Sign in to follow this  
topeira

How's ARMA2 AI shaping up?

That's realism for you. If you allow yourself to be distracted by the local flora and fauna, you won't survive very long. It's best to pay attention to your squad leader. ;)

That would be major mistake to be made. People are to watch flora and even fauna (in their sectors)... As that is from where enemy might emerge, not from the back of squad leader ;)

So i'm also worried. If game's communications relies on fact that player HAS to see hand signals game don't work... Not even close. FOV is way too limited, and humans has ways to make sure every one gets the message.

And another problem is AI getting itself killed when doing hand signals while they should be shooting at enemy which is shooting at them.

That would be major mistake to be made. People are to watch flora and even fauna (in their sectors)... As that is from where enemy might emerge, not from the back of squad leader ;)

So i'm also worried. If game's communications relies on fact that player HAS to see hand signals game don't work... Not even close. FOV is way too limited, and humans has ways to make sure every one gets the message.

Situational awareness is not the same thing as staring dreamily at birds and trees. You're arguing a different point - but yes, you're correct. You can't be staring at your squad leader the whole time, so hand signals may be missed. I don't really see any way to remedy this problem though, unless they somehow enhanced the simulation of peripheral vision at the side of the screen.

And another problem is AI getting itself killed when doing hand signals while they should be shooting at enemy which is shooting at them.

I don't think that's a problem. In the Arma2 trailer a soldier can be seen raising his hand while still holding his rifle straight. Considering that combined animations like walking while reloading are now possible, it's concievable that soldiers can still shoot while making hand gestures. Ideally at a loss of accuracy, but now I'm getting ahead of myself. :)

Situational awareness is not the same thing as staring dreamily at birds and trees. You're arguing a different point - but yes, you're correct. You can't be staring at your squad leader the whole time, so hand signals may be missed. I don't really see any way to remedy this problem though, unless they somehow enhanced the simulation of peripheral vision at the side of the screen.

The ways are following: Like BIS has suggested long time ago they are just eye-candy. Little boost to immersion factor.

Another way would be to either show hand signals in small screen on HUD... Or better yet radio chatter would keep on going like always (so orders are spoken), but radio chatter isn't heard by outsiders.

Poster didn't say anything about dreaming ;)

I don't think that's a problem. In the Arma2 trailer a soldier can be seen raising his hand while still holding his rifle straight. Considering that combined animations like walking while reloading are now possible, it's concievable that soldiers can still shoot while making hand gestures. Ideally at a loss of accuracy, but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

I see quite many problem areas in AI using hand signals, like leader exposes himself, leaders own actions are slowed down, leaders using hand signals almost 100% of the combat time when giving various orders and such one after another etc (tens of bigger and smaller problems). It's up to BIS to code that behavior well, will they be able to do that... Don't know. We will see.

Edited by Second

The ways are following: Like BIS has suggested long time ago they are just eye-candy. Little boost to immersion factor.

Another way would be to either show hand signals in small screen on HUD... Or better yet radio chatter would keep on going like always (so orders are spoken), but radio chatter isn't heard by outsiders.

I guess radio chatter will always be heard. It's really the only simple way.

Poster didn't say anything about dreaming ;)

He said "looking at the birds" ... close enough. :)

He said "looking at the birds" ... close enough. :)

I've kept staring at rabbits and such small animals quite often, when trying to see is it animal or opponent. :)

Also i've ignored them sometimes and later it was discovered that they were opponents circling around to our back :o

I've kept staring at rabbits and such small animals quite often, when trying to see is it animal or opponent. :)

Also i've ignored them sometimes and later it was discovered that they were opponents circling around to our back :o

What are you talking about now? Arma2 isn't out yet... :confused:

He sees rabbits and such where they do not exist. Also have phobia, that those imagined animals are about to flank and attack him. Clearly not sane person. Don't expect answers.

I indeed didn't really mean to watch birds, but more like check my sector and having TL in my back.

Luckily there is free look, but still, you can't watch him every seconds.

Bha, we'll see anyway

Edited by ChaK_

It is out for Beta testers for a long time

It is out for Beta testers for a long time

I know, but they're not allowed to talk about it.

i've seen some impressive AIs in games.

GTA IV - i bet no one thought that game will come in this category but in some PC mods where i could spawn enemy AIs u could easily see that their path finding was amazing - almost any place i would go to in that dense urban environment they find me.

the cover system in GTA IV is impressive since its systematic and the most surprising this is that the AI has the incerdible ability to find cover behind ANYTHING.

That the AI finds you ain't anything complex.

For instance in Arma 1 we still had the issue with AI seeing through a lot of the environment and killing you by instant precision shots from very very far away just as you lean out. It's the behavior of the AI which is the complex part were you'd want it to behave and react naturally and smart without being pre-programed terminators or dumb dolls.

I talk about reality of nature and wildlife and my experience based on that :)

To make this more clear. We will have wild life in ArmA2, which means there are another creatures moving around than just OpFor. In ArmA2 from what i've gathered we have bushes which will make sounds maybe even move when something touches them or goes thru them. Bushes also obstruct visibility.

Now imagine that you move in hostile ground, imagine that you see bush moving and hear sounds (from bush and something else) in your sector... Will you ignore it or start to scan it more observant? Answer should be quite clear ;)

Not to mention realistic cheaper variants if the mission designer wants it for the cavalry, using the attachTo command :)

Seriously though, I really like the idea of having other things move about in the woods. One misperception by one guy, he opens fire, and the whole teams location is compromised.