Sign in to follow this  

ArmA 2 uses only 1 GPU (HD4870X2)

Drivers are default, I haven't tweaked anything and Crossfire is on. Running default ArmA2.exe, version 1.01.

2s6sm84.png

[####] is menu screen (hangar)

[####] is flying around in a MI24 in Chernarus, looking around with freelook.

You HAVE to fix this!!!

MoBo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)

OS: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

RAM: 8 GB

Edited by 7

Please try renaming arma2.exe to farcry2.exe

Seemed to be the workaround for A1 :D

Please try renaming arma2.exe to farcry2.exe

Seemed to be the workaround for A1 :D

I tried farcry2, crysis.exe etc. but it doesn't help. Shouldn't have to do that anyway.

Hello!

Launch the game with the -winxp switch in the shortcut, and your second GPU will kick in.

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp

Hello!

Launch the game with the -winxp switch in the shortcut, and your second GPU will kick in.

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp

Wow, it worked. Didn't notice an increase in performance though. Now for some quad-cpu monitoring. (:

Thanks.

Strange... If you have no improvements, it's because you benchmarked on spots that are CPU limited, because my 4870X2 never goes over 90% for both GPU's... where CPU cores are on 100% almost all the time (in villages for example).

In the menu, I have 44FPS with 1 GPU, 60FPS with 2 GPUs (limited due to vsync I think, but I don't need more than 60).

Woah, cool! It worked for me too! Thanks Like Blufor, i also didn't notice much of a performance increase.

You're welcome!

It's strange, since the Catalyst crew added a profile for arma2.exe a few releases ago (since Cat 9.3 or 9.2 I think). When you had a problem with ArmA, you'd simply rename the exe to arma2.exe and it would work... hum... what happened here?

Woah, cool! It worked for me too! Thanks Like Blufor, i also didn't notice much of a performance increase.

Do you have changed any settings in the CCC like "Catalyst AI" for example? Try uninstalling your drivers, reboot, reinstall the newest Cat 9.5 to see if your FPS go up.

Do you have changed any settings in the CCC like "Catalyst AI" for example? Try uninstalling your drivers, reboot, reinstall the newest Cat 9.5 to see if your FPS go up.

After further testing the performance is wonderful with everything on maximum except viewdistance: 4000 and fillrate: 133% @ 1920 x 1200 :m:

Hopefully it will run even better after a few patches. (:

This looks encouraging. Here's a question for y'all.

Does this work with Evga 680Sli with 2 evga 8800 GTS?

I'd like to use SLI if possible. When you suggest switching the exe's name, I'm unclear on what software profile is getting picked up. Is that something in the NVidia control panel?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject.

does this trick work on windows 7 aswell cause im about to install it.

windows7 doesnt need it. my 4870x2 works perfectly in W7.

i get almost double the fps in W7 than WinXP or Vista.

Dynamo;1296093']windows7 doesnt need it. my 4870x2 works perfectly in W7.

i get almost double the fps in W7 than WinXP or Vista.

Hi, what Catalyst version do you use? My second GPU doesn't process without the -winxp launch command. And yes, as you can see in my signature I'm running on Se7en too. :j:

;1296089']This looks encouraging. Here's a question for y'all.

Does this work with Evga 680Sli with 2 evga 8800 GTS?

I'd like to use SLI if possible. When you suggest switching the exe's name' date=' I'm unclear on what software profile is getting picked up. Is that something in the NVidia control panel?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject.[/quote']

nVidia drivers basically scan what exes are launched and sets the according settings automatically, so in theory, if you rename the exe of a game where SLI doesn't work to the name of a game where it works, the drivers will enable exactly that profile for the game. Sady, the procedure doesn't work for me.

I NEED to launch the game with the -winxp parameter, compatibility mode and/or renaming the game's exe doesn't do anything.

I've found an alternative for the -winxp command, at least I think, since I didn't test it yet.

With ATI CrossFire Xtension v1.4, you can create or even modify existing ATI profiles by forcing Crossfire modes and much more.

I'll keep you updated. I just have to find some time to play around with it ^^

Link to the "official" forum where new versions of this tool are released (here last version 1.4):

http://epichardware.com/index.php?topic=12.0

I've found an alternative for the -winxp command, at least I think, since I didn't test it yet.

With ATI CrossFire Xtension v1.4, you can create or even modify existing ATI profiles by forcing Crossfire modes and much more.

I'll keep you updated. I just have to find some time to play around with it ^^

Link to the "official" forum where new versions of this tool are released (here last version 1.4):

http://epichardware.com/index.php?topic=12.0

It doesn't work. All it does is rename arma2.exe to Crysis.exe

do you guys see a big improvement with a 4870X2?

I'm thinking about upgrading to one, but don't want to if the difference is small.

do you guys see a big improvement with a 4870X2?

I'm thinking about upgrading to one, but don't want to if the difference is small.

Hi!

If you plan to buy it for ArmA2, don't do it until they fixed the performance. You may not get the results you immagine you will because of the second GPU.

My tests are based on the Configuration in my signature with following settings ingame:

Every option on "Very High", View Distance: 3600, Fillrate 100% @ 1680x1050, game launched with the -winxp switch as stated in this thread.

Here's what it's like in the actual version 1.01 official german release:

You'll get more FPS if your second GPU is active: YES

instead of ~47FPS you get 60FPS in the game menu (locked by vsync on the gameside, can't deactivate that for the moment) and your general framerate will go up.

You'll get more FPS in cities full of AI like the third SP Mission "Gegenangriff": NO "But! But!"-->:butbut: :

you're stuck at ~22FPS with max settings (you still can get more if you want by reducing the image quality settings)

Why is this happening?

ArmA2 is less graphical than CPU bound, even with the max settings. Both GPU cores in that particular mission aren't used at more than 60% (if ever...) each. So you CAN get more FPS by switching to High instead of Very High, but it's just the CPU who then can push the data to the GPU's faster. If the CPU was doing his AI and other work without sweating, the GPU's wouldn't have that hit with Very High settings.

So yes, in other games, yes, it helps, but don't think you'll get a 80FPS average in Crysis or any other game if you had 40FPS average before... second GPU never gives you +50%, it's always less :j:.

For ArmA2, I wouldn't suggest you to buy it too early as you won't see a big gain right now. But who knows!?

Then, the Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 looks awfully expensive too (;)), but on the other hand, DX11 hardware will make its way to the customer soon, maybe you don't want to miss that train? (I may want to sell my 8month-old 4870x2 from Asus for a good price soon: :rolleyes: )

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions left, I'll watch this topic for a few more days.

Edited by soldier9945
Various grammar things ^^

Thanks for that. I'll see how it goes on my single 4870 first. If I find myself GPU bound I'll sell it and grab an X2.

I should get better performance because I have an X3 720 (which unlocks a stable 4th core) that has plenty of room left for overclocking. Currently overclocked to 3.4Ghz with stock volts and stcok HSF. :)

Thanks for that. I'll see how it goes on my single 4870 first. If I find myself GPU bound I'll sell it and grab an X2.

I should get better performance because I have an X3 720 (which unlocks a stable 4th core) that has plenty of room left for overclocking. Currently overclocked to 3.4Ghz with stock volts and stcok HSF. :)

Ooookay, great! :) Tell me if you want to have my ASUS 4870x2 unmodded, never overclocked. I think it will have a good price then ;) I live in Switzerland btw... ;)

Lol.... maybe if you lived in Aus.... :P

is there no solution to the problem?

i have also this bug with the ati 4870X2

is that a driver problem?

or is that a arma2 problem?

I think its up top the board maker, however Dev's "should" work closely with these people to help optimise game for the hardware it will run on. nVidia has been really successful with this in terms of "The way its meant to be played"... unfortunately driver support is often given to games most frequently benchmarked (Crysis et al..)

^^ PS this is what I think from my reading etc, I have owned 3 Sli/Xfire configurations 9800GX2, 4870x2, GTX295, and unfortunately unless its a "massive" release often games have poor implemenation early on... anyway hoping patch 1.02 & new drivers will deliver the goods.. odd thing tho is some people have everything working, while others just can't no matter what they do.

is is going to be worth buying one of these cards for playing ARMA 2 with? or will it be a waste of money and better getting a single GPU card?