Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Some of those less than awsome ArmA2 features

this game is rubbish!

it is slow, the motion blur is extremely annoying, it is impossible to do anything.

on the first mission for example, i was trying to plant explosives on that truck for 1o mins, it just wouldn't happen, or go up the ladder on it, just kept falling.

flying helicopters or planes is rediculous, it is so sensitive, one touch sends it crazy, it doesn't slow down.

i could go on but i am tired, i hate this game

Let me fix this so you don't sound like a troll, but more like a new guy who needs help and will be respected.

"Hey guys, this game looks really fun but I'm having some problems.

My game is running slow for some reason, and I don't really like the motion blur feature, is there a way to disable it?

Also, can someone explain to me how to plant satchel charges in or climb up ladders?

Anyone have any tips on how to fly in this game?

I'm tired so I'm going to sleep, thanks for any help guys."

He deserved to get flamed if he's just here to trash the game and not even look like a guy who is asking for help.

Well, Sith, when you are already here, might we get some illumination how BIS intents to improve some not so nice ways of ammo/armour handling?

Visions for ArmA III?

This video is of the only game I know that uses a true balistics to armor and internal components. It is the MMO Battleground europe. The video is old with out dated graphics but the mechanics are the same.

If ARMA could move away from the gamey "hit point" system and implement something like this, it would go a long way in cornering the market for being a true war sim.

This video is of the only game I know that uses a true balistics to armor and internal components. It is the MMO Battleground europe. The video is old with out dated graphics but the mechanics are the same.

If ARMA could move away from the gamey "hit point" system and implement something like this, it would go a long way in cornering the market for being a true war sim.

That's quite a damage system, and would be totally appropriate for ArmA2 :) thanks for posting that.

I absolutely agree that the armor system needs an update. Adding a damage-threshold type mechanic is a 'cost free' solution. While Arma2 will probably never become a TANK simulator; thats hardly the point.

- Ken

Seconded!

Can it be done via scripting now as a rough workaround? At least for small arms? Iirc you can now setdamage a specific section. Monitor the health of a vehicle, and setdamage the last value if it was caused by smallarms fire. Dunno really.

That's quite a damage system, and would be totally appropriate for ArmA2 :) thanks for posting that.

Thanks. Here is to hope the change it.

Thanks. Here is to hope the change it.

lol I thought about posting that

I'm guessing that half the reason why you are unlikely to see major improvements or alterations in ARMA2's damage system is simply a matter of competence.

That is not to say that BIS are incompetent, far from it. It means that to design a realistic tank-damage-engine takes a high degree of familiarity and know-how. Bohemia have yet to display such intricate knowledge or are unwilling to spend the CASH to buy it for their commercial endeavors.

Hence a facsimile, abstraction, or simplification that nevertheless emulates realism is more within reach.

- K

Edit: Cheers Cavendish.

Nick - There are cheap ways to simulate it though.

I've modded Warcraft3 for a year or two, and I made a very simple tank-damage system.

While it was far from advance (It only took direction, velocity, targets direction/velocity, explosive power, explosive type, armor type) it would calculate how much damage it'd do to the tank. The tank was split into 6 sections (split in the middle, and 2 ways horizontal)

Each "segment" had a different armor amount, a greater chance of deflecting the round. If the round was deemed successful at entering, that segment might do extra damage from stored munitions. I could even stop the tank from moving, if they hit the engine or the tracks.

These are what each "segment" had in it.

Armor_Type = test01 //Type of armor

Armor_Size = 20 //(how thick it was)

Armor_Deflection = 2 //(the bigger the number, the greater the chance of deflecting it, and the bigger the angle it could deflect)

Munitions = true //Due to debugging at the time, I simply had this a set number. Easily changed though

Fuel = false //Once again, debugged so it's a simple Boolean. Actual equation had amount of fuel, which the engine could use up based on 3 second intervals

Engine = false //Include both tracks and engine

But it only worked on the X and Y plane - no z. But it still worked well enough for wc3, compared to the simplistic armor in arma2.

Seems like tank hits are insta-kills anyway.

Edited by Windexglow

arma 2 rocks yea but why are the cars so slow off road this is some thing that buged me alot in arma 1 come on bis i will even give you the lines of code that is needed to make cars fasr off road

maxSpeed=300;

acceleration = 150;

terrainCoef = .0

come on bis i can run faster than the cars that are off road????????

pls fix this allmost make driving pointless in this game and because you find your selff driving alot in this game i think you shuld be able to go faster off road.

dont let bugs from arma 1 in to arma 2.

Speak to maddogx, he's the guy who remade the damage system for vehicles in arma 1, it f***ing awesome, it was called (fx mod).

You should be ablw to find his account on this forum :)

If you want help looking for him, let me know, ive already contacted him myself about his mod :)

Here is a link i think you would find very interesting, its actually a thread maddogx started about his new vehicle destruction mod for arma 1. :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=56322&highlight=effect

Edited by Flarmapoint 2

WHO'S MADDOGX HE SOUNDS LIKE a DOLT LOL.

yeah, it's worth reading through the whole thread.

I think it's not a know how problem, but more a system requirments problem.

With full realistic damage model we would need extremely powerfull systems.

Ah well, maybe when Arma 3 comes we will have 8 and 16 core machines

with 16/32 gig ram and a 4 gig vram DX11 videocard :bounce3:

With full realistic damage model we would need extremely powerfull systems.

Define more precisely "full realistic" and "extremely powerfull".

All is relative, especially over the time.

BGE is from technology point of view pretty old, but with VERY impressive results. Leaving beside the old graphics it is pretty nice.

And the damage model is the lower minimum I expected in OFP and ArmA1 already.

A question I figured I might just as well ask in this topic.

Do bullets penetrate vehicles as well, when they''re sufficiently powerfull?

Could, shooting at, lets say, a Black Hawk helicopter with a M2 machine gun result in the deaths of some unfortunate passengers?

Well, the doors are always open IIRC and you can shoot through glass, so in a way yes.

Define more precisely "full realistic" and "extremely powerfull".

All is relative, especially over the time.

BGE is from technology point of view pretty old, but with VERY impressive results. Leaving beside the old graphics it is pretty nice.

And the damage model is the lower minimum I expected in OFP and ArmA1 already.

Agreed.

Once you play a game like battleground europe that has damage models, games that use hitpoints because less attractive to play.

arma 2 rocks yea but why are the cars so slow off road this is some thing that buged me alot in arma 1 come on bis i will even give you the lines of code that is needed to make cars fasr off road

maxSpeed=300;

acceleration = 150;

terrainCoef = .0

come on bis i can run faster than the cars that are off road????????

pls fix this allmost make driving pointless in this game and because you find your selff driving alot in this game i think you shuld be able to go faster off road.

dont let bugs from arma 1 in to arma 2.

I guess it is lowered since everyone would nail the equipment through the environment without any care. You COULD drive faster, but equipment would in reality get broken after a short time not talking about the poor passengers.

Consider following:

- Map surface is not very detailed. In reality there are much more obstacles that would break the vehicle

- driving does not cause damage to infantry in cargo (only if you crash an obstacle) In real life, nailing a truck with 12 infantry men over kilometres through the wilderness would not deliver a combat-ready squad at destination, just bloody scrambled meat would flow off the cargo area.

Hence it is ok to "force" to slower driving until BIS is able to simulate damage to passengers in a more realistic manner.