Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Arma 2 the last game to use this engine?

Well, considering you trash for example the AI enhancements as being nothing, well... can't help ya there, you must be right, then... [/sarcasm]

physics and animation are not the only thing that needed overhaul, IMO almost the complete engine have to have a huge overhaul to keep it up-to-date, also i wish BI spend a little more time to remove some long time engine limit so that more advance mods and addons are possible, really, i dont demand BI to help creat tank FCS or aircraft CCIP for dumb bomb or realistic FLIR or whatever if they dont want to, but atless make it so that addon makers can do it more easier

Well, considering you trash for example the AI enhancements as being nothing, well... can't help ya there, you must be right, then... [/sarcasm]

Have you played it yet... Try moving AI from one spot to another. Enhancments over ARMA yes, but overall? Ive seen so many UAV's / AI planes crash into trees its not funny.. come on while some aspects of AI have improved others stink.

Have you played it yet... Try moving AI from one spot to another. Enhancments over ARMA yes, but overall? Ive seen so many UAV's / AI planes crash into trees its not funny.. come on while some aspects of AI have improved others stink.

Are you sure they weren't shot down? The only time I've seen aircraft crash into the ground is when they were damaged or the pilot was killed.

Oh, I play it daily, and if I have a gripe about AI, it's its spotting ability too high. Overwall way better experience than A1. Thing is, I don't make them fly, not at all a core point of ArmA for me

Oh, I play it daily, and if I have a gripe about AI, it's its spotting ability too high. Overwall way better experience than A1. Thing is, I don't make them fly, not at all a core point of ArmA for me

How about driving? Is driving a core point? Like send you squad somewhere while you run another squad to that place and find that they are stuck on a indestrcutible toilet..

@ Maddog, UAV crashes 9 times out of 10 into the mountain in Razor Two SP. As for jets, it was AI going over "hill" not shot down as I was tracking it with the jav the whole way.

Or how about the super smart civilians? LOL Stroll through a battlefield like its church time, better yet keep running into each other on the road.

Anyway, its things that will get fixed with patches.. DONT get me wrong, I still like the game with all faults (used to them from Arma 1), but the engine is dated and as originally stated I think needs some redevelopment. End of the day BIS is in the business of making money, and when its commercially viable for them to redvelop or enhance the engine they will. I AM GLAD for arma 2, Arma and op flash, i don't want to count the hours I habe spent between these games... But from an outsider looking in, I may not be so forgiving for some of these bugs (BUT I know BIS have excellent support so its a matter of time :))

Meaningless to discuss such things at the moment. No matter how, games would be imporved much better in future time, brand new engine or not.

Meaningless to discuss such things at the moment. No matter how, games would be imporved much better in future time, brand new engine or not.

That in my opinion is anything but certain. Many core mechanics of OFP stayed the same in Arma and Arma 2 which might be an indication that BIS thinks they are ok as they are.

Many core mechanics of OFP stayed the same in Arma and Arma 2 which might be an indication that BIS thinks they are ok as they are.

BIS is a business. Decisions like these are not just goodwill, they have to make a finacial sense, BIS devs need to get paid too!

Hi S!fkaIaC

Sit down and do the math on what each calculation you wish to add per entity is.

Tell us how many calculations are involved in the "basic concept of the human body model" change compared to the current system in ArmA II

Then fire up a spreadsheet put in the figures and multiply by 1000 entitities. By the way I have run ArmA I with 3000 plus entities.

Now work out which number of calculations are required to sychronise a client in an MP game per frame.

Then multiply that by 100 players.

Tell me what the number is, your working out is required.

Kind Regards walker

So what? Still the same demand, if I would be know the solution, you would play now my simulation engine.

But it is a fact that if you want to really hide behind obstacles, you need a different model, just 3 generic positions and transitions between does not work.

the only thing that needs a major overhaul in arma is the physics and animation system. Everything else is pretty much fine.

Wether or not a new enginer is needed for that.. Well, only time will tell, but i doubt they will be creating a new one.

animation is not bad imo ..

animation is not bad imo ..

There's a total lack of many animations. Entering and exiting vehicles, buildings, external reloading, etc.

And they are eyecandy. I prefer real data such ballistics etc over how things look. Most sims have cut down graphics for data to be valid and real and for system to be able to run it. Look at most mil sims they look like shit but they behave realistic.

Add all that juice and cut down on the real data - or wait to we have better pc's and can support it all.

72;1315726']And they are eyecandy. I prefer real data such ballistics etc over how things look. Most sims have cut down graphics for data to be valid and real and for system to be able to run it. Look at most mil sims they look like shit but they behave realistic.

Add all that juice and cut down on the real data - or wait to we have better pc's and can support it all.

I don't buy it.

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it to? The processing power to show an entry animation is unlikely to be so massive that it pushes the game over the edge. We are also talking about years down the road in this thread, not now. The lack of such animations appears to be more of a holdover from the original engine rather than a lack of processing power in modern computers to make it happen.

The Eurogamer reviewer made some pertinent points about what needs to be addressed if BIS decide to make an Arma 3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/arma-ii-review?page=2

For those passionate about vehicular verisimilitude, there are fewer reasons for loyalty. While the planes and armour all look the part and are mostly a doddle to operate, under the skin the modelling hasn't moved on since OpFlash days. Tanks with hitpoints that can be whittled down by sustained small-arms fire, vehicles with no 3D interiors, aircraft that come without even crude representations of radar... if ArmA 3 doesn't address some of these shortcomings then the natives may start getting restless.

And if the inevitable third episode doesn't overhaul the obtuse interface there's also going to be trouble. Veterans will have no difficulty finding what they need amongst the mass of icon-shunning order menus, but newcomers are likely to have some sticky, frustrating moments. The fact that the number keys aren't used to select weapons or team members says a lot about the game's wilfully idiosyncratic approach to control.

Even if BIS decide to continue to focus on the infantry there is still large areas for improvement. I personally would have loved to see a context sensitive squad movement system similar to the one used in Full Spectrum Warrior (I suggested this in Arma 2 suggestion thread years ago). As well as other stuff such as house clearing orders and animations, better CQB for AI, etc.

Arma 2 is getting a lot of attention and praise right now but if reviewers themselves have noted whats wrong with the series (as the above quote illustrates) then BIS will have to address these problems for the next iteration (if they decide to make one) or risk stagnating the series. And the reviewers and even the community will become disenfranchised with that in my opinion.

Edited by _Colt_

72;1315726']And they are eyecandy. I prefer real data such ballistics etc over how things look. Most sims have cut down graphics for data to be valid and real and for system to be able to run it. Look at most mil sims they look like shit but they behave realistic.

But how do you explain the poor vehicle movement, and vehicle physics. Land vehicles are absolutely shit (Don't get me started on the sound, come on its the worst sound for vehicles i have ever heard), they add things like motorbikes, and pushbikes.. but they are so poorly implemented.. They add in more aircraft but they don't add in countermeasures.

I know the game is not just about "vehicles', but its detracts from the immersion and really makes me laugh when i drive one.. I especially love the motorbike, you go up a hill and it breaks, it doesn't even fall over when a tank hits it :P wish I had a bike like that!

Just to be clear, I'm in noway bashing BIS.

I just got ArmA2 and played through the first single player mission. It was one of the best gaming experiences, overall, that I've had. I'm really impressed by the friendly AI, in how they move and cover each other and the shooting and moving just feels right.

Back on topic, I think it's easy to blame places the game falls short on lack of processing power, but I think in some cases that's just not true. So many of the complaints today are things that are just holdovers from OFP:CWC that haven't been changed. BIS are limited in what they can do because they aren't a huge developer, so I applaud them for the product they put out, but I certainly think it will be possible in the future to have all the good points in Arma2 + complete animations, physics, etc.

What changes to the engine that takes will be up to the developers. Obviously ArmA3 will have to take big step foward when it comes out.

BIS are limited in what they can do because they aren't a huge developer, so I applaud them for the product they put out, but I certainly think it will be possible in the future to have all the good points in Arma2 + complete animations, physics, etc.

Wow, at last. With all the negativity around there I was wondering how A2 could be played and even get some good notations on the web!

Thank you for being balanced

People, you can suggest improvement and point out flaws without having to trash the whole product and hide any good point it may have. This whole "worst XXX implementation I've EVER SEEN IN ANY GAME" is really getting old. I call spoiled children! :)

Wow, at last. With all the negativity around there I was wondering how A2 could be played and even get some good notations on the web!

Thank you for being balanced

People, you can suggest improvement and point out flaws without having to trash the whole product and hide any good point it may have. This whole "worst XXX implementation I've EVER SEEN IN ANY GAME" is really getting old. I call spoiled children! :)

Get your eyes checked. I never did anything of the such. You must be confusing me with another poster in this thread.

If it weren't for VBS, a completely new engine would be feasible (whether it be worth the effort is another matter) but such is the nature of corporate-grade software that customers will only want to buy stuff that has been around for ages and has been tried-and-true. So, for better or for worse, we're all going to be stuck with the current engine until it becomes completely unfeasible to do anything more.

With all respect, you behave like a ....fanboy.

It is normal you do not mention things which are ok, you mention only things which are not ok to get them changed. Thats why I enter such a forum. If the game would be absolute perfect I would just drop one times a short "Thank you" and never show up again.

But you jump into every thread and tell us how wrong we are in our demands and how impossible our demands are. And you accuse us to make it just to have fun. YOU ARE WRONG. I would love to play ArmA 2 without any flaw.

So whisper, stop your negativity about someone who has a different view on A2 then you. Enjoy A2 if you can, I try as well. You have obviously more success.

It is normal you do not mention things which are ok, you mention only things which are not ok to get them changed. Thats why I enter such a forum. If the game would be absolute perfect I would just drop one times a short "Thank you" and never show up again.

And that is the exact reason why people like you are not welcomed with open arms here - because you have absolutely no interest in being part of the community. These are the community forums after all, not customer support forums. If you behave like a child and respond with name-calling ("fanboy") simply because someone is arguing against you, you really don't gain any sympathies.

You've probably noticed that most people on these forums are actually here to discuss the game, both the good and the bad sides, while sharing experiences and helping each other out. People who come to the troubleshooting forums with a genuine problem and manage to explain their situation properly will generally recieve assistance. Whining and ranting produces negative responses, because people just don't give a shit about how "angry" someone is or how much money they spent or what state they "demand" the game to be in when they buy it.

If you want to rage about how horrible you think the game is, take it to customer support. No one here gives a fuck. If you have problems that can be fixed, explain them in detail and in a civil manner, and people will try to help you.

And that is the exact reason why people like you are not welcomed with open arms here

1.) Errrm you speak in the name of all forum members?

2.) I did not expect to be welcomed, just to get some answers, rather by BIS then by a community member

because you have absolutely no interest in being part of the community. These are the community forums after all, not customer support forums.

3.) Being part of whatever with the penalty having to sing their song was never my thing. You are right. This is the only working platform to get sometimes into contact with BIS, forgive me that I abuse it in a way that it serves my needs. There are " A2 communities" where honest and open discussions possible and different opinions accepted.

4.) There is a troubleshooting thread that works. The troubleshooting threads of the publishers are also just community portals. Hence I rather take the short path.

You've probably noticed that most people on these forums are actually here to discuss the game, both the good and the bad sides, while sharing experiences and helping each other out.

5.) So do I, you just do not like my way and you have in some areas a different opinion. But guys like you and whisper are not able to accept any other opinion like yours and you try permanently to spread your opinion and view like a religion. That is why the sound becomes harsh.

In the end the threads looking like this harsh sound was directed against BIS.

But it is actually not true, it was directed against fanboy behavior.

Edited by S!fkaIaC

Taking this to PM to avoid derailing the topic any further.

All I want is an Engine that can maintain Good Graphics (ARMA 2 on High) and have all of its core gameplay mechanics and simulations nailed 120% and that can run at a constant 30 frames per second.

Right now at 1680x1050 on medium and high I can only get around 20 and it goes to 5 in cities, BIS needs to improve the LOD and Render cache sometimes I believe things way off in the distance and not visible to me are being rendered and sucking up my preformance.

BIS needs to fix the typos in there Engine and maybe enhance somethings like FSAA, animations, and physics.

I want a smooth running game before any improvements to the graphics, though some more Detailed Textures here and there wont hurt. :)

MY GPU: ATi 3650 HD 512MB

MY CPU: Q6600 AMD 3.4GHZ

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1200MHZ