Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

If you think your psu is up to the job. If you look at your psu how many amps can it deliver on the +12V lines, and how many lines are there?

15 Amps

If the psu only gives you 15*12=180 watt on 12V maybe you're better off with a HD 5670. There is only one +12V line? The 5750's and 5770's are probably the best cards for the money right now, fast and at least they're in stock at normal prices.

If the psu only gives you 15*12=180 watt on 12V maybe you're better off with a HD 5670. There is only one +12V line? The 5750's and 5770's are probably the best cards for the money right now, fast and at least they're in stock at normal prices.

are u talking to me? i think im gonna get 5670 but does it really matter if i get 512mb or 1 gb?

are u talking to me? i think im gonna get 5670 but does it really matter if i get 512mb or 1 gb?

I dont think so, if you want to know for sure try to find some benchmarks at your resolution.

My system: Intel Pentium D 2.00 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM, NVidia 9600GT 512 MB Low Power Edition

ArmAII Demo Benchmark [at default High settings]: 22 FPS at 1366x768

Decreasing graphics or resolution further does not yield better performance.

I easily win at veteran but can't handle expert difficulty settings. My question is: whom to blame? My skills of framerate?

My system: Intel Pentium D 2.00 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM, NVidia 9600GT 512 MB Low Power Edition

ArmAII Demo Benchmark [at default High settings]: 22 FPS at 1366x768

Decreasing graphics or resolution further does not yield better performance.

I easily win at veteran but can't handle expert difficulty settings. My question is: whom to blame? My skills of framerate?

The pentium D on 2 Ghz is a very slow cpu. Does lowering the viewdistance and model/terrain detail do anything? Also, shadows on normal use the cpu, put them on high or off.

If your motherboard supports better cpu's you can probably get one for next to nothing, look for the supported cpu list for your motherboard on the manufacturers site.

Hi Leon86,

I long knew that the E2180 is the weak point but in ArmAII cores matter, not clock speed & quad-cores are costly here. Anyway, lowering everything down gives me 29 FPS but for some reason everything starts to look extremely blurry/hazy & it causes strain on eyes. It also becomes difficult to spot enemies. That is why I said "Decreasing graphics or resolution further does not yield better performance." I have just read that in the demo I can't disable AA & AF. Is that the reason? Also, are the patches supposed to make it easier to spot enemies?

Edit: AA & AF can be disabled but that do not solve problem.

Best:

th.671aec1a00.jpg

Low:

th.8a92db4fba.jpg

Edited by sbcontt

how about turning off postprocessing, that'll at least get rid of the annoying blur on low. and limiting viewdistance a bit? Turning off aa might help a lot, or it wont do much, only way to know is testing. And in arma 2 anything beyond 3 cores is pretty much useless, clockspeed is important.

how about turning off postprocessing, that'll at least get rid of the annoying blur on low. and limiting viewdistance a bit? Turning off aa might help a lot, or it wont do much, only way to know is testing. And in arma 2 anything beyond 3 cores is pretty much useless, clockspeed is important.

Ok thanks to your suggestions & hours of fine tuning & benchmarking I have achived 32 FPS at acceptable visual quality & clarity. I am new to several things. AA,AF & postprocessing were slowing things down but not overly. But anyway, they only help in making things blurry when playing a game in low quality.

Texture,Terrain & object details at least need to be in normal. Shadow needs to be high & 3D resolution 80%. At least in LCD monitors, decreasing resolution decreases framerate maybe because of resampling; non-native resolution also makes things blurry. Things are still not crystal clear but quality:framerate is immensely high.

I have also lowered AA, AF, postprocessing overrides in graphics card profile. Dunno if they make any difference.

th.b2077add3a.jpg

Edited by sbcontt

Hello.

My current specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.8Ghz

Corsair DDR3 RAM

GTX260

Samsung F3 HDD

Corsair 520w PSU

24" 1920 x 1200 monitor

I get a little lag when tearing around in Land Rovers and large cities.

How does crossfire scale in arma2? I'm thinking of getting a single 5850 or 2 x 5770's. I suppose with one 5850, I could buy another seconde hand at xmas cheap and run xfire then.

Anyone own a 5850? How did you overclock it? How well does it run in arma2?

Which upgrade is best?

Edited by oxymoron

Upgrading from a Ati 4670 to a 5870 today, I hope to see a good improvement - Specs wise there is a massive difference

How does crossfire scale in arma2? I'm thinking of getting a single 5850 or 2 x 5770's. I suppose with one 5850, I could buy another seconde hand at xmas cheap and run xfire then.

Anyone own a 5850? How did you overclock it? How well does it run in arma2?

Which upgrade is best?

Go for the 5850. Crossfire works, bot it is complicated [http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73459] & you would get decent FPS with 5850. If you get the 5850 you have hope of crossfiring it with another 5850 in future when support for Crossfire improves:bounce3:. Why should you go for the hassle & instability of 5770x2 instead of 5850?

MultiGPU only helps in multidisplay systems & provides an option of cheaper upgrading. It is also a trend among geeks who want their computer as powerful as possible. But MultiGPU does not possess any technical superiority over single GPU. What applies to CPU does not apply on GPU; in case of CPU multicore enables a host of advanced technologies like parallel processing, parallel kernel execution, vector processing etc. But GPUs already possess multiple cores.

I can't help about overclocking as I failed to overclock mine:(.

Edit: There is no recent complain about crossfire but there is no confirmation either. ARMAII is certainly not a popular game & I doubt Crossfire support for it will ever mature.

Edited by sbcontt

MultiGPU only helps in multidisplay systems & provides an option of cheaper upgrading. It is also a trend among geeks who want their computer as powerful as possible. But MultiGPU does not possess any technical superiority over single GPU. What applies to CPU does not apply on GPU; in case of CPU multicore enables a host of advanced technologies like parallel processing, parallel kernel execution, vector processing etc. But GPUs already possess multiple cores.

Edit: There is no recent complain about crossfire but there is no confirmation either. ARMAII is certainly not a popular game & I doubt Crossfire support for it will ever mature.

Please don't post about stuff you don't understand.

All you're doing is misleading people and it is ultimately very unhelpful.

Edited by BangTail

Please don't post about stuff you don't understand.

All you're doing is misleading people and it is ultimately very unhelpful.

:( So I need to be an engineer to post in a forum? If I am wrong in my theory please correct me. I tried to help but your post is neither helping me nor Oxymoron. I did not post without researching but I don't have access to anything more than benchmarks & customer comments.

Edit:

Here is the official SLI description: http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_learn.html

Here is the official CrossfireX description: http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_about.aspx

None of them claim anything breakthrough & benchmark shows that it simply doubles the framerate. The claims on ATI page are completely vauge.

This Wikipedia article even claims that multi GPU often fares worse than single GPU.

Edited by sbcontt

If you aren't sure about something, it's best not to post about it, and regurgitating what other people say is never a good idea without having a clear understanding and/or firsthand experience.

Too many people post opinions with no firsthand experience of the hardware they are referring to. Anyone can read a review and interpret it in about 100 different ways.

What you posted before was completely wrong and that is why I commented. Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything, let alone concise PC hardware discussion.

Edited by BangTail

If you aren't sure about something, it's best not to post about it, and regurgitating what other people say is never a good idea without having a clear understanding and/or firsthand experience.

True. I am sorry for that.

True. I am sorry for that.

It's all good mate, I know you were just trying to help :)

What card would be the best for this rig

Q8200 2.33ghz

4GB

And a 400w psu with 15A on +12V rail

9800GT

GT240

HD5670

Hit meh ! :D

What card would be the best for this rig

Q8200 2.33ghz

4GB

And a 400w psu with 15A on +12V rail

9800GT

GT240

HD5670

Hit meh ! :D

I'd go for the 5670 it uses less power and heat and you've only got a 400. You think wanna upgrade your CPU though

Whats wrong with my cpu?

Also benchmarks are telling me the HD5670 is less powerful then the 9600gt

Whats wrong with my cpu?

Nothing, only problem is there are faster cpu's :p

It should run the game fine if you dont go overboard with settings.

Also benchmarks are telling me the HD5670 is less powerful then the 9600gt

I doubt there's a great performance difference between those cards, I'd go for the 5670 because it's a newer design with a lower power use, something to consider if you have a cheap-ass psu. Unless you can get the 9600 much cheaper, then go for that one;)

Hey, a friend gave me his copy of ARMA II, since it's not his type of game (He plays CS, I play America's Army).

I have a macbook pro from 2006; 2.33 C2D, ATI 1600, which I can OC, and 2GB RAM. Any chance I can run this? I have windows XP installed, and optimized for gaming as much as possible