Sign in to follow this  
MarcusJClifford

Create a backup cd - how?

How do I create a backup copy of the original CD?

I want a backup incase the original cd gets scratched or dammaged.

The making of a single backup copy is legal isnt it?

Also what is/are the rules about number of cd's required for a LAN game? - One per computer or what?

You can't do it without triggering FADE on the backup.

Legality of it? Not sure, really.

1 CD per PC (for CD check), but after its loaded you can pull the CD out and start on the next PC smile.gif

If your original copy is damaged (which shouldn't happen in the first place, mind you), you should ask codemasters for a replacement (minimal fee).

You can make a backup copy of OFP.

Use a program called 'CloneCD'. Install this, then search on google for a program called 'ClonyXL'. Unzip this into the CloneCd directory and run it.

ClonyXL detects the copy protection and tells CloneCD how to copy the CD correctly. Using this method is very time consuming....it can take up to 5 hours to read and copy a CD, but its almost 99% successfull.

Give it a try, but if you don't have a valid CDkey (the one that came with your original copy!wink.gif then its useless. I backup ALL my software and this is how I copy the troublesome discs.

BTW. This is not a bloody warez thread! As you have an exact duplicate of your CD, its useless unless you buy a original version, and everyone is legally entitled to make a backup. The amount of money I've wasted buying replacements, or ordering new ones from the Publisher (Which is bloody expensive sometimes!wink.gif means I like to backup my collection.

I've never backed-up any game and I've never regretted. I make sure that my discs do not get scratched in the first place. Only sever scratches can cause data to become illegible.

I take it you've never had a CD-ROM go rogue on you! That scarred me for like! Not literally though wink.gif

It's just everynow and then, I remember the high pitched whine, the smoke, and the burning......I'm sorry....I can't go on.

..........and the bastards wouldn't replace my CD!

But I do lend my games out to my friends, and they always scratch the original. So they get a copy, and the originals are locked away in the cupboard....all shiny and new!

I've been gaming with CD's for hmm 8/9 years? Not once have I damaged a CD, and I throw them all over the place smile.gif

As for lending them to friend's and them damaging them, simple solution, don't lend them out, if they want the game they can buy it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 09 2002,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been gaming with CD's for hmm 8/9 years? Not once have I damaged a CD, and I throw them all over the place smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL You probably don't have young children either!

probably not. i've seen my friends house he got a few younger brothers. cds scattered all over the floor

I believe the way software copryright laws go, as long as a particular copy of a game is only ever running on one PC at a time, then no law has been broken. This means it is legal to create a backup copy of your CD. I don't see why, if this option is available, people should have to order a replacement CD from the manufacturer if the original becomes damaged. I'm not advocating piracy or warez, but a backup copy for personal use only is perfectly acceptable. And for the record, although it doesnt happen very often, yes, CD's can become damaged quite easily.

my ofp suddenly hjas a scratch on it...it runs the game fine but i cnat install with it... the fucking scratch is right on the data.pbo file so it sucks..i installed with a friends and run it with mine ;-)

and btw i try to take care of my CDs i have no clue how it scratched..my best guess is my little sister

What if you want to play a LAN game with say my brother. We had to buy 2 cd's and I think thats crap. Well not exactly for just a lan game but when we would play in the same internet games too.

I think that you should be able to have a single backup copy (thats not much to ask for...) for archival purposes (i.e in case your CD gets scrached)

BTW, Microsoft allows a single copy of their software...(yeah, I live in REDMOND,WA)

Hey, thats probably why its soo HUGE biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Mar. 09 2002,19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">search on google for a program called 'ClonyXL'.<span id='postcolor'>

...Its in GERMAN...

I can't get past those sites... sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Mar. 10 2002,18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Try this link.

It is available in English

http://people.freenet.de/Clony.eng/ClonyXLFinal_eng.zip<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks guy!

BTW, when I installed CloneCD, It told me that it was diasbling some feature(amplifying weak signals) because I lived in the US...what do you make of that?

I think its purely to do with the slight hardware and encoding differences in Europe and the US. CloneCD burns CD's depending on hardware specs.

BTW, if you check the log file it will display many error messages. Ignore them, this is normal. Depending on the difficulty of copying it might take several hours. Also try burning at lower speeds as its more reliable.

Just set it going and head to the pub smile.gif

Many thanks to all who responded.

I will try CloneCD with CloneyXL and post how it goes.

I normally dont backup cds, its just that OFP is such a good game and I play it so much that if any of my cds were to break it would be this one.

My normal way of breaking cds it to drop them, and when I push my chair back (on castors) it normaly runs over the cd and snaps it. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Mar. 09 2002,20:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe the way software copryright laws go, as long as a particular copy of a game is only ever running on one PC at a time, then no law has been broken. This means it is legal to create a backup copy of your CD. I don't see why, if this option is available, people should have to order a replacement CD from the manufacturer if the original becomes damaged. I'm not advocating piracy or warez, but a backup copy for personal use only is perfectly acceptable. And for the record, although it doesnt happen very often, yes, CD's can become damaged quite easily.<span id='postcolor'>

You have to read the user license agreement. It will say if you can make a backup copy or not. Some software allows it, others don't. I know I've never read one, they are way too long and make no sense, but I guess I am in a legal contract with the software company by installing there software on my computer. Guess not long from now we all will need to hire lawyers when buying software to understand excatly what we are getting ourselves into, "don't buy that game, you are legally bound to give up your fistborn for tech suppport, it's right here in the license agreement" lol

COLINMANAN

Making backups of your cds is in anyway legal (well, in denmark it is). Here its even legal to lend it to your friend which can take a copy of it. As long as its him who takes the copy, and its from an original cd. Its totally legal.

Are you sure? Under copywrite law the License Agreement, or End User Agreement is the legal contract you enter underwith the software maker. In it it spells out what can and cannot be done with the software. The software maker could make any loopy request it wants to in there. You the user agrees to this license when you install the software. If you then break this lisense, you are breaking a contract between you and the maker of the software. Most license agreements say you can make a backup copy for archival purposes, but if it says you can't, then you legally can't. Really I software company could request you have to wear a tutu and a rainbow wig when using there software if they state in their license. Not saying that it would stand up in court, but they could take you to court in the first place.

COLINMAN

Not if the license agreement counters the law in your state/country.

Anyway, its not like you can make 10 copys and sell out of it. Actually, it HAS to be your friend that is making the cds, you are not allowed to burn 10 copys and give them to your friend.

My two cents: I have young kids who get into everything and sometimes I find my CD cases rifled through and the CDs all over the place. Id copy my OFP if I had the chance. I copied my Combat Mission www.battlefront.com)'>(www.battlefront.com) CD and it saved me when it got cracked by a kid who stepped on it.

Making backup copies is-should-be legal, as long as you don't sell them...thats usually you get busted, and you end up in court biggrin.gif

BTW, I got an errer message that says that WNASPI32.dll not found...what does that mean? (I'm running winXP professional if that helps)

If it is ok to make a back up of OFP where do i get this CloneCD program?Is it in that google web site?I went there and i got about a million things listing that CloneCD thing.Kinda confused. confused.gif Thanks