Sign in to follow this  
p75

MK12 (m4spr) and aiming

Is it just me or are the shots from this rifle all over the place. I select a sniper and crate in the editor, but can't hit shit. If I fire on exactly the same spot over say 400 meter it is all over the place. Do I need to select a different soldier class? Or character? Anyone?

Sounds like a classic case of FADE my friend. If your copy isn't legit, then that's the problem. If it is, it could be something else, or FADE still activated on a legit copy, as it sometimes does.

Soldier class has no bearing on weapon accuracy. In ArmA1 as well the MK12 was hardly accurate, nearly identical to M4/M16 performance. The superior optics only exaggerate the effects.

In real life and in some of the better mods, M262 magazines of 20-rounds accuratized ammo is used which helps the MK12 a lot. Ultimately it is an M4, designed to be a hybrid mix between a battle rifle and a dedicated marksman's rifle (e.g. M24 or M21.) Expecting M21 or M24 performance out of the MK12, even perfectly modeled, is asking for disappointment.

I doubt it's FADE.

Hi,

My copy is legit, I don't know what this is, the other rifles have it in smaller proportions, it is just frustrating. As for fade, I don't experience anything which would point me into thinking I have that running. I do however have virtual cd drive installed.

Is anyone experiencing the same as me? Or are all snipers and mk12 responsive for you guys?

If you only have this problem with zoomed scope, it could possible be because zoom and hold breath is tied to the same key or mouse button. Try to delete or reassign hold breath.

It may also be an optical illusion by the smaller fov the scope gives you.

Hi, i think that it must the dispersion of the 30 or 20rnd_556x45_stanag magazine, in the

ArmA the SPR it's also a weapon that makes harder to HOT, i preffer any ACOG sighted AR

than the SPR, i find it easyer to HOT with it at least 'til the 600m. Let's C ya

Is anyone experiencing the same as me? Or are all snipers and mk12 responsive for you guys?

What do you mean by "snipers"? Do you mean sniper rifles or do you mean sniper class men units? Like I said, the men unit class has nothing to do with aiming performance.

While this is probably not the only issue, you should probably check your controls and reassign your "Hold Breath" key to something other than the optics key. If you hold breath for more than a few seconds your aim gets very bad, but that would be visible as scope shaking. It is a stupid decision on BIS's part to force you to asphyxiate yourself while trying to maintain the SPR's "extra zoom."

As for it being inaccurate, I doubt it's just you. It was a joke in ArmA1 and it's likely unfixed for ArmA2. The accuracy is built into the ammo and magazine configs and since this is the exact same ammo and magazines as the M4/M16 rifles, the accuracy of the SPR suffers.

So, what you are saying is that the MK12 is a piece of shit programming wise because it is related to the ammo and magazine? My hold breath is hold right mouse click. Any suggestions or is it just a case to accept? Which I hope it is not.

You can press the numpad 'plus' key to zoom in without trying to kill yourself.

Why would you need a Virtual DVD rom drive to run the game? It's impossible i believe because of securom. Are you using an unofficial noCD patch? That will activate FADE.

Anyways the Mk12 is fine for me, although you can't shoot as far with it as you can a sniper. So your saying a sniper rifle is unresponsive for you also? I can plave a sniper (M107) on one side of the Utes runway, and set up 2 targets on the other side of the runway, and i can hit them each with no problem. Again if you can't, more than likely you have FADE activated, which means you may not have a legit copy. You can send your CD-Key to Placebo for a legit key check.

Why would you need a Virtual DVD rom drive to run the game? It's impossible i believe because of securom. Are you using an unofficial noCD patch? That will activate FADE.

Anyways the Mk12 is fine for me, although you can't shoot as far with it as you can a sniper. So your saying a sniper rifle is unresponsive for you also? I can plave a sniper (M107) on one side of the Utes runway, and set up 2 targets on the other side of the runway, and i can hit them each with no problem. Again if you can't, more than likely you have FADE activated, which means you may not have a legit copy. You can send your CD-Key to Placebo for a legit key check.

No offense, but did you read what I wrote? I said I have a legit copy. I have however got virtual cd installed.

And no, fade is not active, I've played for hours and hours already.

So, MK12 spoken, you zoom, hold breath and fire, wait a few seconds not moving the mouse and fire again, the bullet hits the opposite direction. Is that the wind? The M24 snipes good, the M107 I find is abit less. I'll reassign the keys, see if that helps.

Edited by p75

So, what you are saying is that the MK12 is a piece of shit programming wise because it is related to the ammo and magazine? My hold breath is hold right mouse click. Any suggestions or is it just a case to accept? Which I hope it is not.

It's a combination of things, bad programming, inadequacies in the design of the original weapon, psychological issues associated with the optics, and possibly some control issues associated with breathing.

The real M4SPR does not have the levels of dispersion that the in-game weapon exhibits with proper ammo. It may be correct that the weapon has such poor accuracy firing standard issue magazines (unlikely though), but the real weapon would normally be fired with special ammo. However, the real weapon might not have the actual accuracy to match your expectations.

The M4SPR has I believe a 8, 10, or 12x sight which exceeds the ACOG's 4x by a wide margin. The extreme zoom exaggerates the psychological impression that the bullets are highly inaccurate.

If you are using hold breath too much it will make the weapon sway, causing the crosshair to move. Sway does not effect bullet dispersion though. I suggest that you bind "Hold Breath" to another easy to reach but otherwise unused key such as space bar (moving command mode off space bar to R_Alt). This is what I have done.

I tested a lot of weapons when i tested ARMA2 and i thaught they were very accurate. Even the weapon in question. Remember running, holding breath too long, injuries and "fear" from supression will add more sway and thus make your shot pattern wider.

Alex

Sounds like a classic case of FADE my friend. If your copy isn't legit, then that's the problem. If it is, it could be something else, or FADE still activated on a legit copy, as it sometimes does.

but how the hell do you find out if it is active on a legit copy.

i have seen some weird stuff happening on my copy which is legit and i d really like to know if fade has kicked in.

this is the worst copy portection ever imho. it should tell me if it is active, especially when it influences game play and all. i have some weird aim issues as well and i d like to know if i just suck or if it is fade.

Grab an M16 with am ACOG (team leaders have em). Look through the sights and shoot something (building or guy) about 50 meters out. If your bullet is way off fade is active. Yes it sucks.

I think FADE make your aim worse with time. Like bit off at first and then worse and worse. So if it gets really crappy in a week? or so then it might have kicked in. But i heard about people with cracked ArmA1 where the bullets went completely right and left out the weapon LOL! "My weapon shoots left and right this game sucks"... Eat that MoFo. :D

If it happens on a legit copy it would be very sad ofcourse. Sure your not just comparing ARMA to other simpler shooters though? Not implying anything just asking. Cause real weapons do have dispertion.

Alex

I use an MK12 in game (weapon of choice) and I also have Virtual CloneDrive installed. I also use the noblurb and the English mods and I do not experience any copy protection issues. My shots are "dead on" even at great distances. If Fade was activated you WOULD know. Trust me, It announces itself "Original games do not fade" and lets you know that the game you have has been degraded. If you are experiencing "Fade like" symptoms the best thing to do is uninstall; check yourself clean the drive and do a defrag then reinstall.

If it is not really that obvious and this is a bug then perhaps we need a program that checks for Fade activation? Or a more obvious "switch" in the game that puts a huge watermark over the game menu?

Edited by pchaxor

well thats the thing .. occasionally i get the german equivalent message of Original games do not fade when i connect to MP servers. how can this be?? or is this server side maybe?

No that means your copy has been comprimised or is pirated. (even though you say it isn't, this is the internet and people aren't always honest on the net heh?) If you want to "try it" wait for the demo to be released or go buy the game when you can. You wont regret it. - 7 year vet here :D no regrets.

If you are legit ...

Verify your installation. Uninstall, clean up the folder, and do a good defrag then reinstall and activate. If you have virtual drives loaded it would be a good idea to unload and disable them. (That is not Fade that doesnt like virtual drives, fade doesn't do that.)

Also .. a tid bit --- it is not Fade anymore. That name is owned by CM. I think CM had rights to the name, but had to change code since the "Fade" code belongs to BIS. (Along with the OFP name)

I am not sure what BIS calls it, but mentioning the word Fade I am sure triggers alarms at the BIS Moderator Security stations.

TWBL soon.

Edited by pchaxor

i have the petersgames download version and yes it was bought and paid for. i have the receipt as proof. so please spare me the "you are a pirate" crap.

will try a fresh install. very annoying.

It announces itself "Original games do not fade"

I had this message in Arma1, once, during online public gaming. I never noticed anything 'fade like' kicking in though and I could play on like nothing happened. Naturally I have an original, with no modified filed (except using addons in mods folders), so my question is:

Q: What can trigger fade beyond the obvious? Was my key compromized due to hacking or something?

If you weren't kicked from the server, it could have been another player who triggered the message.

DMRs are a great middleground between MK12s and M24/M40. Semi-auto, 20 round mag, 7.62x51, range of 600-800m.