Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Building a computer here in a month and my main focuz is gonna be playing ARMA2. How will this PC run arma 2

Intel Pentium G6950 2.8Ghz

4GB 1600MHZ

Nvidia GTS 450 (fermi)

Want to know at what settings i will be able to play ARMA 2 and at about what Frames if u know. WOuld appreciate any help, thanks.

It'll run ok, I used to play with a slower system 1920x1200, mostly medium. If your motherboard supports overclocking and you can find an aftermarket cooler (almost any will do, intel one is super small) that processor should go far.

If budget allows I suggest you get a 460 768mb, they're not much (30 euros) more expensive and much faster.

hi how would this run arma 2?:

Athlon II x4 640 (3.0ghz)

4gb Kingston 1333mhz

Asus Radeon 5770 1gb

thanks for your help!

hi how would this run arma 2?:

Athlon II x4 640 (3.0ghz)

4gb Kingston 1333mhz

Asus Radeon 5770 1gb

thanks for your help!

Are you building yourself of buying somewhere, what are your options and budget? The above system should run it reasonably well (2k vd medium details) but with the same money you can buy something faster or you can get a cheaper system that should run it just as well.

i am just upgrading the graphics card from the godawful 4550 that came with my prebuilt computer :).

I got the prebuilt at a bargain price secondhand though (150 uk pounds :). The problem is that if i wanted a better graphics card than the 5770 i would have to do things like upgrading my PSU, and to be honest, i'm not the most computer savvy person on the planet.

Thanks again

Changing the psu isn't hard, the cables only fit on the right spots. A 5750 or 70 is pretty easy on the power consumption but you should still check it. There's probably a sticker on the psu, how many A is on +12V?

its a 450w, which is the requirement for a 5770. Anything better would require an upgrade but my money is not stretchy enough to get a 5830 + a PSU right now....

gpu's use pretty much only the 12V line, if your psu has 30A on the 12V line you could run faster gpu's as well. A gtx460 is 30% faster than a 5770 and only 20 euro's more.

Edited by Leon86

that's interesting dude i'll look into that one. I've pretty much stuck with ATI as its what i have always had (not the best reason i know), but i'll check out some reviews...

Intel G6950 2.8ghz dual core

Nvidia GTS450 1 gb 128-bit

4 gb 1600mhz RAM

OR

AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2 ghz

Radeon 5770 1gb 128-bit

4gb 1600MHZ RAM

which will run Arma 2 better and why, and atwhat settings will i most likely be able to play at?

4 gb 1600mhz RAM

OR

Radeon 5770 1gb 128-bit

4gb 1600MHZ RAM

which will run Arma 2 better and why, and atwhat settings will i most likely be able to play at?

this post is with an older version of arma, on that (heavy) test the second system is faster. but with 12.2 and 13.2 there's not much between them.

the radeon 5770 is faster than the 450, but if you're not buying pre-built I'd get a gtx460 or one of the new ati 6xxx's

4 gb 1600mhz RAM

OR

Radeon 5770 1gb 128-bit

4gb 1600MHZ RAM

Neither. Dont waste your money on budget stuff, only the best stuff can run ArmA2 at good FPS.

i am just upgrading the graphics card from the godawful 4550 that came with my prebuilt computer :).

I got the prebuilt at a bargain price secondhand though (150 uk pounds :). The problem is that if i wanted a better graphics card than the 5770 i would have to do things like upgrading my PSU, and to be honest, i'm not the most computer savvy person on the planet.

Thanks again

Go for 750w PSU and dual 6870 or wait for 6970 series, meanwhile that just buy an intel i7 930 or an AMD P2 955, or just a hexa core. ...If you're gonna do something else, don't do it because you're an idiot for wanting to play arma with shit hardware. It is worth it, anything else is retard-tier for Call of Duties.

Go for 750w PSU and dual 6870 or wait for 6970 series, meanwhile that just buy an intel i7 930 or an AMD P2 955, or just a hexa core. ...If you're gonna do something else, don't do it because you're an idiot for wanting to play arma with shit hardware. It is worth it, anything else is retard-tier for Call of Duties.

why would you recommend this to someone who is clearly on a budget? First of all arma 2 is very rarely gpu limited, so no point in getting 2 6870's. Also a 930 will perform on par with an i5-760, so no point in getting that either (at least not for arma). The phenomII 955 is a good choice for armaII but an athlonII x3 will cost you half for only a 20% performance decrease. Playing arma on a budget is perfectly possible.

Pointless overkill. There's no need for such a powerful and expensive PSU. As for your choice of cards, they're equally over-sized. Leon86 said it well "you can run A2 fine on mid-range hardware". You just have to be smart rather than simply throwing money at it and hoping it sticks.

Moreover contrary to your declaration "Anything better would require an upgrade" couldn't be further from the truth. Apart from the very top end (enthusiast) cards, practically all modern cards have similar, if not lower power requirements. If you like ATi then I'd opt for a 6850 - powerful, reasonably priced and meagre (only 19W more than 5770). Provided you have a decent PSU 450W should be fine. So the money you save on replacing your PSU you can put towards the 6850. I'd recommend the Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. This review analyses its power requirements in quite some detail (OK its the 6870 puts its comparable).

Here's a decent benchmark that allow you to compare the gains that might be delivered by upgrading from a 5770 to 6850.

Edited by domokun

Pointless overkill. There's no need for such a powerful and expensive PSU. As for your choice of cards, they're equally over-sized. Leon86 said it well "you can run A2 fine on mid-range hardware". You just have to be smart rather than simply throwing money at it and hoping it sticks.

Moreover contrary to your declaration "Anything better would require an upgrade" couldn't be further from the truth. Apart from the very top end (enthusiast) cards, practically all modern cards have similar, if not lower power requirements. If you like ATi then I'd opt for a 6850 - powerful, reasonably priced and meagre (only 19W more than 5770). Provided you have a decent PSU 450W should be fine. So the money you save on replacing your PSU you can put towards the 6850. I'd recommend the Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. This review analyses its power requirements in quite some detail (OK its the 6870 puts its comparable).

Here's a decent benchmark that allow you to compare the gains that might be delivered by upgrading from a 5770 to 6850.

I wouldn't say save money on the powersupply, go buy a 650 watt that way you can future proof yourself.

I have a 5970 and was wondering if trifire with a 5870 will improve fps?I want more 3d resolution than 100%, like 133 to 150%.

And more oc on my cpu will help?

my setup

i7 920 4.2 ghz wc

8gb ram 1600

5970 radeon wc

ssd for arma 2

Thanks.

Edited by Grillob3

I wouldn't say save money on the powersupply, go buy a 650 watt that way you can future proof yourself.

Future-proof what? He's on a budget and on a platform that likely needs upgrading. Upgrading the CPU and GPU are going to improve his A2 experience. Not a new PSU. Unless you're running a multi-GPU setup (expensive) anything past 450W is fairly pointless these days.

I have a 5970 and was wondering if trifire with a 5870 will improve fps?I want more 3d resolution than 100%, like 133 to 150%.

And more oc on my cpu will help?

my setup

i7 920 4.2 ghz wc

8gb ram 1600

5970 radeon wc

ssd for arma 2

Thanks.

I doubt you'll have any performance increase with 3 cards, dont even think anyone has tried it. A faster cpu will always help in some situations but you're already quite close to the limit. the couple % you could clock further won't be noticable.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Future-proof what? He's on a budget and on a platform that likely needs upgrading. Upgrading the CPU and GPU are going to improve his A2 experience. Not a new PSU. Unless you're running a multi-GPU setup (expensive) anything past 450W is fairly pointless these days.

Well, there's nothing wrong with buying an expensive good quality psu, if you want an 80plus gold psu there's a good chance a 600W one is actually the cheapest. Recently my psu died and I got an AX750 (80+gold with 7yrs warranty). 750W is complete overkill with my q6600 and gtx260, I guess my pc uses 300W at most, but I didn't want to spend only 40 euros less on something with 3yrs warranty.

But if you just want to power your pc and dont care about efficiency, silence, quality components and the technological (and/or design) advances the 80+ gold psu's have just get a sufficient psu of a proper manufacturer.

Well, there's nothing wrong with buying an expensive good quality psu, if you want an 80plus gold psu there's a good chance a 600W one is actually the cheapest. Recently my psu died and I got an AX750 (80+gold with 7yrs warranty). 750W is complete overkill with my q6600 and gtx260, I guess my pc uses 300W at most, but I didn't want to spend only 40 euros less on something with 3yrs warranty.

But if you just want to power your pc and dont care about efficiency, silence, quality components and the technological (and/or design) advances the 80+ gold psu's have just get a sufficient psu of a proper manufacturer.

His PSU hasn't died. He's on a budget. So no point in getting another PSU unless he needs it, right?

My choice of PSU, their efficiency, silence and reliability are entirely incidental. We're talking about HIS needs, not yours, nor mine. As it happens you couldn't be further from the truth - I've been building quiet and efficient PCs for years.

Thanks!

Some people are using these configuration 5970+5870 or 5850 getting higher fps but i did not see any test in arma 2!Just crisys and blablabla games...and i did tri but could not get it to work right in arma! But i was getting the same fps and maybe was cpu limited plus some weird blackscreens during the gameplay.so i could not try it right!

But thanks anyway! :)

Which alienware laptop is best for a2 and oa: m11x, m15x or m17x? And how is the area 51 alx desktop going to run a2 and oa?

Please post the specs (processor, gpu, ammount of ram). That way we can tell you without having to google all those systems.

I haven't read the other posts in here because they're probably all asking "what's the best rig" etc etc.

For those wondering, this is mine, and I'd average around 50fps.

i7 quad core 950 3.06ghz - ATI 5970 2GB - Asus P6X58D-E - 6GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 2000mhz - 150gb WD velociraptor SATA 3gb/s 16mb cache 10000rpm - Corsair 850W PSU - Coolit Eco Advanced Liquid CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower.

Baring in mind, I only have ARMA2 and BF2 installed on it, so a lot of free disk space.

Ok I've googled and the m17x seems the best of the 3. Which laptop, any brand in general is the best for A2 and OA?

Brand doesn't matter, only the used processor/gpu. Dont expect good gaming performance from laptops, even if they are rediculously expensive.