Sign in to follow this  
MarcusJClifford

Create a backup cd - how?

So thats what Clone XXL was for...

Well, I can't read GERMAN, and I won't wanna learn, so I'll just buy a new copy of OFP in case my current gets screwed...

BTW, for all you ppl who havent read the full thread...

ClonyXL/XXL is a program that searches for protection programs (in our case, FADE) and Instructs CloneCD how to Bypass those Programs (in other words, make the CD so that FADE won't detect that it is a burned copy)...the link to a copy of clonyXL is on the thread (if you haven't read it all)

WOW, that was long! tounge.gif

For those who are burning copies I have doubts as to whether it will work. OFP uses special security software encoded into the CD sub channels which can detect copies or not. It is in the Opflashpoint.exe and also in the patches that are released so they won't update if you don't own an original cd.

I believe 100% that you should be able to backup your belongings. As long as software is released on a media that is as easily vulnerable to damage as a CD is I will make a copy. I pay money for it once, and only once. BIS should respect that I think.

Same goes for how I use it in my household. If I wish to run it on two computers, I have already bought 1 copy, I will not buy another for the purpose of multiplayer. There is a very easy way to safeguard your cd from damage but I will not disclose it here as though it may be intended for honest purposes people can use it to pirate the cd.

Basically my CD is tucked safely away and I play from my HDD, this is done without using any cracks or modifying OFP files at all. It is the only way I am aware of that defeats fade.

As to how to go about this as I said I won't elaborate.

This CD copy protection stuff is foolish, people should be able to easily backup their property because they own it and have a right to protect it from damage or loss. The way to curb piracy is to lower prices of software so people won't turn to piracy so quickly. Why have a crap pirate version when you can have a nice new legit copy at a reasonable price?

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

I agree with the above points, and yes I have managed to copy OFP. It took 4 hours though! Fade wasn't triggered as it was a 100% copy of the CD, not just the data files.

I know, this is not A technical forum, but I just wanna know, If you were to DUAL-BOOT your system, how do you do it? (I have both 98 and XP FULL)

First off partition your drive, so you have a C: and a D: drive. You can use Fdisk or Partition magic.

Once thats done, install 98 onto one of the drives and set it up.

Next, boot from your XP cd and install it on the other drive. It should install a boot loader menu, which you will see when you boot your computer. From that menu you can select the OS you want.

Remember though, if you choose the NTFS file system for XP, when your in 98, you will not be able to see any of the data on the XP drive. If this is a problem, simply format the drive in the XP setup as a FAT32 partition.

Enjoy.....

I had a cd flashpoint cd that got damaged. It was only minor scratches on the outside edge of the cd, and after that the cd wouldn't work anymore. I think it must've been because of safedisc. I could intsall from the cd, but if I tried to play or upgrade the cd check would fail.

I had to send it back for a replacement, and in the end it cost almost as much as the original.

Original: $90 aud

Replacement total: $65 aud

Badgerboy-Thanks, but if I already have An XP OS installed before the 98, can I install 98, and then repair the existing XP OS (if such an option exists...???)?

And yes, My drive is already partitioned (into 3 logicals)

From the Codemasters software company limited sowtware license agreement:

Page 0.39 in the manual.

"... Codemasters grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Program solely for your personal use on a single computer."

Looks like you can't even lend the game to a friend.

"YOU SHALL NOT:

- Copy the program.

-... make availible to any other person the program, in whole or in part,...

-Reverse engineer... or derivate works of the program, in whole or in Part."

I think you shall not copy the program is pretty straight forward.

MY Manual say

YOU SHALL NOT:

* copy the program except a single backup copy

Hobo Sniper...

What the hell, give it a whirl, I'm pretty sure it'll be okay. A repair of the XP installation should detect the 98 and setup the boot loader for you.

As for the above threads. Most companies get pissed when you lend games out, but most allow a single backup. Its pretty much accepted.

I remember the good old days when you would grab a box, and read the specs on the back.....

........Single player 1 CD per player;

Multiplayer 1-8 players; 1 CD needed per LAN.

Now if that wasn't encouragement to buy a game I don't know what is!

As far as I know, it is law that you are able to make one back up copy of music and data type things, and it kind of upsets me that lately 50% of the games I have purchased have not allowed this. I understand that pirating is rampant, but I would rather not be stuck with the bill of getting a replacement copy of the software. If companies want to make it virtually impossible to back up your own property, they should either be willing to foot the bill of replacement, or create a non-volatile medium that can't be easily wrecked.

Granted, I have never had a CD-ROM fail on me, but probably 10% of my music ones are scratched at least a little.

Someone metioned earlier about the license agreement with CloneCD saying how u have limited ablities if your using it within the USA.  Well to get around it, change your computers settings to AFGANISTAN or some other 3rd world country and keep the language in English.  Install the program and tell it your in that other country as well.  Do the reboot the software asks for and then change your computer back (not CloneCD).  Walla the work around for a totally unlocked version of CloneCD.

I just use ClonyXL not XXL and haven't had any problems.

As far as the legit value of having OFP and backing it up.  I just install it from my original and then keep cracking the exe with the latest NO-CD patch.  They even patch these updates!  I'm up to 1.46 so far with no problems running on WindowsXP.

*link removed*

That's the best site for information on making backups and they also supply all kinds of no-cd cracks, patches, etc.  You'll spend a bit of time reading on there.

It's true, backing up this game takes like 5 hours, that's why I didn't do it, I just downloaded the no-cd and walla.

Besides if you actually bought a copy and lost it or it was damaged, just go on the newsgroups as OFP is posted along with just about every other peice of software!

*link removed*

*link removed*

If you don't know what newsgroups are, then ignore the above info, just go to *link removed*

-=medalian1=-

flashpoint.1.medalian1@spamgourmet.com

medalian1 links to warez/cracks are not tolerated, post anything like that again and your account will be deleted.

I didn't post a link to crack/warez. They provide information on how to LEGALLY backup your own software.

Oh well.

If someone needs help just email me.

*link removed*

This will help you make a copy of your game legally.

This message was posted from IP 193.251.147.251 as to make it easier for the moderator to ban me as I'm sure he will.

Thank you for your support.

say, gamecopyworld dude, I bet you have an illegal copy, don't you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gamecopyworld @ Mar. 14 2002,02:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thank you for your support.<span id='postcolor'>

Happy to oblige.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 14 2002,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Happy to oblige.<span id='postcolor'>

While I admire your intentions, the SLA in my copy of OFP Gold states: "YOU SHALL NOT: * Copy the Program except a single backup copy.

Frankly, if I had the right burner, I would have made a copy a long time ago and kept the original on some shelf far away from minors and chair coasters. smile.gif

Hmm perhaps you misunderstand, personally I have no problem with someone who has bought Opf making themself a backup copy to use so that the original CD (the most precious CD anyone can own) can be kept in pristine condition.

I'm now in the posession of a new cd writer myself which is currently one of only two models that is capable of doing a perfect 1-1 copy of games which use the latest safedisc 2.2 so I have thought about making a copy to use.

The reason I removed Gamecopyworld's posting rights is simply the fact that as I have stated a few times previously, links to cracks/warez and sites that host cracks/warez are not tolerated on the forums, I already edited a post of his to remove the links, then I come here and find he's posted them again even though he can clearly see a post from me saying that such things are not tolerated.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 14 2002,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm perhaps you misunderstand, personally I have no problem with someone who has bought Opf making themself a backup copy to use so that the original CD (the most precious CD anyone can own) can be kept in pristine condition.

I'm now in the posession of a new cd writer myself which is currently one of only two models that is capable of doing a perfect 1-1 copy of games which use the latest safedisc 2.2 so I have thought about making a copy to use.

The reason I removed Gamecopyworld's posting rights is simply the fact that as I have stated a few times previously, links to cracks/warez and sites that host cracks/warez are not tolerated on the forums, I already edited a post of his to remove the links, then I come here and find he's posted them again even though he can clearly see a post from me saying that such things are not tolerated.<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds fair.

So, once you've successfully created a backup CD that won't cause FADE to kick in, please post the detailed steps you peformed, so that others can do the same without searching for crack/warez sites.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

LOL well all I can say is buy a Liteon 24102B wink.gif