Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi im new to Arma 2 but i have some really bad framerate issues when im pretty sure I shouldn't my pc specs are:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition @3.5GHz

6GB DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

1TB HD

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've read multiple threads and most people recommend turning of hyper-threading whereas i cannot do this i was wondering if anyone else has a similar rig and can share their wisdom at how to get the game running well i get the same fps on lowest settings and highest settings which is around 15fps and it annoys the hell out of me i know the game should run soo much better and i see youtube videos with less powerfull rigs that can run the game better than me soo please help me

Hi im new to Arma 2 but i have some really bad framerate issues when im pretty sure I shouldn't my pc specs are:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition @3.5GHz

6GB DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

1TB HD

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've read multiple threads and most people recommend turning of hyper-threading whereas i cannot do this i was wondering if anyone else has a similar rig and can share their wisdom at how to get the game running well i get the same fps on lowest settings and highest settings which is around 15fps and it annoys the hell out of me i know the game should run soo much better and i see youtube videos with less powerfull rigs that can run the game better than me soo please help me

what are your results in the benchmark 1 and the e08 scenario?

my biggest recommmendation is to go to the arma2.cfg and arma2OA.cfg file and make sure it says this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;

this gets rid of any unnecessary delay between mouse/keyboard and screen. There will still be quite a bit compared to other games, but extra delay makes it unbearable when fps is low.

Hello everyone. Need some help upgrading my rig, to better run at very high settings, view distance at 2k-5k, 1920x1200 or 1080 whatever it is in arma 2 combined ops.

Asus Rampage iii Formula LGA1366 x58

i7-950 3.06GHz, overclocked to 3.7GHz on raidmax x3 heatsink

EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked

G.Skill 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB)

120GB Corsair Force GT SSD, which I have Arma installed on, with an extra HDD (500GB) for all the extra mods that I use a launcher to find and run.

I'm looking for an upgrade in frame rates and better smoother game play in large gameplay.

Looking to spend around $300, I'm thinking a better graphics card could be a bit better, but should I do another GTX470 or buy a newer better version under $300 and ability to buy another for SLI at a later date.

Is it my CPU that's bottlenecking?

Hello everyone. Need some help upgrading my rig, to better run at very high settings, view distance at 2k-5k, 1920x1200 or 1080 whatever it is in arma 2 combined ops.

Asus Rampage iii Formula LGA1366 x58

i7-950 3.06GHz, overclocked to 3.7GHz on raidmax x3 heatsink

EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked

G.Skill 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB)

120GB Corsair Force GT SSD, which I have Arma installed on, with an extra HDD (500GB) for all the extra mods that I use a launcher to find and run.

I'm looking for an upgrade in frame rates and better smoother game play in large gameplay.

Looking to spend around $300, I'm thinking a better graphics card could be a bit better, but should I do another GTX470 or buy a newer better version under $300 and ability to buy another for SLI at a later date.

Is it my CPU that's bottlenecking?

I run something similar (i5-750 4Ghz, gtx470 750Mhz), I'm probably gpu limited in a light scenario with not that much ai, but cpu limited if I'm in a town with lots of vehicles and people. I'd say your system is pretty well balanced. I'd say do not upgrade, or upgrade both, but be prepared to spend. If you want noticably better performance you need a sandy or ivy bridge K quad and a gtx670 or something.

Good advice from Leon86

Rather than upgrade, try optimising your rig. I use these tried and tested settings:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

As a result, I can run at 1920x1200, with Norm-High visuals and 2.4km VD on 4-year old CPU with 3-year old GPU at acceptable (20-40 fps) framerates.

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone could offer some advice in terms of getting a rig for arma2.

I am currently in Sydney but I am only in Oz for about another 7months or so. Anyway I really want to get back to playing arma and my current dm1 will not even get close to running this thing.

I am quite capable of picking the components etc but I need some help from Australian players who could refer me to the best sites to get a laptop for this. Originally from the UK so I was used to having a lot of sites available. In Australia I am not sure what sites are the best to buy from for Customer Support/Value

Thanks for anyone who can help point out where to buy from and any recommendations on machines would be fine too.

SpamJabber: the choice of components depends on your budget. So what's your limit?

I run something similar (i5-750 4Ghz, gtx470 750Mhz), I'm probably gpu limited in a light scenario with not that much ai, but cpu limited if I'm in a town with lots of vehicles and people. I'd say your system is pretty well balanced. I'd say do not upgrade, or upgrade both, but be prepared to spend. If you want noticably better performance you need a sandy or ivy bridge K quad and a gtx670 or something.

Well I might as well just build another computer then and keep this one, lol.

SpamJabber: the choice of components depends on your budget. So what's your limit?

I don't want to spend more than $1500 AUD, obviously probably including 2nd gen processor with the best possible GPU within budget. And throw in an SSD and I reckon it'll be ok. BTW I would like it in a 15.6" chasis

EDIT: Is it worth getting the 7970 in the laptop over the GTX 670? It normally pushed the price closer to

What do you guys think of this: http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html as it is very portable it helps with the moving around

Edited by SpamJabber

Although it's highly unlikely I will be running out to purchase a top of the line custom built alienware zetabyte PC..

It would be better to know what the developers use under their hoods when making the game that they are working on.

even though my pc passes the games minimum requirements I have to set my game at the VEry lowest settings

800x600 with most settings switched off/disabled and I ((still)) get ungodly lag so bad sometimes I am concerned

my gerbil powered dual cpu will drop dead from exhaustion -ferociously unbearable!

pchabicase.jpg

tho I am almost certain at this point it has to do with unnecessary clutter: mods + a map required 2GB -CAA1

it still feels like I am running on an old Amiga 1500 1 MB on-board RAM, 256 kB ROM ..very strange.

Edited by BlueWolf

Hey,

I run windows xp pro on my mac whit VMware Fusion.

I download the demo, i install it. But the game starts and i want to do the first mission, but my screen is black? :butbut:

Regards,

Jordy

Hey,

I run windows xp pro on my mac whit VMware Fusion.

I download the demo, i install it. But the game starts and i want to do the first mission, but my screen is black? :butbut:

Regards,

Jordy

Have you installed the latest DirectX?

Yes i install it. I have a black screen if i want play a mission or something..

Yes i install it. I have a black screen if i want play a mission or something..

Hmmm. Try going directly into the installation directory in C:\Program Files\ and launch the game by clicking the .exe

There was a topic somewhere on this forum from someone who got it working on a mac via some emulator, but the best and easiest way is to use bootcamp and just run windows natively.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Although it's highly unlikely I will be running out to purchase a top of the line custom built alienware zetabyte PC..

It would be better to know what the developers use under their hoods when making the game that they are working on.

even though my pc passes the games minimum requirements I have to set my game at the VEry lowest settings

800x600 with most settings switched off/disabled and I ((still)) get ungodly lag so bad sometimes I am concerned

my gerbil powered dual cpu will drop dead from exhaustion -ferociously unbearable!

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-images/pchabicase.jpg

tho I am almost certain at this point it has to do with unnecessary clutter: mods + a map required 2GB -CAA1

it still feels like I am running on an old Amiga 1500 1 MB on-board RAM, 256 kB ROM ..very strange.

got specs?

Specs:

General        
               Operating System        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 
               Central Processor        Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
               User Name                 Classified
Graphics        
               Video Adapter        NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
               Video Memory        1.00 GB
               Screen Resolution        1280 x 1024
Storage        
               Total Memory        2.00 GB
               Free Memory        761.91 MB
               Total Hard disk        260.76 GB
               Free Hard disk        50.88 GB
I/O        
               Mouse        USB Input Device
               Keyboard        USB Input Device
Computer System        
               Computer Name   Classified
               User Name          Classified
               Organization        N/A
Operating System        
               OS Name        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 
               OS Version        6.1.7600
               Product ID        Classified
               System Up Time        5/17/2012 11:13:17 AM
               Internet Explorer Version        Classified
               Microsoft DirectX Version        4.09.00.0904
               OpenGL Version        6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Registry        
               Maximum Size        682 MB
               Current Size        49 MB
               Status        OK
Central Processor        
               CPU Name        Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
               Code Name        Model 4, Stepping 1
               Manufacturer        GenuineIntel
               Current Clock Speed        2793 Mhz
               Max Clock Speed        2793 Mhz
               Voltage        1.7V
               External Clock        800 Mhz
               Serial Number        Classified
               CPU ID        x64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
               Socket Designation        Microprocessor
               N/A        16 KB
               N/A        1024 KB
Motherboard        
               Model                 Classified
               Manufacturer       Custom Built Inc.          
               Serial Number       Classified
               BIOS Name          Classified
               BIOS Vendor        Classified               
               SMBIOS Version    Classified
               BIOS Date           Classified

Memory Resource        
               Total Memory        2.00 GB
               Used Memory        1.25 GB
               Free Memory        762.62 MB
               Memory Usage        62%

Physical Memory        
               Memory Bank        N/A
               Description        Physical Memory 0
               Device Locator        DIMM1
               Capacity        512.00 MB
               Speed        533 Mhz
               Manufacturer        NULL
               Data Width        64 bit
               Memory Type        SDRAM
               Form Factor        DIMM
Physical Memory        
               Memory Bank        N/A
               Description        Physical Memory 1
               Device Locator        DIMM2
               Speed        533 Mhz
               Manufacturer        NULL
               Data Width        64 bit
               Memory Type        SDRAM
               Form Factor        DIMM
Physical Memory        
               Memory Bank        N/A
               Description        Physical Memory 2
               Device Locator        DIMM3
               Speed        533 Mhz
               Manufacturer        NULL
               Data Width        64 bit
               Memory Type        SDRAM
               Form Factor        DIMM
Physical Memory        
               Memory Bank        N/A
               Description        Physical Memory 3
               Device Locator        DIMM4
               Speed        533 Mhz
               Manufacturer        NULL
               Data Width        64 bit
               Memory Type        SDRAM
               Form Factor        DIMM

Name        NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
               Video Processor        GeForce 9400 GT
               Manufacturer        NVIDIA
               Video Architecture        VGA
               DAC Type        Integrated RAMDAC
               Memory Size        1.00 GB
               Memory Type        Unknown
               Video Mode        1280 x 1024 x 4294967296 colors
               Current Refresh Rate        75 Hz
               Driver Version        8.17.12.8562
               Driver Date        10/15/2011

Sound Device        
               Name        SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
               Manufacturer        Analog Devices, Inc.
               Status        OK

Arma2 CO mods

@CBA

@CAA1_Full

@JSRS

@vopsound

@gdtmod_grass_arma2

@MBG_WOO

@lokilostkey

@mcc_sandbox

+ numerous maps, vehicles, & weapon pbo's.

Edited by Max Power
massive post

CPU Name Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

Minimal PC Requirements

CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / 7800 (quite a bit faster than a 9400, check my sig)

you do not pass min system requirements, and running on the minimum means barely playable, you being under it it's no wonder you have terrible performance. If you want reasonable performance you'll need a more powerfull rig.

Specs:

CPU: P4 2.8Ghz

GPU: 9400GT

RAM: 2GB

Arma2 CO mods

@CBA

@CAA1_Full

@JSRS

@vopsound

@gdtmod_grass_arma2

@MBG_WOO

@lokilostkey

@mcc_sandbox

+ numerous maps, vehicles, & weapon pbo's.

That is a very old rig you got there. No wonder it looks like you are playing on your Amiga.

While you pass the barely minimum req, you don't do it by a lot.

That GPU and CPU of yours are really bad.

it's below requirements pufu, the minimum is a dualcore and a 7800 series gpu, even the mobile 7800 beats a 9400GT.

it's below requirements pufu, the minimum is a dualcore and a 7800 series gpu, even the mobile 7800 beats a 9400GT.

according to sproket:

Processor: Intel Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT or ATI Radeon 3650 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM

Hard Drive: 20 GB free HDD space

Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster

Memory: 2 GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM

Hard Drive: 20 GB free HDD space

well, a pentium 4 is not a "core" series cpu, it's quite a bit older and slower.

well, a pentium 4 is not a "core" series cpu, it's quite a bit older and slower.

If you assume by "core", bis means intel core 2 duo, then i guess you are right. AFAIK, there is no intel named "core". Mispelling or not, they are probably talking about e6xxx series or anything above that (e7xxx series and e8xxx series).

Trying to decide between a GTX 480, 560, and 6870. Each of these are $220 at newegg. The 480 has tremendous performance, but I am hearing that the 4xx series was considered a dud in terms of noise and performance (in comparison to Radeons). I would love to get a 580 or 680 but that costs way too much. Even with the $220 is a bit beyond what I would like to spend. What do you guys recommend?

Trying to decide between a GTX 480, 560, and 6870. Each of these are $220 at newegg. The 480 has tremendous performance, but I am hearing that the 4xx series was considered a dud in terms of noise and performance (in comparison to Radeons). I would love to get a 580 or 680 but that costs way too much. Even with the $220 is a bit beyond what I would like to spend. What do you guys recommend?

480s were great cards tbh - they are no louder than 580s and heat shouldn't be an issue if your box has good airflow/cooling.

I've had several of them from several companies and never had any issues to speak of.

They are probably one of the best deals around in terms of price/performance.

Proper cooling and airflow are important though as they do not have the more efficient vapor chamber coolers (maybe on the aftermarket versions) that are on the 5xx and 6xx series.

I never got them over 80c on air (and I had 2 of them sandwiched together) so unless you are in a really warm room etc, you shouldn't have any problems.

I will add that as Leon said, if you are concerned about power consumption, the 480 is not the best choice. I was talking about price/performance, not energy efficiency.

Edited by BangTail