Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

(intel Chipset defect)--- I wonder if my new Asus p67 pro board is effected by this(due to arrive tonorrow from tigerdirect along with my I7 2600k and sapphire 6970 :) ).Is it all the p67/h67 motherboards anybody know?I would imagine they all have the same chipsets.

This sounds like it could be quite a pain in the a$$ to deal with .Hopefully not :)

Well, the problem is only on 3Gbps SATA ports. The 6Gbps SATA ports are not affected by this problem, so you will be fine when you wont use the 3Gbps ports.

Only the sata300 ports are affected, so you can still use the sata600 as a workaround (even for old disks since its backward compatible) untill your mobo gets replaced. Still a hassle and a major fuckup at intel.

Only the sata300 ports are affected, so you can still use the sata600 as a workaround (even for old disks since its backward compatible) untill your mobo gets replaced. Still a hassle and a major fuckup at intel.

meaning there will be no problem using SSD disks or IDE drives as long as you dont have many drives right? Btw, which mobo is considered the best for the i7 k processors in the mid/high range prize tag?

Only criteria ; O.C friendly

meaning there will be no problem using SSD disks or IDE drives as long as you dont have many drives right? Btw, which mobo is considered the best for the i7 k processors in the mid/high range prize tag?

Only criteria ; O.C friendly

Only real criterium for overclocking is a sufficient ammount of power electronics around the cpu socket. I'd look at boards like the gigabyte P67A-UD4 and other boards in that pricerange. They have crossfire AND SLI, and enough crap around the socket. With these boards you can safely clock to within 2% of the most expensive boards. On sandy bridge the overclock on nearly every system is limited because of the cpu, not the board, but if the board is too cheap you'll break it with a decent prime95/occt run.

I doubt you'll be getting any board any time soon though.

Edited by Leon86

for same price 560TI or 480GTX please ? They seeem roughly on par normal games/benchmarks wise (480 slightly ahead) - but wondering whether the extra grunt of the 480 is worth it in Arma 2 (1900x gaming) - given that its hotter, uses more power etc

480 is slightly cheaper than the 560

If the 480 is cheaper I guess it's a no-brianer. Unless you have doubts about the psu.

thanks Leon - 700W Tagan (maybe 750 can't remember) - should be ok :) used to run a 3870x2 on it anyway

Here is a link that better describes what is going on with the I5 2500k and I7 2600k "sandbridge" motherboards.All h67 and p67 are affected according to this article but won't keep me from playing :)(I HOPE). When the dust clears I will deal with my motherboard then.I Bet ASUS and others are not very happy

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.com%2Fblog%2Fhardware%2Fsandy-bridge-chipset-flaw-to-cost-intel-1-billion%2F11157&ei=kIpHTYqsBcWclgfd7ejmBA&usg=AFQjCNFqXyXo3eVHXUAr1_A2n0mHem0okQ

for same price 560TI or 480GTX please ? They seeem roughly on par normal games/benchmarks wise (480 slightly ahead) - but wondering whether the extra grunt of the 480 is worth it in Arma 2 (1900x gaming) - given that its hotter, uses more power etc

480 is slightly cheaper than the 560

Buy a GTX 5xx series for Arma2! Why?

Becouse 5xx series is nVidias 1st series ever, what makes full hw acceleration for FP16 textures, and Arma2/OA engine uses those textures (DX9).

All previous nVidia cards, example GTX480 makes those FP16 calculations at half-speed (FP16<>FP32 translation?).

And 480 is so much louder and hotter than a hell! :mad:

And its power consumption is so much much more than a GTX560Ti.

ATI cards has been a long time full FP16 supported.

Edited by Hiikeri

Buy a GTX 5xx series for Arma2! Why?

Becouse 5xx series is nVidias 1st series ever, what makes full hw acceleration for FP16 textures, and Arma2/OA engine uses those textures (DX9).

All previous nVidia cards, example GTX480 makes those FP16 calculations at half-speed (FP16<>FP32 translation?).

ATI cards has been a long time full FP16 supported.

Well, I haven't seen an arma2 test with the 560, In other game benches the 480 is faster. If it's cheaper as well I'd still get that one. Where I live the 560ti is a lot cheaper than a 480.

Have you ever owned a 480, because I never had any problems with noise or heat and that was with 2 of them, side by side :rolleyes:

Edited by BangTail

Fractal Design Define R3

Fractal Design Newton R2, 650W

Asrock 880G Extreme3

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3,2Ghz Black Edition

Noctua NH-C12p SE14-Cpu Cooler

A-Data 4GB 1600Mhz Game Series,CL9,PC3-12800

Corsair SSD Force Series 60GB 2.5"

PowerColor Radeon HD6950 2GB

Is this something that would handle Arma pretty well? Maybe not on the highest settings, but good fps with high settings? :)

Received a Club 3D HD6950 2GB ( in the non stock design version with the dual fans ) and wanted to plug it in and enjoy higher settings.

Yet the bubble soon bursted when the thing spooled up like a jetfighter in my case or maybe a vacuum cleaner on full power is more fitting.

Ingame as good as no difference in regards to frames and texture loading to my HD 4870 512MB apart from settings being lot higher now with the new card so i assume my Phenom X4 9850 definatly limits the whole thing.

Experienced the same in Stalker witht he Complete 2009 Mod ( High res Textures and lots of new effects ) where frames were also nearly same.

Like a V8 engine in a Lada i guess.

Should the CPU really limit that extremely?

Also how the heck can the card go up to over 100 degrees in seconds even if the case is open?

Getting a new PC is no option atm but maybe a new CPU for now, anyone thinks the Phenom 2 X4 965 ( Max that can be used on my board ) would be worth the 140 Eur it costs?

Or live with mid settings and rather save for a completely new PC in a year or so? :(

---EDIT---

To my surprise changing to Win 7 eliminated most of the problems, settings are nearly all maxed and the thing runs very smooth now.

Card runs lot lot cooler now and is less heareable.

Edited by Shadow NX

PhenomII's are pretty fast (although a bit slower than intel i5-760 and up), getting one will make a huge difference. Even a 60 euro athlonIIx3 would beat the 9850 easily. If you get a phenomII I'd get the cheapest quadcore black edition, overclocks to 965 speeds easily.

Received a Club 3D HD6950 2GB ( in the non stock design version with the dual fans ) and wanted to plug it in and enjoy higher settings.

Yet the bubble soon bursted when the thing spooled up like a jetfighter in my case or maybe a vacuum cleaner on full power is more fitting.

LOL :rolleyes:

I've always said I dont mind if my computer sounds like a jet, as long as it goes as fast as one :D

-Ziggy-;1848942']LOL :rolleyes:

I've always said I dont mind if my computer sounds like a jet' date=' [i']as long as[/i] it goes as fast as one :D

LOL!

Words to live by mate :D

-Ziggy-;1848942']LOL :rolleyes:

I've always said I dont mind if my computer sounds like a jet' date=' [i']as long as[/i] it goes as fast as one :D

Believe me if you hear that thing you wouldnt want it.

I had loud PCs before but that card is beyond accepteable sound levels... yet chance is high that i received a instantly broken card of the first batch.

What do you guys think of this dedicated Arma 2 OA setup?

AMD 1090T @ 4.0 GHZ

16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM

2x 6970s in Crossfire

3x Asus 23.6" 1080P eyefinity

2x c300 SSDs in RAID 0 for 600MB/s reads

TrackIR & Buttkicker Gamer 2

Creative Sigma surround headset

Few questions, I know the GPUs can handle a eyefinity resolution @ 49FPS average on the benchmark on Very High settings, no AA/AF. I've heard Arma 2 can scale well on a 6 core CPU such as the 1090T, how true is this? I've picked the 1090T since Sandy bridge is gone for a long time and the 1090T benches faster then the i7-950 in highly threaded applications at a decent price.

Will a bandwidth of 600MB/s be enough to have high draw distances or should I look into a RAM DISK? I'm half tempted to go X58 so I can have 24GB of RAM for this reason.

Would a quadfire 6970 setup scale well with Arma's code? I know I'll be CPU limited at low resolutions but eyefinity? I want to completely max out everything in ArmA 2:OA, AA/AF, draw distances, etc.

Thanks!

Stay away from CF if you are planning on playing ArmA 2, it's a trainwreck at the moment.

Once you pass 4 cores, the benefits are minimal.

You aren't going to be able to max your VD with any setup, it simply isn't possible while maintaining acceptable FPS. Even running maxed out (VD excluded) at 3 monitor resolutions is probably wishful thinking where ArmA 2 is concerned.

Edited by BangTail

Wow, if it's impossible to max out ArmA 2 it looks like I'll need to head over to china to use their supercomputer :yay:

And since it seems I'll be throwing money at a system with diminishing returns I'll simply build:

Silverstone Sugo SG07

ASUS AM3 ITX w/ wifi/bluetooth

1090T @ 4.0ghz

MOSFET heatsinks for VREGs

Single XFX 6970

Asus 27" LCD LED @ 1080P

8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX So-DIMM 1600mhz

2x C300 64GBs in RAID 0

Trackir, Buttkicker Gamer 2

1TB Samsung 7200RPM HDD

External DVD/CD Burner.

Shoebox gamer.:computer:

Yah, didnt mean to rain on your parade bud :(

If you want to go multi GPU I'd go Nvidia but AMD is fine as long as you are only using one card.

SLI works, perhaps consider a board that has 2x PCIe x16 slots and a pair of Nvidia cards to match? :j:

MSI 870A FUZION AM3 AMD 770 :confused:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130297&cm_re=MSI_Fuzion-_-13-130-297-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

:hehe:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-