Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

How important is the CPU in ARMA 2 when it comes to higher resolutions? I have a C2D at 3.2GHz and want to buy a 27" monitor for more resolution/space but I'm worried I won't be able to run the game properly anymore even if a buy a better graphic card. In other words, how would ARMA run at 2560x1440 on a C2D 3.2GHz and say something like an ATI 5870? Would my CPU be a big bottleneck and would I be better off just staying with a 1920x1200 monitor and a GTX460? I would like to get a new monitor and would buy a better graphic card but I really don't feel like changing the motherboard, CPU and RAM right now as well.

How important is the CPU in ARMA 2 when it comes to higher resolutions? I have a C2D at 3.2GHz and want to buy a 27" monitor for more resolution/space but I'm worried I won't be able to run the game properly anymore even if a buy a better graphic card. In other words, how would ARMA run at 2560x1440 on a C2D 3.2GHz and say something like an ATI 5870? Would my CPU be a big bottleneck and would I be better off just staying with a 1920x1200 monitor and a GTX460? I would like to get a new monitor and would buy a better graphic card but I really don't feel like changing the motherboard, CPU and RAM right now as well.

I wouln't buy a 5870 now, amd will realease a new high-end card very soon. If you want to test performance on a higher resolution on your current system just change 3d res to 2560x1600 and see how it runs. If you run without aa and postprocessing. maybe that'll work and you dont have to change gpu.

with a bigger screen you can always choose to run on a lower res. Running on 1920x1200 with some aa still gets you a good looking result on a 27" I think, at the cost of some sharpness at extreme distances.

And to answer your first question, the cpu is extremely unimportant when it comes to resolution. (although arma 2 also determines what objects to show depending on res, so it's not completely irrelevant)

Hi guys. I'm getting a new laptop, and these are it's specs:

-GTX 460M DX11 1.5GB VRAM

-8GB RAM DDR3

-Intel Core i7-740QM @ 1.73-2.93 GHz OC to 1.9GHz

-500GB HDD 7200RPM, 750 HDD 7200RPM

What settings can I run it at with around 15-20 FPS?

Also, which settings degrade visual quality the least while increasing performance and vice versa? (ex. Anisotropic Filtering has no impact on FPS and visual quality improves alot.

Edited by Flubadoo

Hi guys. I'm getting a new laptop, and these are it's specs:

-GTX 460M DX11 1.5GB VRAM

-8GB RAM DDR3

-Intel Core i7-740QM @ 1.73-2.93 GHz OC to 1.9GHz

-500GB HDD 7200RPM, 750 HDD 7200RPM

What settings can I run it at with around 15-20 FPS?

Also, which settings degrade visual quality the least while increasing performance and vice versa? (ex. Anisotropic Filtering has no impact on FPS and visual quality improves alot.

If you're satisfied with 15-20 fps you can really turn up the settings. I'd recommend running at 2500vd. low terrain detail and low model detail. Post off, aa off, shadows on high, rest on medium. That'll probably get you 30+ fps in most missions.

I wouln't buy a 5870 now, amd will realease a new high-end card very soon. If you want to test performance on a higher resolution on your current system just change 3d res to 2560x1600 and see how it runs. If you run without aa and postprocessing. maybe that'll work and you dont have to change gpu.

with a bigger screen you can always choose to run on a lower res. Running on 1920x1200 with some aa still gets you a good looking result on a 27" I think, at the cost of some sharpness at extreme distances.

And to answer your first question, the cpu is extremely unimportant when it comes to resolution. (although arma 2 also determines what objects to show depending on res, so it's not completely irrelevant)

Yeah, I mentioned the 5870 because I have a chance to get it for a good price used. For a new card I was thinking about something like a 6870 but it seems that would be a slower option. My current card doesn't cope well with higher resolutions, most likely because of the lack of video ram. Seeing as 27" screens with 2560x1440 have the smallest pixels of all monitors on the market, I could probably get away without AA but I would REALLY prefer to run the game at native resolution.

So, C2D E6750 @3.2GHz, ATI 5870/6870 at 2560x1440. Aiming for mostly normal settings, high objects, low PP, let's say no AA and 30fps in missions. Doable or maybe not?

Hey wondering how well my rig could play this at medium settings and no aa or pp.

Athlon II x4 640

5670 1gb VRAM

6gb ddr2 800

1366x768 res

Ok guys! First let me say I have played since the get go, I bought Ofp the day it came out, as with everything else released up to Arma 1, Then Arma 2 came out and I had no computer that was able to handle it. Now I have mapped out my new P.C Finally and will finally get my Arma 2/OA fix.

I-7 950 at 3.06ghz (My first buy, got in on black friday for 200$ :)

evga 480 or the new 580 (please help me decide on this one)

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 X58 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MOBO

Ram: G.SKILL PI Series 3 x 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 CL7 (6 gigs)

HD: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

These are the most important parts oblivsouly, I don't need to mention my case, power supply, etc.... But What do you guys thing? Anyone have something similar? Any changes I should make? How would you expect this for Arma 2 OA I wan't to run everything high besides Post processing.

Ok guys! First let me say I have played since the get go, I bought Ofp the day it came out, as with everything else released up to Arma 1, Then Arma 2 came out and I had no computer that was able to handle it. Now I have mapped out my new P.C Finally and will finally get my Arma 2/OA fix.

These are the most important parts oblivsouly, I don't need to mention my case, power supply, etc.... But What do you guys thing? Anyone have something similar? Any changes I should make? How would you expect this for Arma 2 OA I wan't to run everything high besides Post processing.

To be honost, that thing could probably run high besides post at 60+ fps, probably could run maxed with 50+ fps, not sure about that though.

If you're satisfied with 15-20 fps you can really turn up the settings. I'd recommend running at 2500vd. low terrain detail and low model detail. Post off, aa off, shadows on high, rest on medium. That'll probably get you 30+ fps in most missions.

Can I turn the view distance down a little bit and does the terrain detail and low model detail make the visuals bad and really save lots of FPS? Does Post affect FPS?

Also, what does video memory control?

I think it still looks pretty good on low. Postprocessing stresses the gpu, so if you run on gpu intensive settings it'll lower fps. Video memory is just for the game to know how much video memory it can use. putting it higher then actual memory will cause performance problems.

580 GTX, there is no point in buying a 480 GTX at this point.

580 GTX, there is no point in buying a 480 GTX at this point.

Well, unless you take the price into account. Here the cheapest 580 that's actually in stock is about 475,- a 480 is "only" 350.-

the 580 is 35% more expensive and 20% faster. Although the 580 is also a lot quieter, looks cleaner and has overcurrent protection.

Well, unless you take the price into account. Here the cheapest 580 that's actually in stock is about 475,- a 480 is "only" 350.-

the 580 is 35% more expensive and 20% faster. Although the 580 is also a lot quieter, looks cleaner and has overcurrent protection.

I don't take price into account when it comes to enthusiast gear and that is not a 'budget' build.

BUT, if you take price into account, I would still go with the 580 :D

The 480 is an exceptional card, but if you are buying now, the 580 is the best choice and the fastest card.

In North America, you can get 480s for as low as ~$350.00 now,

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=51952&vpn=ZT%2D40101%2D10P&manufacture=Zotac&promoid=1264

the cheapest 580 is ~$500.00.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/56599/015-P3-1580-AR/eVGA/

I'm not sure where Leon is or what currency he is working in as he doesn't specify.

Edited by BangTail

It doesn't matter what currency I use when making a price/performance guesstimate.

Or you can go with Crossfire'ing 6870s. A single 6870 barely performs under a 5870 and is much cheaper.

And it scales ridiculously well in Crossfire.

Or you can go with Crossfire'ing 6870s. A single 6870 barely performs under a 5870 and is much cheaper.

And it scales ridiculously well in Crossfire.

No thanks, that would involve using AMD's drivers.

Ugh :(

The 6870 is a great card but AMD's drivers consistently leave a bad taste in my mouth.

it's always something,

580 gtx nvidia with good driver support would be perfect for arma, but it doesn't have all the audiocapabilities which you see in cheaper cards. duh..

it's always something,

580 gtx nvidia with good driver support would be perfect for arma, but it doesn't have all the audiocapabilities which you see in cheaper cards. duh..

Yah, because people buy high end video cards for their audio capability :rolleyes:

hey guys how do you load that inbuilt benchmark test that you talk about? I cant find anything like that in the menu or anywhere else

Hey guys,

Im building a new rig and found some good prices in this system:

PII 965 BB

HD 6870

4gb ram

1tb Sata 3 HDD

Should it run Arma 2 well?

Or intel´s i5 or i7 r the way to go??

I know that other games run just fine, but Arma 2 is objective.

I hope people still take a look at this thread.

This is my specs what can i expect.

Cpu:AMD Phenom X3 8600 Toliman 2.3GHz (OCed to 2.7ghz)

GPU: XFX HD5830

Memory: Crucial 4gb 1066mhz

HDD- 7200rpm

I know im going to have a major bottle neck on the cpu but can i at least turn the graphics up to high running 1920x1080

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and also new to pc gaming. I primarily chose to switch to pc gaming because of Arma2, definitely a good looking game. I know this question has been asked a million times but, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of performance i can expect out of this laptop. I've recently ordered an Alienware m17x with the following specs. - Intel® Core™ i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache

-Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

-CrossfireXâ„¢ 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeonâ„¢ Mobility HD 5870

-17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)

-6GB Memory (1x 2GB, 1x 4GB DDR3

-320GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD

Any and all answers/comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)