Sign in to follow this  
_Cappa

ArmA2 Media Blowout Twitter Q&A

Guest RKSL-Rock
Ok, so basically other than the increased movement precision and scripted supressive fire the a.i. is.. the same? :confused: .

I had hope that supressive fire was implemented into their routines and that they would know when to deploy supression (as in covering fire).

No not at all. The Ai is more aware. They dont seem to struggle walking down the streets anymore. They also move tactically now using cover and react better under fire. And they no longer "flock" like birds when moving around open gorund. And when you fire on them they dont just stand there scratching their arses. They drop and react a bit more realistically. The FSM side of things now work so they dont always behave the same way everytime either.

They ARE better. And combined withthe logic modules available to mission makers now they should be pretty impressive in a fire fight.

Do they still perform suicidal 1 on 1 engagements? (2, engage that machinegunner, 3, engage that officer, 4, fall back to formation, etc, etc) or do they perform, engage and flank like a real squad?

Judging from the demo missions they showed us and the AI behaviour we observed they arent as stupid as they once were. They did look far more impressive thant ArmA1 equivalents.

As i've already said a few times in other posts, we didnt have a huge amount of time to do specific tests. We had so much to look at it with not much time it was hard to set up specific test scenerios.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Alright, alright, thanks Rock.

I'll see how they do when the demo arrives :) .

A couple of more questions if they were noticed:

1) Did you get the chance to check out the ballistics, both for rifles and rocketry? Did they appear realistic. If so, how can you use a sniper rifle without any drop compensation?

2) Is Arma2 more unforgiving than Arma1 in terms of bad pilotage? I.e. will a chopper chrash instead of magically land itself if you bail out, or be destroyed if you 'land in trees' instead of just being tossed around a bit?

Edited by CarlGustaffa
Spelling

Guest RKSL-Rock
A couple of more questions if they were noticed:

1) Did you get the chance to check out the ballistics, both for rifles and rocketry? Did they appear realistic. If so, how can you use a sniper rifle without any drop compensation?

Taken fromt he article: "I did try some small arms but not to the extent I could write a proper review. We're also told that the ballistic system has been improved and the data taken from real world sources. Its going to be interesting reading what the forums experts make of it."

2) Is Arma2 more unforgiving than Arma1 in terms of bad pilotage? I.e. will a chopper chrash instead of magically land itself if you bail out, or be destroyed if you 'land in trees' instead of just being tossed around a bit?

I dont think its any different. Infact it may be less forgiving, Foxhound managed to break an Mi-17 very easily in a "not very hard" landing

It would be a nice feature to have, but given my own experience with VBS2, it wouldn't be an easy one to integrate in a engine at late stage. VBS2's RTE is resource hog, a bit "clunky" at times and I suspect the majority of gamers wouldn't be quite as understanding about it all as the ArmA Hardcore fans.

Yes true, but I hoped that this would/could be a keyfeature in the game development (as you see a previous stage of something like 3D Editor in a very early preview version).

btw, yes thanks for your answers.

Some good points and past references there, regarding any potential 3D editor.

Come to think of it, I never heard anyone state that the Debug Console, will be included either, so that was an assumption too, so best to clarify that point now. It may have been purely used by the BI guys for presentation purposes.

Come to think of it, I never heard anyone state that the Debug Console, will be included either, so that was an assumption too, so best to clarify that point now. It may have been purely used by the BI guys for presentation purposes.

Even OFP had a debug console in the dev version, I noticed it when I unbinirised some files and saw the UI code for it.

Would be cool if the console could be used when previewing a mission in the mission editor.

well in the GC08 videos the devs did say the debug console "is cheat" but that it was activated with a script. i dont remember exactly what they said, but it sounded like it would be available to players/mission makers.

but that is only hopeful speculation nothing more