Sign in to follow this  
ArmyGrunt

Military experiences past/present/future

Hi everybody!

So, as the title says, here you can share your experiences you've had in the military. Where did you serve? Are you now in service? Are going to join?

For me, my military service begins in July in the Finnish Border Guard Special Border Jaeger Company.

I was in FDF, Guard Jaegers.
as in "kaartin jääkäri?"

I just reactivate myself after 3++ years hibernating. Now I'm in TA (territorial army). will be attending my field excercise soon... cant wait

:)

FDF. JaegerBrigade/Lapland's JaegerBatallion/Antitank Company/ATGM Platoon (to be exact :) ).

NCO (lowest) is my rank. ATGM squad leader was my "specialized trade" in military passport when i was sent back to civilian life. That was in -99.

Right now i circle around in voluntary courses to get all kinds of infantry training. All kind fun stuff.

For me, my military service begins in July in the Finnish Border Guard Special Border Jaeger Company.

Hmm... So what were selections like? Two days? Intelligence and psycological tests (same as in enrolment for military service, kutsunnat in Finnish), muscle fitness test and 12 minutes running test probably were included. Or does Border Guards use "the police way" to run for 15 minutes? Was there 10 kilometers to be ran with backpack?

I must admit i'm not 100% sure does Special Border Jaeger Station at Onttola.

French Army, 68th African Artillery Regiment, Operations Battery, Artillery Operator (ATLAS system Operator), 1st class.

12/2006 -> 06/2008

FDF. JaegerBrigade/Lapland's JaegerBatallion/Antitank Company/ATGM Platoon (to be exact :) ).

NCO (lowest) is my rank. ATGM squad leader was my "specialized trade" in military passport when i was sent back to civilian life. That was in -99.

Right now i circle around in voluntary courses to get all kinds of infantry training. All kind fun stuff.

Nice! I served in the Jaegarbrigade/Laplands Jaegarbattallion/Recon Company in 2005.

After conscript service I stayed to train recon NCO's till 2007. I also signed up for voluntary courses.

Hmm... So what were selections like? Two days? Intelligence and psycological tests (same as in enrolment for military service, kutsunnat in Finnish), muscle fitness test and 12 minutes running test probably were included. Or does Border Guards use "the police way" to run for 15 minutes? Was there 10 kilometers to be ran with backpack?

I must admit i'm not 100% sure does Special Border Jaeger Station at Onttola.

The selection was basicly the same as for Paratroopers, so it's all in here http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/joukot/utjr/testit.dsp

Special jaegers are in Immola, near Imatra.

Nice! I served in the Jaegarbrigade/Laplands Jaegarbattallion/Recon Company in 2005.

After conscript service I stayed to train recon NCO's till 2007. I also signed up for voluntary courses.

I started my service in Recon Company... Or it was called Sissi Company back then (but trained recon-troops during that year), but got removed quite fast in middle of basic training when those who were willing and able to take part in ranger radio-operator training arrived to Recon Company, and i had asked to get into antitank side of business.

You say you trained Recon NCOs, didn't they flip between recon and sissi training? So that 2005 was recon, 2006 sissi and again 2007 recon. Or has things changed and sissi training has been dropped off?

ArmyGrunt: Oh yeah. Immola. Seems like selections have changed quite bit from what i last heard them to be like.

I started my service in Recon Company... Or it was called Sissi Company back then (but trained recon-troops during that year), but got removed quite fast in middle of basic training when those who were willing and able to take part in ranger radio-operator training arrived to Recon Company, and i had asked to get into antitank side of business.

You say you trained Recon NCOs, didn't they flip between recon and sissi training? So that 2005 was recon, 2006 sissi and again 2007 recon. Or has things changed and sissi training has been dropped off?

ArmyGrunt: Oh yeah. Immola. Seems like selections have changed quite bit from what i last heard them to be like.

It was and still is called Sissi company but I like to call it Recon since the english people really don't get what Sissi means.

I was in there from 2005 till 2007 and only Recon troops were trained. They didn't have any plans to switch back to Sissi's. Besides, they are pretty much the same guys, just with diffirent names.

What does Sissi mean?

Basically same as Ranger for citizen US and if i'm not incorrect Commando to citizen of UK. If explaining what Sissi is as unit and soldier:

"Infantry soldier who is capable to live in wilds as animal of forest and has combat engineer's skills and usually operates in small groups". Or something like that.

Then again word Sissi holds more than just soldiers and their units. Could be said that it's whole doctrine (if that is correct word) on it's own. And it's pretty wide word.

Sissi-methods in which unit and soldier might have to start to use, from army level to individual soldiers. Sort of summary of unconventional methods, done in small units, behind enemy lines. I guess along those lines.

I think one example how that word is being used by us: Taliban is called sissi-army. the way Taliban wages war is Sissi-war (atleast in Afganistan). Taliban groups are sissi-units. Individual Taliban in groups is sissi, and he and he's unit are using sissi-methods.

I like it; it's my type of warfighting.

The wiki article said there were an unknown number of Sissi-soldiers, is that intentional so their numbers can't be predicted?

Pretty much. Or it could be that some of the normal jaegars would be assigned "sissi" missions due to Finland wildlands and it's nature of being good "guerilla" warfare land.

Pretty much. Or it could be that some of the normal jaegars would be assigned "sissi" missions due to Finland wildlands and it's nature of being good "guerilla" warfare land.

That makes sense.

So, are the Sissi generally considered a Finnish defensive measure then, meaning they wouldn't be used in offensive operations?

That makes sense.

So, are the Sissi generally considered a Finnish defensive measure then, meaning they wouldn't be used in offensive operations?

They're meant to do sabotage and recon so I'd say they're more offensive than normal troops.

They're meant to do sabotage and recon so I'd say they're more offensive than normal troops.

I meant "offensive" as in "invading another country". Sabotaging equipment and disrupting supply lines from an invader is defensive.

I meant "offensive" as in "invading another country". Sabotaging equipment and disrupting supply lines from an invader is defensive.

If we forget the fact that there is no country that Finland could invade, yes, Sissi troops will still be used to sabotage and ambush enemies behind the lines if they somehow manage to get there. I don't know if you classify that as offensive or defensive though. Does it really even mean anything if you're still causing trouble for the enemy?

I said how I classify it here:

Sabotaging equipment and disrupting supply lines from an invader is defensive.

I would consider resisting an invader as being defensive regardless of the mission. No, it doesn't "mean" anything; I was just asking a question.