having said that, however, the waypoint system seems to allow for a waypoint to be set up as a "get in" waypoint. But there is no way of selecting what to get into, and no way of setting a waypoint at the same place as the helo, since trying to do so only results in the helo becoming the selected unit.

So come on guys, you seriously didn't think documentation was needed? I suppose bug testing was optional as well. For the record, I am mightly miffed by all this. BIS took my money for what currently is the most faulty ridden game I have ever played. On top of this support is almost non-existent (mainly consists of directions to these forums, which is not support at this stage, just more people complaining of the same). Don't get me wrong here, I love the idea of the game, and I hope it will shine in time. But selling it so people in it's current state is just an insult.

Awesome "support" BI.

Having played around some more it seems it's not even possible to use the choppers do do anything useful for Razor team. If I board, then tell it to go somewhere it just overflies the place. If I make the waypoint an "Unload" waypoint nothing different happens. In fact the only way I can seem to make it land is to tell my squad to disembark. Then the pilot suddenly cottons onto the fact that disembarking troops really don't want to get out at 80 odd feet. I, myself, can't order the chopper to land though.

Conversely, if I ask the chopper to fly to us it remains airbourne. The only way I can get it down is to ask my team to board it. Then I have to make sure I'm quick to get onboard because it lifts as soon as the Razor team members are onboard. I don't seem to count!!

What gives?

Don't get me wrong here, I love the idea of the game, and I hope it will shine in time. But selling it so people in it's current state is just an insult.

...I'll second this motion.

Anyone figured this out yet? Such a nice task force with tanks, APC's, helos, and three infantry squads, but no way to use that mobility.

I'm glad I didn't pay full retail price for the game. By getting it via Steam I got it for about half the retail price.

That said, I just quit Badlands. I got sick of APC's that can teleport to anywhere my squad was and blast us to death. Machinegunners that can shoot through through mountains and a totally useless Map that does not show the enemy positions.

I'm going back to Boot Camp and try to improve my game skills and hope that an upgrade is released soon.

It can get quite boring very soon when you fight against an unbeatable enemy.

Cheers,

Luke

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Do the developers monitor these Forums? It would be nice to get some sort of response from them me thinks??

Luke.

Don't get me wrong here, I love the idea of the game, and I hope it will shine in time. But selling it so people in it's current state is just an insult.

hear hear!

even more so now that there's already talk of an addon, when even the primary game is in such an unplayable state

I'll second the initial posters statement on the 'high command' feature..

Is there anywhere where this is fully documented with explanations as to what each heading in the menu actualy does??

I'm loving the game it has to be said.. but in badlands for instance, all the reality factor goes out of the window when I'm suddenly playing a jazzed up 'command & conquer', and still don't have a complete idea of what I'm supposed to do there either to get the maximum benefit in the game..

Awesome "support" BI.

Having played around some more it seems it's not even possible to use the choppers do do anything useful for Razor team. If I board, then tell it to go somewhere it just overflies the place. If I make the waypoint an "Unload" waypoint nothing different happens. In fact the only way I can seem to make it land is to tell my squad to disembark. Then the pilot suddenly cottons onto the fact that disembarking troops really don't want to get out at 80 odd feet. I, myself, can't order the chopper to land though.

Conversely, if I ask the chopper to fly to us it remains airbourne. The only way I can get it down is to ask my team to board it. Then I have to make sure I'm quick to get onboard because it lifts as soon as the Razor team members are onboard. I don't seem to count!!

What gives?

Those are some great tips!!

Thank you!

This game deserves a manual like the ones in the haydays of flight sims. Course that stuff died as gaming transformed into its current state. And it is money money, especially for a small studio that would have to have hire people that can playtest, translate, and write. Fortunately we're blessed with a great community of selfless enthusiasts willing to do this work for free.

In time we'll get proper documentation. In the meantime, i'm just going to screw around and get killed by infinite spawning BRDMs :p.

How do I make new squads if my existing ones have been wiped out? Surely if I can make assloads in my squad, it isn't unreasonable to want to peal some off and have them go it alone?

How do I assign troops to different squads?

If I buy troops at the barracks they just go in my squad, which becomes massive but hard to organise; and if I use the communications (complex commands) menu, when I choose to move the units, it doesn't give me a choice of squads to move them to. Ditto for my map > units menu.

Is it just disabled for this mission, or is it just the squads are too far apart / in vehicles / in a town with too many obstacles between them?

If so, how do I purchase units directly for a different squad?

IE, I want to add AT to my second squad, and I don't want to have to buy it to my squad, hook up with squad #2, transfer the one infantry.

Having sent squad #2 to my barracks, how do I instruct them to buy the new unit?

Moh, they could've made this clearer...

If I buy troops at the barracks they just go in my squad, which becomes massive but hard to organise; and if I use the communications (complex commands) menu, when I choose to move the units, it doesn't give me a choice of squads to move them to. Ditto for my map > units menu.

Is it just disabled for this mission, or is it just the squads are too far apart / in vehicles / in a town with too many obstacles between them?

I think I read somewhere (not the manual of course, on the forums) that it is disabled for this misssion. I havn't bothered with the other missions yet though, so not 100% sure

I think I read somewhere (not the manual of course, on the forums) that it is disabled for this misssion. I havn't bothered with the other missions yet though, so not 100% sure

:) That explains a lot. Hopefully this will become a lot clearer as I play through.

set the choppers with a load waypoint at the same spot as the units getin point and they should load. Then for them to get out give the chioppers an unload waypoint and the infantry a getout waypoint. Works for me

...I'll second this motion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmah

Don't get me wrong here, I love the idea of the game, and I hope it will shine in time. But selling it so people in it's current state is just an insult.]

...I'll second this motion

bah bah fork.. i just wrote an epic reply and lost it.. :(

YEP absolute junk for the money, omg the campaign, did any1 test it? LOL.. no competition against cod4 in respect to sales, and i think OFP will be 10 times better.. arma2 was rushed, released way too early.. and bah let the community deal with it.. :cool: not..

Comne on ofp dragon & modern warfare :yay::bounce3::yay:

Buts i still loves ya! - best multiplayer game ive played & the editor is sexii (include the breifing manager PREASE!) - now all this talk makes me want to make a mission. i wish we had snow map ! yehe

Edited by viibez
bad spelling::

Hey, a few questions about the high command module,

how do you damn do it, for example after take the first village in Badlands and building you first base for these stupid supply trucks not to follow you like a shadow ?

I mean the main danger on the field for my men is our supply trucks who take great pleasur driving over us, not the ennemy!

Not to mention that they sometimes stop, but if you dare to get in "gear" menu of the truck, bam it goes away... I guess there are programmers with great sense of humour at BI!

When I build a MG nest or defense, do I need to put one of my men inside or will it be manned automatically after some time ?

You say to ask razor to stay somewhere, any way to take them out of team so I can buy more units to replace them to attack 2nd village ?

also the other groups (in high command f2, f3, f4) are they just one man each ? can I buy units for these groups ? If so, how ?

sorry for all these question, but this best game ever is the worst game ever... and is shame for documentation, don't know if the boxed copy has a manual, I have Steam, but nothing really helps, event not the tutorials. They learned me I could buy a barrack, but they never explained that i NEEDED one to buy more units... btw they never told me you COULD buy units... Real tough learning curve, but great once you get it... One of those games you should not play before you have finished it

Edited by highfly

viibez:

and i think OFP will be 10 times better..

Yeah and thats the most important thing for sure! Whatever sells the most (sheep-friendly) is the best... Britney Spears tons of sales = best music ever!

Sigh

Yeah and thats the most important thing for sure! Whatever sells the most (sheep-friendly) is the best... Britney Spears tons of sales = best music ever!

Sigh

Lol no dont be sarcastic, no good... the game was simply released too early (yes rushed) to beat its RIVAL OFP DRAGON RISING.. And to make it more obvious, we have Operation Arrowhead, a STAND ALONE addon, wth no such thing, its a completely new game, and no doubt it will be fixed, like with missions & campaign that work well. Now in respect to sales, the more sales bohemia (or whoever) do, the more money they make, the bigger & better things will be! simple :p

edit:: the reason i believe ofp will be better is cos they will iron out its game, less problems mean better game, word of mouth is the biggest seller, first one home isnt always the winner! - in saying that as i said above, in that time frame Bis may have arrowhead in sexii condition also..

Edited by viibez
Ofp remark!