Sign in to follow this  
darkriku12

What is a good FPS rate?

Today I tried doing the benchmark mission in all different settings, and I noticed something. When I change all of my settings from Very High to High, it only raises 2 FPS (21 to 23). So I'm asking: What is a good FPS rate for this game?

A good minimum rate to shoot for is 30 but it's subjective to what you prefer.

It's not a twitch shooter so that's why i say 30 is OK (but not great).

What is perhaps more important than your average FPS is your minimum FPS, which can vary a lot depending on your hardware and OS (Vista/XP). Two people who are getting 30 FPS average might have a very different experience because the minimum frame rate of one player can be a lot lower than the other.

The higher the better obviously.. 60 FPS is wonderful :)

I've found that I still find the game very playable down to about 22/23 fps, any lower and it gets a bit sluggish. It feels best 25+, thats really what you should be looking at to get the best out of it.

Depends on you screen, and how close you are, but 24fps is genrally thought to be the base number for simulating smooth movement, though being closer will afect things, especially the flicker.

Most tft screens refresh at about 60Hz so any more FPS than that is a waste in most circumstances, so can healthily be sacrificed for other improvemnts.

If the split seconds really matter then higher framrates (as they often a sign of how quickly a games processing) can relate to reactions being a tiny bit quicker, but reactions that quicker are rarely that important.

A good minimum rate to shoot for is 30 but it's subjective to what you prefer.

It's not a twitch shooter so that's why i say 30 is OK (but not great).

What is perhaps more important than your average FPS is your minimum FPS, which can vary a lot depending on your hardware and OS (Vista/XP). Two people who are getting 30 FPS average might have a very different experience because the minimum frame rate of one player can be a lot lower than the other.

The higher the better obviously.. 60 FPS is wonderful :)

60fps is really minimum for fluid gaming, after 120 FPS you can feel the slowness of even 60 FPS. To gain full control over your mouse in ARMA you need to have over 100 FPS because of mouse smoothing bahh.

Less than 30 and I usually don't bother to play it.

Over 60 and I stop counting.

I play at 20-30fps - It doesn't bother me much, but if I were to play online I"d decrease some effects to increase fps + distance.

ive got almost everything maxed, except for shadows, distance and fillrate. i get 30fps alot of times in the beginning of rounds ill get around 40 or 50 but that drops a few mins later.

30 fps is ok

40 fps is great

Remember that 30 fps should only happen when theres lot of happening on screen. If it drops sightly under it will definitely effect your game experience.

Well if your monitors refresh rate is creater than 60Hz... then there is some sense having over 60fps.

Sorry to barge in with a question here (but it’s better to put it here than make a new topic) how do you get the fps display up?

I do not understand at all that so many people find 30 FPS comfortable. For me, 50 FPS is really the bare minimum. Below that, the choppiness just looks awful.

(And since I basically need to turn the graphics all the way down to get >50 FPS in ArmA 2 (even on my perfectly respectable machine), the game looks about as ugly as Ghost Recon 1 for me. :( )

its barely noticable at 30fps but 50 is always nice. oh yeah and dl fraps to get fps, pics, and video taking

Sorry to barge in with a question here (but it’s better to put it here than make a new topic) how do you get the fps display up?

use Fraps http://www.fraps.com/ you can see FPS, take screenshots and record videos

Ive found its not the amount of frames per second its the consistency that really makes a smooth playing game...if your fps is up and down like a yoyo it lags/jumps/stutters like crazy.Get a good solid fps of 25 and above and its gaming perfection!

use Fraps http://www.fraps.com/ you can see FPS, take screenshots and record videos

You could also get the 'TeamSpeak Overlay'. Besides showing all the details of the comms system and who's talking, it'll also show you the FPS, with no performance hit.

A good FPS in this game would be 30+... in most other FPS games you would want 40+ for smooth gameplay.

I find it really hard to aim and shoot with anything below 25fps.... unfortunatelly some parts of ARMA2 (such as towns) still kill the fps to below 25 for me and thats very annoying... its not a GPU thing... a CPU problem.

Yapa

It depends on what experience you aim for with the game.

Sure ArmA II is the most complex and realism orienantated infantry experience on the gaming market, but many many people still handle it like a scaled up Battlefield / CoD - especialy online.

When you want fast action duelling I would recommend a constant minimum 30 FPS.

As noted earlier it is not really the peak framerates that affect the gameplay but lagging due to texture streaming and such which causes the FPS to drop sharply for brief periods ( largely observable in urban - texture and object heavy - locations ).

However when you play the game as a cross arms simulator with coherent forces and players, the action will always be well planed and hopefully well orchestrated in progress aswell ( that needs a good CO logicaly ) you will be more then happy with a constant 20 to 25 FPS.

It might not feel fluid and flawless that way, but since the action will be paced slower and success more dependant on your ability to think 2 steps ahead in terms of tactical developement instead of a fast hand on the mouse and trigger, you should be doing just fine with these - in other games rather sloppy and hindering - framerates.

Also it depends on the role you fullfill on the battlefield.

Myself coming from flightsimming background, it is the helicopters that I spend my time with in most cases.

I luckily sacrifice 40 fps for 24-27 frames for a view distance of 6000 and high object drawing distance.

Not a problem at all even with the most risky NOE flying wich is much more challenging over Chernarus then it ever was over Everon or Sahrani due to cluttered and realisticly varied terrain.

60fps is really minimum for fluid gaming, after 120 FPS you can feel the slowness of even 60 FPS. To gain full control over your mouse in ARMA you need to have over 100 FPS because of mouse smoothing bahh.

Not true!!! but maybe on a poorly optimized system.I don't get any mouse lag or need to have the game at 60+fps to have good gameplay.

If you can get 30+ then it's perfectly fine like hunin said.

When you want fast action duelling I would recommend a constant minimum 30 FPS.

As noted earlier it is not really the peak framerates that affect the gameplay but lagging due to texture streaming and such which causes the FPS to drop sharply for brief periods ( largely observable in urban - texture and object heavy - locations ).

Why dont you all turn the FPS counters off and enjoy the game, its perfectly playable at 24fps!

To me this game needs and has to be fluid and i only have a fluid game up to 50 FPS.

vshadow use a 3rd party tool like ATI Tools or Fraps.

Why dont you all turn the FPS counters off and enjoy the game, its perfectly playable at 24fps!

quite true people that believe games are unplayable at less than 50 fps are people that a)don't understand how computers work and b)have serious bottleneck issues that are causing choppy/stuttering effects

My current solution for this is to buy a cheap Solid State "Hard" Drive, although useless for most other jobs, it's perfect for streaming content.

Seek times are .01-.03 ms as opposed to the 5.8-6.1 ms of a mechanical drive.

Install the game onto it's own RAMdrive. This could gain you up to 20FPS during streaming, and should also visibly remove the LOD loading.

Prices start at about £120. For games like Crysis and ArmA even the cheapest one should do.

They should package them with this game.

A good FPS rate is a stable FPS rate that doesnt annoy you. Turn off the FPS counters and start playing the game instead.

With an FPS counter 20FPS usually annoys me, but when i just play and let my eyes adjust to it i dont even notice it anymore after 10-15 minutes.