Sign in to follow this  
MadsHilde

Best cpu for this game

I might have overheated and ruined my overclocked cpu here in the sommerheat. It's an Intel E8400 3.0ghz (oc'ed 3.9ghz)

If I am to have a new cpu, which one would fit this game the most? Is 4 cores the best, maybe?

Since you're on socket 775 I would get one of the better dual cores. I use a Q6600 and though it's a great CPU, it's acting as a dual core in most games. Not Arma 2, however, it uses all 4 cores 60%-90% depending on what's going on. I still think a well overclocked (and properly cooled) dual core or newer i7 is the way to go now.

yes get a quad core. A2 is cpu-bound, multi-core aware and will gobble cycles of all cores rather nicely at around 50-65%. hope all goes well!

I would say go for the Q9550. Its a great quad core cpu.

X2 and overclocks easily plus the 12 mb cache makes it faster than my q6600with all the same settings.

I got an i7, 920, i'm very happy with it, but i'm not sure Arma2 use it very well... :/

not a bad article.

it is no surprise that the more powerful cpu attains the highest benchmark in this cpu-bound application. it does not really prove anything. it is much like finding a cpu for a ray tracing application[1]

i fear that A2 is going to be used by some as a CPU benchmark application when in fact it is perhaps just an example of poorly written code.

[1] ray tracers do not use GPU

yes get a quad core. A2 is cpu-bound, multi-core aware and will gobble cycles of all cores rather nicely at around 50-65%. hope all goes well!

What proc do you have in that sweet Alienware? It is over-clocked?

I was going to get a Core i7 when I biuld my next computer as it performs the best but at £400 for the cheapest i7 I'm better off getting the AMD phenom II as its 30% slower than the top of the range £700 core i7 but at £170. best CPU is the best for your money and easiest to upgrade in the future.

I was going to get a Core i7 when I biuld my next computer as it performs the best but at £400 for the cheapest i7 I'm better off getting the AMD phenom II as its 30% slower than the top of the range £700 core i7 but at £170. best CPU is the best for your money and easiest to upgrade in the future.

I saw firsthand a Phenom II over-clocked to 6.3 ghz on liquid helium with NO cold bug . . .broke a world record that night (3dmark05 I think). That was at the Xtremesytems party at CES 2009. That proc is very capable.

If budget allows go for the 3570K (of course you'll have to replace mobo and ram as well). There is no point in getting something more expensive for arma as it will perform on par or worse.

Wow, replying to a 4 year old thread. You must be really bored. ;)

-Thread closed-