Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

If it was indeed a straight port from consoles I would expect an interface very much streamlined for a gamepad and some really quirky fixes for keyboard/mouse. However, that is not what I see.

This is my default config:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=2;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1059127296;

nonlocalVRAM=1475932160;

winX=0;

winY=0;

winW=1920;

winH=1170;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1200;

I have no issues whatsoever, the game runs smooth so far. I will not sacrifice eye candy for FPS since it runs ok (not awesome, but ok) on my rig (average 26-30fps):

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 4Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, TrackIr 3+Vector, X45 stick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, MS sidewinder, Samsumg 24" 245bw. os: Vista 32 bit business.

I'm satisfied with my purchase, the more I play it, the more I get hooked.

Thanks Bohemia Interactive.

PS: Hopefully it can only get better with patches down the road :bounce3:

veryhigh.jpg

Cheers:cool:

Edited by Moose_Qc

your getting 26-30fps on that scene above? If that's the case the campaign and multiplayer will be a slide show. Or do you get higher FPS in this carrier scene?

your getting 26-30fps on that scene above? If that's the case the campaign and multiplayer will be a slide show. Or do you get higher FPS in this carrier scene?

So far the campaigns are ok, no lag so far :D As for MP, no issues as well. But for MP only tried one server and I had a 32 of ping on that session...

True I might see issues down the road, but so far so good...

Edited by Moose_Qc

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=2;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1059127296;

nonlocalVRAM=1475932160;

winX=0;

winY=0;

winW=1920;

winH=1170;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1200;

I have no issues whatsoever, the game runs smooth so far. I will not sacrifice eye candy for FPS since it runs ok (not awesome, but ok) on my rig (average 26-30fps):

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 4Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, TrackIr 3+Vector, X45 stick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, MS sidewinder, Samsumg 24" 245bw. os: Vista 32 bit business.

cheers:cool:

picts in chernarus woods, or it didn't happen ! :o

this carrier scene, is NO WHERE NEAR what a forest fight near big city is demanding to GPU & CPU.

pointless :)

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=2;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1059127296;

nonlocalVRAM=1475932160;

winX=0;

winY=0;

winW=1920;

winH=1170;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1200;

Cheers:cool:

Could this be running smooth because you run in windowed mode with a nvidia card? what driver version are you using?

i have Q9550, gtx260 and 6 gb and i get 80 fps in the carrier scene and 20 - 30 fps in MP.. SP is more like 15- 25 fps

And i have half your settings (normal instead of vhigh), but i run fullscreenmode. i've read somewhere that nvidia could run smoother in windowed mode.

omg.. if you run 30fps with those settings in the woods with a battle going on i will be so jealous!

Edited by Comm512

If it was indeed a straight port from consoles I would expect an interface very much streamlined for a gamepad and some really quirky fixes for keyboard/mouse. However, that is not what I see.

Yup, thats why I kinda shot down my own idea mid post :p although it runs like a port... At least... For me... New ram comes today!...:yay::yay::yay:

4gb Ram performance improvements are nil

Game still gives me terrible performance and the game has now been removed from my computer.

I don't expect a patch anytime soon so I'm going to talk to my local game shop where I bought it about a refund as I considered a faulty product as it does not run properly no matter what settings I use no matter what upgrades I make no matter what I bloody do so...I hate to say it but I'm abandoning this game until I get 120% confirmation that it bloody works.

I know this can been seen as me being an arse about things but someone has to make a stand against developers that release half completed games.

I made this stand with Far Cry 2 and got my £50 back and hoped I wouldn't have to make another move like this but this is truely worse than Far Cry 2.

Albeit FC2 could not be finished on the X360 due to a bug most players encounted but this game can't even really be started so...eff it...

I'll keep my eye on the forums incase I can help with anything but this game is going back for a cash refund.

Masterfragg (Refuses to play the waiting game like he did with Armed Assault)

PS

Sorry BIS but most of us have been dedicated fans since Operation: Flashpoint. Back in 2001 these problems were forgivable due to the size of the game and our 500mhz PIII CPUS and our Nvidia Riva 128 16mb/Geforce 4 MX440 128mb graphics cards. Now days with Quad Core CPU's and our 4GB+ RAM and our GTX 280 graphics cards these issues are far from acceptable.

I have a lot of love loss for the company and I respect that this game is made by a relatively small company but that means you guys should be releasing pure GOLD to compete with the big boys not pure GOLD buried deep in horse shit.

...buried deep in horse shit.

I hear that good things grow out of shit ;) - aka the philosophers stone ;)

I'm very sure BIS are up to their necks in code making this thing better each day - it is a pity that they won't address a few deeper issues that have plagued the game for some time (like getting into a helicopter online with someone with a *huge* ping ;)

Ah, well, time for my afternoon prayer for patch 1.3 ;)

I hear that good things grow out of shit ;) - aka the philosophers stone ;)

I'm very sure BIS are up to their necks in code making this thing better each day - it is a pity that they won't address a few deeper issues that have plagued the game for some time (like getting into a helicopter online with someone with a *huge* ping ;)

Ah, well, time for my afternoon prayer for patch 1.3 ;)

I gave up on prayer when I was praying for my Phenom II to make any kind of difference to performance lol

To be honest I haven't really given Multiplayer much thought... It runs acceptable in MP I guess but anything short of 60 you know when you take scripts and mods into consideration a 60 fps will drop to a steady 30 fps...

So a steady 30 will end up crapped out... But hey at least I'll recoup some money I've spent on upgrading lol I've decided next I'm upgrading my motherboard and getting a soundcard rather than intergrated anyone got any advice on sound cards on a budget?

Steam is not letting me return as there giving me the runaround about 3rd party vendors. I think I am done buying games from online as it has been more headache than just going to store to get a copy of whatever. Now I have been double screwed. I should have just waited for the North America release that way I could get the game at a huge retailer and have no headaches in returning it.

Was watching a OFP2 video and there game seemed like it was lagging too, but it most likely will not have the huge flucuations in frames as Arma2 does. I will buy this game at wal-mart or target in a year or so and try it then. This is if OPF2 comes out so horrible I have to.

Steam is not letting me return as there giving me the runaround about 3rd party vendors. I think I am done buying games from online as it has been more headache than just going to store to get a copy of whatever. Now I have been double screwed. I should have just waited for the North America release that way I could get the game at a huge retailer and have no headaches in returning it.

Was watching a OFP2 video and there game seemed like it was lagging too, but it most likely will not have the huge flucuations in frames as Arma2 does. I will buy this game at wal-mart or target in a year or so and try it then. This is if OPF2 comes out so horrible I have to.

Well I've been playing codemasters games since the Amstrad CPC 464 days (ahhh the days of 64k ram :eek:) and I've never really had any issue with any of their games, fair do's some of their games are just boring and some are just pure ugly (Fuel for instance) I've never had a technical hitch with them.

The story goes that OFP2 uses a modified GRID engine apparently (I thought it was a modded DiRT engine) but going by what I have read the GRID engine has already been multi-core optimized for GRID it's self so not too many worrys there.

Admittingly OFP2 looks a little more arcade like or Battlefieldy but to be brutally fucking honest as long as it runs I couldn't give two shits if its fun to play.

Looks better graphically than Arma 2 looks to have better AI from videos (But we don't trust them do we? after Half-Life 2 E3 movie 2003 or 04?) and a 35km view distance sounds bloody awesome.

Blow a car up and it'll actually smoke for hours apparently.

But if there is no mod support and/or mission editor it'll be an instant fail for the OFP/Arma fans as lets face it...BIS stock missions/units have lacked somewhat flare haven't they?

Thats the thing that bugs the hell outta me the models in Arma 2 kinda suck with as someone pointed out unjoint verts and the like, the building destruction model is still quite bad (although better than Arma 1 and definately better than OFP lol) I mean the fucking hands still don't move on the STEERING WHEEL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...BASIC animations! People still POP into cars which is bullshit as this is a "Realistic Simulation of Combat"...

Well if it's so bloody realistic why am I about to shoot someone getting in a car and bang!!!....The person just disappears into the sodding thing?!

Everything about the game is kinda half empty...The only reason I played the old games were mods and multiplayer really...But I'm kinda outta the MP scene at the moment and just want to piss about on single player.

But with all the games failings they screw up with a poor performing engine!!!

I'm actually finding it quite amusing...

By the way I actually took back my copy of Arma 2 and got a £24.99 refund in cash.

But my point is...Arma 2 has pretty much failed to deliver on every single front yet still earned a 8/10 in Eurogamer.net review...How did that happen??

When I review a game say...Fallout 3 example I started the review saying it was an 8/10 but after some game killing GAMEBREAKER bugs I gave it a 5/10 because rather than fantastic it was just average due to bugs...

Reviewers need to be more harsh nowdays and performance should always come into account. If the reviewer had to OC his work computer when it really was THAT high spec considering and still only got "good" performance I'd take score off as it wasn't accessable to everyone that might buy it.

Rant over.

Just got Windows 7 beta back installed I wish I had tested performance on it properly before it was taken back to the shop but I'm guessing uh...27FPS all the time forever and ever and ever and ever :j:

NVIDIA OWNERS! Set

Max pre rendered frames to 8 in the advanced 3d settings for global or ArmA 2. This improves performance vastly. Discovered by some guy in another thread.. arhghh

1245968607Capture.PNG

Actually this makes it worst for me...

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Could this be running smooth because you run in windowed mode with a nvidia card? what driver version are you using?

Full Screen with Nvidia 186.18 drivers

What video memory setting should i be using with 895 (or so) MB's of RAM on my vid card?

when i set it to default it stutters, when setting to very high it drops in fps

when i set it to high it is somewhat stable and higher fps than any other setting

but i though that high was only using 512.. so i have ~300 to spare

how could i get the game to use it all?

What video memory setting should i be using with 895 (or so) MB's of RAM on my vid card?

when i set it to default it stutters, when setting to very high it drops in fps

when i set it to high it is somewhat stable and higher fps than any other setting

but i though that high was only using 512.. so i have ~300 to spare

how could i get the game to use it all?

There is information in this guide in the earlier pages in how to set your graphics memory settings via config (.cfg) file.

Check it out.

i have an nvidia 295 gtx, and i find that running with the hdmi cable makes the game jerky? but rinning the game without it, it runs fine ???????????

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

i have an nvidia 295 gtx, and i find that running with the hdmi cable makes the game jerky? but running the game without it, it runs fine ???????????

so i hear the game runs better in windows 7. how do i get windows 7 and what do i need to do to install it? anything special?

have 6gb

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

corei7 920 @ 3.2ghz

6gb ddr3

1tb hdd

gtx 295

rampage gene micro atx motherboard

64bit if you have more than 4gb of ram

Fixed typo.

I basically sold the guts (board, CPU and RAM) out of my machine so that I could upgrade without killing my pocket. I contradicted myself in doing this because i refused to upgrade. In reality I spent 100 bucks after selling my old stuff.

New Specs

AMD Phenom X2 550 @ 3.1ghz

Patriot DDR3 1600 Ram Gaming Edition

500 GIG 16MB Cache Western Digital HDD

500 Watt Antec PSU

ATI HD4890 1GIG DDR5 256-bit OC @ 930/1150

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P 790FX North Bridge/SB750 South Bridge

Previous specs

AMD X2 6400+ @ 3.2ghz

A-Data DDR2 PC800

500 GIG 16MB Cache Western Digital HDD

500 Watt Antec PSU

ATI HD4890 1GIG DDR5 256-bit OC @ 930/1150

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H 780G North Bridge/SB700 South Bridge

With the old PC specs I was getting 26 FPS average between Arma2 Demo benchmarks. The new one is giving me 40 sometimes 41 average. At the lowest I had 37 averages.

My CPU is dual core but my board had the ability to unlock 2 extra cores on the CPU (reason I bought this one). I did that and re-ran the bench and to my surprise no change. It was still around 40. I went into the game and with everything on high I was getting like 5 to 8 more fps average than with the dual core. I actually did a whole mission without going below 30 FPS believe it or not (Trial by Fire). On average with the new machine I have about 35 to 40% performance gain.

When I was shopping for upgrade parts I told myself I was going to buy a really good motherboard. The RAM and CPU I went more budget than performance. I am really happy I bought a better board and feel maybe the cheaper end boards create bottlenecks you otherwise wouldn’t see in a quality board. If I am wrong please correct me I will edit my post.

Game Settings

Resolution - 1920 * 1200

Fill rate - 100%

Draw Distance - 3600

AF - HIGH

AA - OFF (This makes my game blurry / reminds me of GRAW)

Texture, Texture Memory, Object Detail, Terrain Detail - VERY HIGH

Shadows - HIGH

Post Processing - HIGH (not sure why nobody likes this the blurry feel when running to me make the game more challenging and realistic, just my 2 cents)

Overall after the upgrade I am pleased with the games performance. Now if they fix the building performance robbing characteristics I will get even more FPS. When I get some money I’m going to get like a 80 gig Raptor drive and install my games on it. I think the hiccups i get in game is HDD lag. Other than that I am happy. It is a shame in every aspect that this game cannot run medium on recommended specs. My previous spec exceeded the recommended and I was unable to play the campaign. Even the Trial by Fire mission would drop below 20 frames.

if you push the issue hard enough with them.. they will refund, I brought a game called damnation, I was starting to download it, when I start to see bad review. I push them to refund it.. and they did.

I was in the middle of pushing them to refund AArm2 game, because I could not get it to work and I wanted them to sent me a cd or refund my money and I will go buy the CD,until they told me to try this one solution.

It all depends on how you are wordings the issues to them.. The language i used, was written in a context like this, when they were pushing back.

"You are requiring people who are purchasing the game via digital download to use your technology and platform.

You are acting, not only as a retailer, but also as a service provider. You made not be the maker, still your technology is part of the overall offering. If you were acting strictly as a retailer, I would still expect the same rights/refund polices that are typical of a brick and mortar location in regard to returning products and refunds as part of any reputable vendors who customers are important to them, the ability to exchange, refund or replace as part of their standard policy.

To have a no refund/return policy, where the products/services because of design, defects, technical, or failures issues which are beyond this customer control- such policies will conflicts, deprive or limited the customer's rights to received or obtained any economic value/benefits for their monetary consideration and could be in violation of certain UCC, States or Federal statures, regulations and laws.

Especially, when your organization has direct control on all economic benefits, values and transactions relating to the selling, marketing, services and distribution of such products through your services, in return for the customers monetary consideration, where such monetary consideration are made directly to your company."

Also, I used paypal, which have a resolution policies, if you use a cc, you can filed for a chargeback

Edited by blkjag